Pioneer BDP-FD51 Blu-ray Review

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
This may be of interest to those who are not sure about the LX-71 and the FD-51 Here is a review of the FD-51 and the differences between the 2 players, with a £200 approx in price difference it seems a great buy.

71 compared to 51
+gold connectors (analogue)
+touch sensitive buttons
+chrome power/play button
+Metal Remote
+Higher quality DAC's
+Higher quality component video

NO DIFFERENCE IN PQ

REVIEW: Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray Disc Player

Review is based on v1.02 firmware.

Opening the box
When I first unpacked the Pioneer, it was evident that this player is built well. It weighed a ton more than my previous Panasonic BD30 and everything about it felt sturdier. Tray was nice and smooth and styling was good. The remote is adequate but the ENTER button on it feels kinda cheap; I have my Harmony 880 setup now, though, so it doesn't matter all too much.

Video
Getting down to brass tacks, the video quality of the BDP-51FD is second to none. It has builtin 8bit > 12bit per channel color upconversion, which no other player on the market features. When a film's master is prepared to be encoded for Blu-ray, that master has to be downconverted to 8bit - most studio masters are 10bit or 12bit. During the downconversion process to 8bit, BILLIONS of colors are lost. The Pioneer's color upconversion looks for hints of color loss in gradients, for example, and essentially injects new color into the picture in order to make color transitions more smooth and lifelike. When put next to a BD50 or PS3 for instance, the Pioneer is clearly king of video quality thanks to its color upconversion.

The Pioneer also gives you a ton of controls to tweak all aspects of the video, and even lets you send the original source resolution to a scaler just in case you have a scaler that is better than the one in the Pioneer. Paired with a scaling chip like Reon it will ensure highest quality deinterlacing for 1080i/30fps Blu-ray Discs as well as DVD. The player lets you force 1080p24 as well, since some A/V equipment require this due to HDMI stupidity. Overall, this player crushes every other player in the under-$1000 range when talking about video quality & tweaks.

The builtin DVD upconversion of the 51FD is good based on my HQV test results, however it is easily suprassed by high end processors like Reon, Realta, Qdeo, etc. So the 51FD's upconversion quality is much better than the Panasonic BD50, but yet worse than most high end video processing chips... For reference, I would position it a couple of notches above a Toshiba HD-A35, but a couple notches below a Toshiba HD-XA2. Then again if you use source direct to an external video processor, you can get results with this player superior to an XA2.

Audio
The audio on the Pioneer is also top notch. In addition to having jitter reduction circuits to ensure LPCM digital transmission is highest quality, it also has high-end Wolfson DACs for 7.1 analog output. The player does have bass management and level controls, though delay times are absent from the player. The sound quality overall, once again, is excellent.

This player supports decoding of all formats, but DTS-HDMA decoding will not be active until a future firmware update. Pioneer has promised it is coming though, and it is in the product's literature - so a bit of patience is needed here (besides, the 1.5mbps core sounds pretty much the same anyway). The player also supports bitstreaming. So no matter how you want your audio delivered, this machine has it covered!

While not quite as impressive as its video section, once again we have top notch quality in the audio department.

Speed
The 51FD struggles a bit in this area with its current firmware. It only takes 20 seconds to boot from cold off to power on, which is quick compared to competing players. However the Pioneer does take a long time to load discs with BD+ or heavy BD-J. Menu operation is snappy on most discs, with the exception of some select titles heavy on BD-J. This player is able to render BD-J menus fast as evidenced by the DVE disc's menus, so I believe it is simply not optimized yet. So Pioneer does adequately here, but could use improvement.

EDIT: As of the latest firmware, the Pioneer is now very fast in all menus including intensive BD-J menus.

Functionality
The player is very polished and the setup menus are all very smooth. There are a few glitches with certain titles (lip sync, resume problems) but it appears Pioneer has been very quick to resolve glitches thus far with this player with earlier firmwares. The 51FD is based on a new design unlike most of the other BD players this year, which use chipsets from 2007 that have had much more debug time. I am impressed with Pioneer's responsiveness in this category. I believe with a few more firmware updates this player will be fully up to speed. Its BD-J implementation just isn't quite complete yet IMO.

Profiles
The 51FD is a Profile 1.1/BonusView machine. This means it can display PiP and some of the other HD extras. However it does not support BD-Live/2.0. While I at first wanted a BD-Live player, after reading the downsides of BD-Live (privacy invasion + increased DRM) I decided 1.1 would be fine.

I can understand some wanting a 2.0 player to have "the final spec," but I don't believe 2.0 will be the final spec. Full color 3-D video still needs to be added and the BDA actually commented a couple of weeks ago that they are still trying to determine whether the 3-D decoding should occur in the player or display; you might need a new player profile and/or a new HDMI revision for this to occur. Thus, you really aren't safe with a 2.0 player as full color 3-D video is not part of the spec. BD-Live extras thus far have been underwhelming and take ages to download, which kinda defeats their purpose in the first place.

Overall
The 51FD is a fantastic player overall. It is not as fast to load discs as PS3, Panasonic BD30/BD50, or Sony 350/550, but it mops the floor with them when comparing video quality. Thus, I highly recommend this player so long as you can wait an extra 20-30 seconds for discs to load. If you cannot wait this time, one of the above players might be better for you - but you will lose video quality in the process.

In conclusion, it appears Pioneer has unleashed a beast of hardware here. As with all Blu-ray players based on new designs, the software still needs to go through some more firmware updates before everything falls into place.

If you are one that wants top shelf a/v quality, you need to take the BDP-51FD for a spin. There is no doubt it will be at the top of the pack in video quality. Highly recommended for home theater enthusiasts.

Also, Pioneer makes a model for $200 more (BDP-05FD) that is identical in A/V performance except it has a higher quality analog component video jack, which is bypassed if you use HDMI... So I don't think that upgrade is worth it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for this - our own review will be online shortly, as we've just taken delivery of a Pioneer '51, which will also feature in our massive Blu-ray shootout in February's issue: every player currently available in UK we can get our hands on, all comparatively tested. Yep, we're gonna be busy right up 'til Christmas....

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Phew thats ok, was not sure if i might be stepping on your toes, but thought it might help viewers of these forums, it seems the LX-71 is very hard to come buy, plus if you are getting much the same in PQ terms the saving is very tempting.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, as mentioned above, we plan to run the review online first.

But, of course, there's now more to compare the '51 and '71 to - new mid-price players from Denon, NAD etc - all of which will feature in our testing. There is a world outside Pioneer!

A

Anonymous

I bought my Pioneer Elite BDP-51FD on holiday in America in the summer and ever since I thought I had the LX-71 just with a different number because it was American ( i'd also read this online somewhere). So is this not the case then? Do I just have a £390odd player that's just about to be released over here?

I payed $500 (just under £300) for it so I guess it's still a good deal, and its a great machine, but I thought I'd bought the 5 star £700 LX-71.Slightly annoyed if thats the case-thought I'd got the 2nd best player on the marketl!

http://www.ciao.com/Pioneer_Elite_BDP_51FD__Review_10090519

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Suspect you have the US version of the £400 Pioneer BDP-51FD we've just reviewed here. It's a great player, so I wouldn't worry, you've still got a fantastic five-star model.

A

Anonymous

hi pioneerblu i am planning to buy pioneer bdp 51 from us but was wondering if 110volt equipment will work in uk

ÿ

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
rajdeep:
hi pioneerblu i am planning to buy pioneer bdp 51 from us but was wondering if 110volt equipment will work in uk

Be aware that a US spec player won't necessarily play all UK Blu-ray discs. Some (though not all) Blu-ray discs are region-coded like DVDs, and so-called 'multiregion' BD players are multiregion for DVD only, not Blu-ray playback.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info andy .also would using a converter affect the audio/video quality of the player .there is frequency difference in the power output in the two countries

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:rajdeep:

Be aware that a US spec player won't necessarily play all UK Blu-ray discs. Some (though not all) Blu-ray discs are region-coded like DVDs, and so-called 'multiregion' BD players are multiregion for DVD only, not Blu-ray playback.

Is the PS3 a "multiregion" Player? DVD only or Blu-ray also?

A

Anonymous

Quote from the review "With similar features come similar gripes, such as the lack of BD-Live functionality, an Ethernet port and the inability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio internally, straight out of the box.

Pioneer has assured us that the update will be available in February or March next year, but it's still an inconvenience to owners who need the player to decode onboard."

Any update on this "issue"? I assume that the update was referring to "the inability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio internally, straight out of the box and not the lack of BD-Live", right? What's the implication of this drawback?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
seakingadvice:
Is the PS3 a "multiregion" Player? DVD only or Blu-ray also?

Neither - but not all BD titles are region-coded.

Thanks Andrew. So the PS3 is stuck to playing whatever region it is sold in then for both DVDs and Blu-rays. :-(

I assume that if it's not stated on the cover, it means that the disc is not region coded? Why are some coded but not others?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This is the best place I've found for seeing which titles are region free or not as they test them all before advertising them as such - not had any issues with any of my purchases from there so far.

As to why some are and some aren't, it's down to the the studio releasing them e.g. Warner and Paramount have tended to release region free titles whereas Sony and 20th Century Fox tend to region code their releases - there's no rule on this though i.e. some Warner releases have been coded and some Sony ones haven't! What influences their decision is anyone's guess!

A

Anonymous

rajdeep:thanks for the info andy .also would using a converter affect the audio/video quality of the player .there is frequency difference in the power output in the two countries

ÿcan somebody please answer my question

ÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Using a power converter should have no effect, after all they are the same machine just with different transformers.

I used an American Pioneer DVD player for 6 years with no problems!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rajdeep:rajdeep:thanks for the info andy .also would using a converter affect the audio/video quality of the player .there is frequency difference in the power output in the two countries
can somebody please answer my question

Past experience that power converters can have unpredictable effects on the audio and video quality of many components. I'd go for a 'local' one over one with a converter every time.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
This is the best place I've found for seeing which titles are region free or not as they test them all before advertising them as such - not had any issues with any of my purchases from there so far.

As to why some are and some aren't, it's down to the the studio releasing them e.g. Warner and Paramount have tended to release region free titles whereas Sony and 20th Century Fox tend to region code their releases - there's no rule on this though i.e. some Warner releases have been coded and some Sony ones haven't! What influences their decision is anyone's guess!

Thanks prof! I almost didn't recognise you with the new avatar. :)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I can also vouch for Movietyme as have been using them for years
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts