First Floorstanding Speakers

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
Looking to get myself my first floor standing speakers for my 40th but somewhat wanting to jump on sale/clearance prices of Monitor Audio Silver series or Triangle Borea series. I have a Lyngdorf 1120 amp with Dali Menuet SE right now and it plays more then loud enough. Looking at the MA Silver 300 or 500 they recommend a 80w amp at least but they look more efficient then my Menuets. Should I be concerned at all. Main use is TV and movies in the evening playing somewhat quietly while kids sleep. Our room is 13 x 40 but we are 10' away or workout/play with kids in the remaining area with music on. I am usually about -10DB at most on the Lyngdorf amp when I get to uncomfortable levels of volume.

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn't have any concerns but I would urge you to audition if you can.
I’ve been able to listen to Borea stand mounts which I liked but otherwise it’s a 8-10 hour trip with 2 ferry rides to go audition the Monitor Audio sadly. Most of my interest was my brother in law loves his and he loves my Dali Meniets so I probably would like them. Terrible reasoning probably on my part.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
I suspect floor standers in that price bracket will lag behind your current speakers. Only one way to find out though and starting with the Dali range seems sensible. Good luck.

Reactions: valkyrieorion

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
I suspect floor standers in that price bracket will lag behind your current speakers. Only one way to find out though and starting with the Dali range seems sensible. Good luck.
Yeah the Menuet is a great speaker in my mind, I am moving it up to the living room on the wall so we have some music up there while we eat or kids play.

Reactions: Basso

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
The Oberons are a couple of steps lower in the Dali range so might be lacking a bit from the higher range model that the OP is used to. Only one way to find out. I have the 7s and think they are great.

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
In the end I purchased the Monitor Audio. They are a great speaker but they were to bright for me (had bad headaches with them). I listened to some Elac Carina and found them to be more laid back and relaxing for us in the evening. My amp is decent with them, I am sure at some point I will get a more powerful amp but they fulfill what I was looking for. My only gripe is that something is wrong with the finish on one of the speakers. I didn't notice it until I got home. It looks like aa big blotch, and feels coarse and rough vs the rest of the cabinet feeling smooth. Hopefully it's a warranty thing as I've had them for one day, but will be a pain either with the 8 hour trip to take them back or having to ship them out.

doifeellucky

Based on the British Audiophiles (Tarun) recent review I think you’ll struggle to beat the Menuet SE’s. For an equivalent stand mount you’d probably need to spend 2k and he specifically mentioned they are very good at low volumes. However probably not ideal for your size of room so the Rubicon 2 could be a good option. Over budget though probably.

In the end I purchased the Monitor Audio. They are a great speaker but they were to bright for me (had bad headaches with them). I listened to some Elac Carina and found them to be more laid back and relaxing for us in the evening. My amp is decent with them, I am sure at some point I will get a more powerful amp but they fulfill what I was looking for. My only gripe is that something is wrong with the finish on one of the speakers. I didn't notice it until I got home. It looks like aa big blotch, and feels coarse and rough vs the rest of the cabinet feeling smooth. Hopefully it's a warranty thing as I've had them for one day, but will be a pain either with the 8 hour trip to take them back or having to ship them out.
What a shame. Are they in the black or white finish, or is it a natural wood? I wouldn’t expect a coarse patch on any cabinet unless was an unusual burr wood (which I’m sure it won’t be).

Definitely below par and replaceable I’d have thought.

Reactions: Al ears
Based on the British Audiophiles (Tarun) recent review I think you’ll struggle to beat the Menuet SE’s. For an equivalent stand mount you’d probably need to spend 2k and he specifically mentioned they are very good at low volumes. However probably not ideal for your size of room so the Rubicon 2 could be a good option. Over budget though probably.
I would say the natural progression for the Menuets are the Rubicon 2s. Whether that step up is enough for the OP only he could answer as I've not heard the little Menuets

valkyrieorion

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
What a shame. Are they in the black or white finish, or is it a natural wood? I wouldn’t expect a coarse patch on any cabinet unless was an unusual burr wood (which I’m sure it won’t be).

Definitely below par and replaceable I’d have thought.
They are in a black finish. The reseller and Elac are looking into replacing them so we will see where it goes. Covering a couple things written by others, I think trying a couple different speakers has made me appreciate the Menuets so much more. That being said moving to a larger speaker has been very enjoyable. I had a chance to sell the Menuets to someone and I am really glad I stayed firm on my price and am keeping them for our living room. I would love to go higher in the Dali range but I am in the classic kids through school/ house to pay off. At least with the Carina we enjoy the sound for watching TV and movies and can play loud when working out playing some tunes while not giving me a headache.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts