First hi-fi setup advice please!

dangul

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to put together my first separate hi-fi system including turntable and would appreciate advice on a couple of matters please!

I've been to a couple of different stores and had some good conversations with some people and done a fair bit of research. I should say that I've not listened to anything as yet, but will of course do so before buying. However, I have a provisional idea with a couple of options here and there and any comments are welcome:

Amp: Marantz pm6005 / Rotel RA-11

Turntable: Rega RP1 / Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX2s

I would also like to be able to play music from my laptop which obviously with both amps I can do via optical - but I would also like the option of being able to connect wirelessly. RA-11 has bluetooth adaptor included according to their site (http://www.musicmatters.co.uk/amplifiers/rotel-ra11-amplifier.html), and while I understand wireless is never going to be as good as wired, it's a convenience I'd like as I will occasionally play from my phone as well. With the marantz I'd purchase a separate bluetooth adaptor.

(Incidentally I had read good things about the Yamaha R-N500 and I believe it would cover all my needs, but was essentially laughed at condescendingly when I mentioned this in one of the stores, so it would be interesting to know if any is familiar with this at all).

Now a potentially risky comment in a hi-fi forum - I do prefer the look of both the Rotel and the Rega - while not an absolute priority, I do work in design, so I can't deny this being a consideration for me! Apologies if this offends some!

Other info: Budget: Under £1000 - ideally closer to the £800 mark...but I could probably convince myself to go higher following advice and more importantly listening

Music type: Such a wide range from Classical to blues to jazz to pop that I don't think it will necessarily define amp/speaker type.

Medium room size.

I hope that covers everything, any comments and advice greatly appreciated.

Daniel

TRENDING THREADS