firmware update?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently puchased 2 pioneer blu-ray players (lx-91 and lx-51) but neither will show the main menu when played. They both go straight to playing the feature films (eg. the Matrix trilogy and the Dark Knight) and also only output dolby digital instead of HD audio. My other blu-ray discs play fine (eg.Wall-e, Quantum of Solace, Foo-fighters live, Planet earth boxset). I have downloaded the latest firmware (version 2.46) and this hasn't made a difference. Is there another firmware update i need ofr am i missing something else?

Arcam avr 600, pioneer krp600A

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Without checking some of the discs you've mentioned, this could just be default behaviour. I know for a fact that The Dark Knight just goes straight into the film rather than going to the menu and it also defaults to the Dolby Digital track - if you want the Dolby TrueHD track, you need to go into the menu, then go into the Audio settings and select it manually. This isn't a fault with your player or the disc, it's just the way it's been setup by the studio.

I'm not sure on the Matrix Trilogy (I only have the US version which is probably different), but can check Wall-E and Quantum of Solace to see what their default behaviour is tomorrow - too late in the day now!

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
yes just be playing dark knight on my sony bdp 1se and it goes straight to the film also defaults to dolby digital i had to select dolby true hd via pop up menu

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Tested Wall-E and Quantum of Solace - both default to loading the menu first and also default to the DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack when you play without having to choose it from the menu. Also tried my US copy of The Matrix and this also defaults to going straight into the movie and selects the Dolby Digital track by default rather than the Dolby TrueHD.

So I'm reckoning this is the issue as opposed to anything with your player. It seems to be that some studios decide this is something people want and I remember some DVDs also go straight into the film as well so I don't think this is new to Blu-Rays. As for the soundtracks, I agree that it's annoying they don't default to the HD soundtrack automatically so this is just something you need to watch out for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts