First ever audition/demo this week. Any tips?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE

Sorry for the delay everyone, work's been pretty nuts over the last few weeks. CNO, thanks for the offer but I figured on my first time I'd go it alone. In hindsight, a 3rd opinion would have been good, but we got there in the end. I'll try and get through this now:

My songs that I brought, all on LP were:

"Tea For Two" - Thelonious Monk

"Maybe the People Would Be The Times or Between Clark and Hilldale" - Love

"Freddie's Dead" - Curtis Mayfield

"Daydream" - Beach Fossils

"Electricity" - Captain Beefheart

"The Girl From Ipanema) - Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

"Baby's Arms" - Kurt Vile

"Icky Thump" - The White Stripes

In hidsight, I really should have brought some Bowie, but oh well.

The turtable was a Linn and I have no idea what cartridge or stylus was on it. The dealer had things he wanted to show me and wanted to work in a scale. First up the speaker scale, then up the amp scale, then down the speaker scale.

First thing I listened to was the Rega Brio R & the Kef LS50's. The first song was Freddie's Dead and the second song was Electricity. Neither of these really impressed, and it turns out that the pressing I have of the Curtis Mayfield song isn't great. The next song was Baby's Arms and it was astonishing. It seemed as if the song was jumping out at me and it sounded fantastic. We then moved to the other songs and it was when we played Around the World that I realized I would really need some floorstanders. If I listened to acoustic stuff or quieter music mainly, I may have just bought the Brio and the LS50's and called it a day.

Next was the Brio R and the Rega Rs5's. Going into the day, I had a feeling that I would really like this a lot which would then spark me to wait for the Elicit R and leave it at that. It definitely lacked the detail of the LS50's and although there was a little more bass, it really didn't shine for me. i fond that if you sat to the side of the speaker, it sounded a little bit better but nothing to get excited over. Daft Punk sounded good, but nothing else really stood out. We moved on.

By dealer suggestion, the Brio R was then teamed up with the Kef R700's. My first initial thought was that they are quite big and I wasn't really sure if I would need that much speaker. I was also very concious of the major jump in price, however I was more excited by the prospect of being blown away by the speaker. There was definitely more bass, but it really seemed less controlled. The bass seemed to ease or seep out at times as opposed to there being a punch. Something wasn't right, so we moved on and this time up the amp range.

Again, by dealer suggestion we were shown the Linn Majik I with the R700's. I know whathifi gave it 3 stars, but I personally don't put too much stock in reviews and view them as more or less a way to weed out things that are really awful. With that said, I was expecting at least twice the amp the Brio R is, especially considering the fact that it is triple the price. Because this was essentially the most expensive amp and speakers that I could afford (£3600), we decided to milk it and listen to every single song that I brought. The standout was The Girl From Ipanema. It sounded really lush yet also clear, it was pretty magical. There's a part in the song where the dude's singing in Portuguese, and that sounded amazing. Stupidly this was the first time we put this record on and would have loved to have heard it in previous rounds. We put on the Beach Fossils record for the first time as well, and this made me question my love for new music. It sounded absolutely awful and hollow. I was freaked out that the 80 or so new release records I've bought in the last two years would all sound awful.

My thirst still wasn't quenched. I wasn't really amazed like I felt I should have been. The dealer was with a couple, and I had a moment to look through his showroom. I noticed that there was a smaller pair of Kef's there, which turned out to be the R500's. They looked the part, but I wasn't sure if we'd be allowed to listen to them. We asked them if we could listen to them and he connected them to the Linn Amp again. This was the best sounding duo up to that point. For lack of a better term, it just seemed quicker than the Kef R700's. We listened to quite a few songs, and it was then that I decided that these were probably the speakers I was going to go for. Thank god that I had that wander because I was considering leaving after the R700's.

At that point I was pondering what I should do next. I had figured that I really liked those speakers and most likely wanted them, however I felt that something was not right. I was quite burnt out as I had been listening for over 4 hours straight at this point. That was the most I've wanted a cigarette since I quit smoking a while ago. I didn't really know what to say or do because we were very well looked after by the man and for the most part he completely stayed away, which I admired. I felt he didn't have the product range that would allow me to find the right partner for the R500's. I just had a gut feeling that the problem was with the amp.

Through the fuzziness I remembered that one of the sole purposes of going to the place was that he stocked the Arcam FMJ A19. I completely forgot about it. I asked him if he had one available to listen to and he did. I was extremely tired at that point. I was kind of thinking that my judgement could be off and not to dismiss the set-up as being really awful just because I was no longer in the mood. I went over the record player, dropped the needle on "Electricity", sat back down and I kid you not, for the first time that day my hand was tapping my leg while my head started going to the music. It was great! I looked over at my friend (also burnt out at this point) was reacting in a similar fashion. We were excited again! After hours of analytical listening, we were finally enjoying ourselves! We enthusiastically went through every single song and everything sounded fantastic. Clean, detailed, punchy bass, vocals were nice. "Baby's Arms" sounded just as good as with the LS50. "Girl From Ipanema" sounded just as good if not better. "Around the World" sounded punchy with a controlled thunder. "Daydream" still sounded like a **** recorded, but not as **** as it had sounded before. It's as if a blanket had been lifted off each and every song, just slightly. I was truly happy.

We talked with the dealer, thanked him and I decided to sleep on it. On the 2 hour drive home I thought about the day, and thought about whether or not I should continue on with the search or not. I really liked how both the speakers looked and performed. Everything was right about them including the price. I thought about demoing some more amps, in particular Naim, Roksan, and Musical Fidelity, but I couldn't really conceive what more they could do. As I said before, listening to the Arcam A19 & the Kef R500's made me truly happy, therefore I made my decision.Everything sounded right in just the right ways.

The next day, I ordered everything. Not only that, but my ears absolutely killed me. I don't think I've done such a long streak of focused listening in a very long time. So now I'm waiting for the RP6 w/ Exact as well as the A19 and the R500's to arrive. Hopefully the Exact sounds ok with what I bought
smiley-undecided.gif

And so concludes my first audition and my first Hi Fi purchase. Any thoughts? Did I do it all wrong? i guess I'll find out when I get everything set up in my house.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
And so concludes my first audition and my first Hi Fi purchase. Any thoughts? Did I do it all wrong? i guess I'll find out when I get everything set up in my house.

Hi Nicky, I hope Michael looked after you OK.

I described here how I got on doing something similar: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-kef-regaand-a-friend

Like you, I was very impressed with the R500s, which work very well in Lyric's demo room. When their shop was downstairs they had 4 rooms of different sizes.

I think the A19 is one of the very best amps in its price range; and the R500s are the best speakers I've heard in their range as well.........I think when you get the whole thing set up in your house you will be thrilled.

Let us know how this goes

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for such an enjoyable read and the only thing different that could have been done and I don't know if this was an option for you, was to home demo before a final decision.

Mac

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I apologise for the spelling errors and horrible grammar scattered throughout the post, I was quite rushed.

I must say, I was quite underwhelmed by the Kef R700's. Could they have sounded as brilliant and detailed as the smaller R500's if they were paired with a better amp?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
Thanks guys. I apologise for the spelling errors and horrible grammar scattered throughout the post, I was quite rushed.

I must say, I was quite underwhelmed by the Kef R700's. Could they have sounded as brilliant and detailed as the smaller R500's if they were paired with a better amp?

The same apply to R500.

I've never demo the Kef R range, in Portugal is almoust impossible, i've only one regret in my system, never had demo the R300... :?

Congrats on your purchase, there always be doubts, like mine of never having demo the R300,

Enjoy your new System, it must be very balanced! 8)

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the A19 is a step up from the Rega, wonder why the dealer was pushing that so much. You did alright but not impressed with the dealer.

Glad you got what you wanted and only one audition.

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I agree that the A19 is a step up from the Rega, wonder why the dealer was pushing that so much. You did alright but not impressed with the dealer.

I had expressed an interest in the Brio R prior to going there, so I really think he was allowing me to go up the speaker chain until I felt it was time to change amp. I really appreciated his hands-off approach. Bear in mind I had no idea what I was even listening for, as i had never heard high quality audio before in my life. I think next time I will be able to dismiss an amp or speaker within 1 or 2 songs as opposed to 5 to 8.

Another major factor is there aren't many decent dealers & even less showrooms in Ireland. Cloney Audio is meant to be really good, but I wanted to hear the LS50's as well as Rega stuff, neither of which they carry. There are dealers who claim to stock certain items, but you have to book a demo well in advance so they can contact the Kef rep, and get exactly what you are looking for, etc, etc...Looking back on this I think the fact that I would have to either fly to England, wait a month to test an amp locally, or wait again for the Elicit R to come out and go back to Belfast subconsciously was a factor.

It will be interesting once the stuff arrives, although I have no clue when that is. Hopefully it gels well with my room. If my music sounds like it did in the demo room all the time, I will be happy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
BigH said:

I had expressed an interest in the Brio R prior to going there, so I really think he was allowing me to go up the speaker chain until I felt it was time to change amp. I really appreciated his hands-off approach. Bear in mind I had no idea what I was even listening for, as i had never heard high quality audio before in my life. I think next time I will be able to dismiss an amp or speaker within 1 or 2 songs as opposed to 5 to 8.

Another major factor is there aren't many decent dealers & even less showrooms in Ireland. Cloney Audio is meant to be really good, but I wanted to hear the LS50's as well as Rega stuff, neither of which they carry. There are dealers who claim to stock certain items, but you have to book a demo well in advance so they can contact the Kef rep, and get exactly what you are looking for, etc, etc...Looking back on this I think the fact that I would have to either fly to England, wait a month to test an amp locally, or wait again for the Elicit R to come out and go back to Belfast subconsciously was a factor.

It will be interesting once the stuff arrives, although I have no clue when that is. Hopefully it gels well with my room. If my music sounds like it did in the demo room all the time, I will be happy.

That is fair enough then I did not realise that, just thought it was his set up. I think you need to give each system a fair amount of time, not sure 1-2 songs is really long enough. I tend to test different aspects first like bass and treble to see if they can cope and then a wide range of material. Demoing different gear is hard even in England, surprising how many dealers do not stock brands like Kef. If you want to hear brands like Creek, Epos, Spendor, Dyn, Totems and Harbeth good luck. Many dealers list they stock a brand but may only have 1 or 2 of their products. Also out of 5 demo rooms I would only rate 1 as being good.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
Yes, absolutely.
IMO. They are the sweetspot of the range, but need a decent amp to keep them under control..."ie. Something like a MF M6i

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Nicky-Distance said:
Yes, absolutely. IMO. They are the sweetspot of the range, but need a decent amp to keep them under control..."ie. Something like a MF M6i

Quite so, from the off I would have said the Rega was not upto it and after a few demos offered a better amp.

TRENDING THREADS