Find the weak link in my system-Mezzo 6, Cayin a-55t and Dacmagic.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm glad that you managed to make contact. Martin is very straight and won't try and sell you something that isn't suitable (at least that's my experience).

It's very difficult to buy without hearing them first, especially at that price. All I can say is that when I heard a pair, I couldn't believe that such an amazing sound was coming from such inauspicious looking speakers.

Anyway, it's one to keep on the back burner.

I think its totally worth waiting for, I am aware that if I was to better my Mezzos by a considerable margin then I would need to spend a significant amount more as it stands to reason. I listened to some Chario floorstanders the other day which cost nearly the same and it was like someone was scratching my eyeballs off. So I guess the Mezzos are very mature for their price.

Besides if I keep on saving now it means I have enough time to hear them. Thanks for all your help friends :) I know what to get now.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Rethep said:
@CnoEvil: How about the ambiance/space these Audio Notes give you ? I heard they are not really good at this but in all other things, yes. Also i cannot imagine them not booming, placed in the corners of a room. Anyway the price is very generous.

@Shafesk: You could consider the cheaper AN-J.

My Epos (not known for matching with valves, suits me very well (for 21 years)! An Epic-2 or 5 could be your thing, or maybe the new Kef R-series.
I would consider them but after hearing what Martin had to say, I think if he believes that my amp is worth more expensive speakers then I should get them instead of getting the AN-J as a comrpomise, I've seen others compromise on their setup because they got too impatient and ended up buying the wrong thing....me, I can wait! Also not a KEF person and I think the EPOS wouldn't be right for the volume levels I want

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
@CnoEvil: How about the ambiance/space these Audio Notes give you ? I heard they are not really good at this but in all other things, yes. Also i cannot imagine them not booming, placed in the corners of a room. Anyway the price is very generous.

The system I heard was the one in my link (post 2/page 2) at the Belfast Audio Show. Despite not being anywhere near the most expensive system there, it was my favorite sound. It is not for people who like a lean, clean analytical sound and it's probably true to say that I've heard more laser etched imaging.

What this system did was just "play music", all music, with such realism and natural ease, that it was a spellbinding experience. The emotion of the musicians was conveyed beautifully.....and that for me, is what it's all about.

Amazing as it may seem, there was almost no bass boom.....which is how they've been designed to work. Audio Note seems to work just plonked down, with no fancy isolation platforms or room treatment, that was prevalent in many other rooms (that didn't sound so good).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:
Also not a KEF person and I think the EPOS wouldn't be right for the volume levels I want

If you are basing your opinion on either the IQ or XQ range, you should not write off the R Series, which are very different. They would (imo) be a superb match with a tube amp powerful enough to drive them.....the treble is now much more refined, with the new Blade tech filtering down to tweeter.

Saying all that, I personally would have difficulty looking past the AN speakers with your amp.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Rethep said:

The system I heard was the one in my link (post 2/page 2) at the Belfast Audio Show. Despite not being anywhere near the most expensive system there, it was my favorite sound. It is not for people who like a lean, clean analytical sound and it's probably true to say that I've heard more laser etched imaging.

What this system did was just "play music", all music, with such realism and natural ease, that it was a spellbinding experience. The emotion of the musicians was conveyed beautifully.....and that for me, is what it's all about.

Amazing as it may seem, there was almost no bass boom.....which is how they've been designed to work. Audio Note seems to work just plonked down, with no fancy isolation platforms or room treatment, that was prevalent in many other rooms (that didn't sound so good).

The comment you gave, i have heard before. I should give them a listen somehow. But their price will be very high here (Holland).

Some honesty as they present is also known of my Epos-speaker, which has less efficiency and - deep bass of course. It could be an upgrade for me, but i'm also interested in the new Kef's (cheaper). However i think i could do without the deepest bass, because of neighbours and housemates!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
Some honesty as they present is also known of my Epos-speaker, which has less efficiency and - deep bass of course. It could be an upgrade for me, but i'm also interested in the new Kef's (cheaper). However i think i could do without the deepest bass, because of neighbours and housemates!

I think the R Series, with it's clean, sweet, detailed and robust sound, would be a great mix with a Valve amp capable of driving them.

Edit. Sorry, meant to post this on your thread asking about this.....but brain frazzled due to the implementation of a new computer control system at work!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts