Difference between Triangle BR08 and BR09 speakers

MagnusPloug

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,
We are in the market for new speakers. We have the Dali oberon 7 home on trial at the moment, and also want to test the Triangle Borea speakers. We are a little in dubt as to wether the 08 or the 09 will best suit our needs. (this is our first speakers)

amp: Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

room: high ceilings (about 3.5 meters)
35m2

I dont think the extra bass output in itself is needed for us but are there other considerations when choosing between the two models.

- Do they perform equally well with music played at lower volumes?

- does the slightly higher sensitivity (92 vs 92.5) make a difference in combination with the amp that we should take into account

- We use it witout a subwoofer - and the br09 has a frequenzy down to 35Hz compared to 40Hz - will we notice a difference here (used for rock/pop, classical and jazz)?

thanks, Magnus

Reactions: valkyrieorion

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Don't think the BR09 as good as the BR08. I am looking to get the BR08 when the price is right... currently £799 from Richer Sounds.
If you need bigger sound then the Focal Chora 826 seem to be well suited for bigger rooms at £999.

Review

Reactions: Al ears
Don't think the BR09 as good as the BR08. I am looking to get the BR08 when the price is right... currently £799 from Richer Sounds.
If you need bigger sound then the Focal Chora 826 seem to be well suited for bigger rooms at £999.

Review
I would agree. OK really has to audition though. Or buy cheap with a chance he will have to sell them on if they don't suit.
When it comes to speakers it doesn't matter how good the reviews are if they don't suit your ears then it's pointless. Best to buy some you can actually get to audition.
To the OP:
The sensitivity and frequency range differences are going to be hardly noticeable

Reactions: lyricman

robdmarsh

Your amp should have no trouble driving these speakers (either of them). My Triangle Titus are 90db sensitivity and my 50wpc Denon amp is a very good match for them. Larger cabinets mean maybe a bit more power is needed but I think the Lyngdorf should be fine.

MagnusPloug

Jan 19, 2022
Visit site
Thank you all for your very helpfull comments.

Can anything be said about if either will perform better than the other at lower (everyday) volumes?

Magnus

Bruzli

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
I had few days BR09 with Y RN803D in a space double than yours. Love them.
Competent dealers told me 09 vs 08 is same speaker, only matter of power and space.
As for 09, it is not for low volume. My first discovery is they need high volume to shine.

Popit

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi, thanks for information. I have B&W 603 and want to change it for Triangle BR09 or BR08.
Will I loss music details ? Vocal with B&W is good but a little bit to hight (in front of the music). And bass is not enough at low volume.
With BR08 or BR09, Will I regret my purchase and have to resell them ?
Unfortunately in my region it is impossible to listen to the Triangles. To listen to them I have to drive 2.5 hours.
Thanks.
Eric T.

Bruzli

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Don't know about BW, did not have the chance to listen to them.
I had 3050i, still love them at 400 eur a pair.
As I said, I first went for Borea BR09, in a 60 sqm open living, they are definitely an upgrade from 3050i but need some time to break in. Borea is a killer range of speakers, I would not hesitate. Details are there, very good for the price (1100 euro a pair), bass at low volumes - I think depends much on the amplification, should have the 'loudness' control, in general Borea is very dependent on good source, good records. Voice on Borea is also quite direct, in front, very clear. Bass with good records and high volume is lime thunder, try JM Jarre, Waiting for Cousteau, Calypso pt 2...

As regards the voices... after testing 09, I decided I want more Triangle in my room so I asked dealers opinion what would be next level from Triangle to mark another upgrade so finally I came ended up with a set of Australe EZ Chataignier. So, Australe deals differently with voices, voice is still very clear but somehow a little behind, kind of one step back, I felt the difference as voices at lower volumes in the beginning. Also, Australe is very enjoyable at any volume level, no difference. Only telling you about Australe as a comparation to Borea.

From what I see as specs, no reason to ditch the BW 603, they are 3 way, powerful speakers... only sensitivity is less. Also from the price perspective, Borea are in a lower league seems. So, I would nlt expect a massive upgrade.

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
I ended up buying Borea BR08. When I connected them up I was somewhat underwhelmed and was reaching for my Tannoy DC6T-SE's to put hem back on. Thought this is my first bad purchase. That was 5 days ago and have put 30 hours on them and I am starting to smile. I have a 20m2 room and they are BIG and have a big sound so definitely won't work in smaller spaces. Maybe another week and they should be sounding even better.

Reactions: valkyrieorion
I ended up buying Borea BR08. When I connected them up I was somewhat underwhelmed and was reaching for my Tannoy DC6T-SE's to put hem back on. Thought this is my first bad purchase. That was 5 days ago and have put 30 hours on them and I am starting to smile. I have a 20m2 room and they are BIG and have a big sound so definitely won't work in smaller spaces. Maybe another week and they should be sounding even better.

ive got about 200 hours on my new Triangle Genese Lyrr, they took well over a 150 hours to start sounding right. These like to be set wide apart too, small amount of toe in. I also thought I’d got a dud when I first listened to them, the soundstage was a mess, so my advice is to persevere, I’m sure they will eventually sound right.

Reactions: lyricman

lyricman

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Certainly bedding in nicely now and are now surpassing the Tannoys. I also invested in some Audioquest Rocket 11 speaker cables to try. £50 for 2x2mtr lengths bare cable and they are certainly very good and well worth the money.
I currently have 5 cm of toe in left to right 40 and 45 cm from wall. How much toe in do you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts