First ever audition/demo this week. Any tips?

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading a lot of posts over the last few weeks as I'm making my first ever leap into quality hifi. Based on reviews and recommendations on this forum, I bought (blindly) a Rega RP6 w/ exact. It should be here in about 4 weeks as the dealer had to order it in.

I don't drive, nor do I live close to any stores therefore I'll have to travel a good 2 hours to the dealer, so I really want to make this visit worth my while. I have zero experience with good audio kit. Again, from this forum and from friends I have been advised to bring songs that I'm very familiar with and see how they sound, which is quite straight forward. From there, the questions begin:

Because I only have a turntable, what should I start with? Amp, speakers or the combination of both? What is the best process?

Ideally I would like to hear about 5 amps, everything in Kef's R and Rega's Rs speaker range and maybe a suggestion or two from the store. Would that be a bit overkill? I've never done this before and don't really know what the possibilities are. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
When you've picked your tracks. I'd say listen, listen and listen to them until the demo so they're really familiar.

Maybe limit to half a dozen or less, to concentrate your mind.

An all Rega system might be all you need, but have an open mind. The dealer is there to help, not to steer you his way.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
The main thing is to listen to your own music, tracks you know well and to trust your own ears. Don't let the salesman sway your opinion.

If there is a choice of demo room then find something that most closely matches the room you'll have the gear in (in terms of size and soft/hard surfaces).

Speakers will make the biggest difference so I'd start with them on an amp in the middle price of what you're aiming for and then, when happy with the speakers try the amp options.

Listen at a volume at which you feel you'd spend most time listening at home, the character of equipment can vary with volume quite a lot.

When comparing final choices swap more than once, often when changing you'll think the "new" piece sounds better but when swapping back the difference may not be so clear.

Don't necessarily get hung up on listening to whole tracks, usually you only need a short time listening to something you know well to know if the sound is right (for you) or not.

Don't rush straight into listening after the long drive, let your ears have time to recover from the trip (road noise can be quite loud depending on the car) and don't blast the car stereo all the way there! Hearing is often relative - go into a night club for an hour and loud noises will seem much quieter for hours afterwards.

Take as much time as you need, don't be pressured and if you're not happy then don't buy!

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Jim, speakers make the biggest difference to the sound, so I would hear a range of them first, about half the speakers I heard I did not like, so its quite easy for me to discount various ones. Having found 1 or 2 speakers you like then hear some different amps, don't try to hear to many in one demo or you will get confused and it will be too rushed. The other problem is hearing all the amps you want unless you ahve a large dealer you may find it difficult, I had to go to 4 different dealers and even then could not compare that much, try finding dealers that have, Creek, Epos, Dyns, Spendor, Totem and Marantz Pearl Lite in stock. Check the amp has a decent phono stage if ypu are TT based, start with Rega then I suggest Arcam A19, Creek 50A, Audiolab 8200, Marantz Pearl Lite, Musical Fid. M3i and Roksan Kandy K2.

Yes take some music with you, as taking LPs you may want to check which LPs the dealers has in stock to save carting loads of LPs around.

I would also take some music you are not so keen on, you maybe surprised that on the right system you really like it. Also take a wide range, take something that will test the speakers, like bass and treble. Most complaints about speakers seem to be about them sounding bright or harsh, so drum cymbals I find is a good test. What sort of music do you play?

I would not rush into buying anything, some systems sound good initially but make sure you can live with them, some revealing, detailed systems can be tiring after a while.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I urge you to try a Rega Brio R and RS3 speakers - lovely match with an RP6 - I am sure you will enjoy it, however try some other amps/speakers too but for the money the Rega gives the most buck for your dollar in my opinion.

The phono stage in the Brio R is excellent and was made for for Rega TTs.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
All the abouve...!

And take adventage to be in one place that they have several models, and diferent price range equipment, for you to ear the diference from a 1000€ speakers to a 500€ ones.

You only will know what "your"speakers/amp sound like if you connect them with diferent speakers/amp. Swap belween them!

Do you have a sound signature in your mind, if you do, try to achieve the sound you have in your mind, but will be playing thrught the speakers!

You'll know when you get there...

... And have fun !!!!

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I would play mainly post-punk, modern indie, a bit of electronic, a bit of soul and occasionally jazz & classical. No acoustic or singer-songwriter stuff for me. I'd say the volume levels would usually be medium and occasionally loud. I do wish a home demo was an option though because I have extremely high ceilings in the house.

As Steve suggested I am definitely going to test out an all Rega set-up just to see (Brio-R & RS3-RS7). If I like what I hear I'm considering buying my speakers then and rolling the dice by ordering the Rega Elicit R. I think he has the Arcam A19, Pearl Lite, Naim Nait xs and he also mentioned the Linn Majik I which I saw wasn't reviewed too favourably but worth a listen since I'll be there. In terms of speakers that I can afford, i only really think he has Kef, Linn, Rega,

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of difference £500-£1000 makes between items eg. the Kef R300 to the R700 and will I actually even notice or appreciate them because I am very new to all of this.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Try the Kef LS50s as well. For your music and volume I would have thought the RK, Pearl Lite and MF would be a better choice.

What part of country do you live?

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
So those amps may be better for my music? As I said before, I'm open to suggestion. I will only be playing vinyl on this system. I live in Kildare in Ireland. There is a Dublin-based wevsite that does the Roksan Kandy, but they don't really have a showroom. I asked them about a month ago if I could listen to the LS50's and the Roksan but they are still waiting to get some from the Kef rep.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Richer Sounds in Dublin?

They usually have the RK in stock.

I only say that anbout the amps because I found some 50W amps did not sound good when you turned the volume up past 11 o'clock, depends on the speakers as well of course. The LS50s need a bit of driving I found as well, the R100s maybe better for less powerful amps.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I would also take some music you are not so keen on, you maybe surprised that on the right system you really like it.

Another thought about music for auditions: I'd take along at least one piece of quite complex music, a track with lots of relatively high tempo stuff and intricate rhythms going on. I find that sort of thing is good for sorting the sheep from the goats.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I am not going to add to the excellent demo advice that you have already received, but if you intend coming North, you are heading into my patch......so if there is anything at all that I can help with, just ask.

Would you be on public transport or getting a lift, if you head to Belfast?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
With you my friend expensive takes on a frightning tone :O

:grin:

Quality comes at a price!
evil.png

TRENDING THREADS