Finaly; i have bought the Kef R500

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have bought the KEF R500 and the speakers arrived last wednesday. What a fantastic sound. Never harsh or bright and fantastic balanced. Even my bad metal records sounds very nice on these fantastic speakers.

What is normally the best amp for these speakers?

iceman16

peterpan said:
I have bought the KEF R500 and the speakers arrived last wednesday. What a fantastic sound. Never harsh or bright and fantastic balanced. Even my bad metal records sounds very nice on these fantastic speakers.

Which amp(s) have you auditioned them with?

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:

Interesting Peter. I'm looking forward to test these speakers for my Devialet 200 since they are SAMable. I'm specially interesting in their bass power. As I listen to pop/rock/metal from the 80's I like strong bass in my room. Would you recommend those speakers for that brand of music, and my strong bass likings?. Did they gave enough bass for you?

Many thanks friend.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Krorghar said:
I'm looking forward to test these speakers for my Devialet 200 since they are SAMable.

Hi Krorghar, the R500s may get a SAM-treatment in the future, but they are not there yet. A quick look on the "Vote for SAM" page: 22 votes, ergo 78 to go before they're eligible... The SAMmed KEFs so far are the LS50, R300 and Blade...

Don't want to rain on your parade...*pardon*

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Krorghar said:
I'm looking forward to test these speakers for my Devialet 200 since they are SAMable.

Hi Krorghar, the R500s may get a SAM-treatment in the future, but they are not there yet. A quick look on the "Vote for SAM" page: 22 votes, ergo 78 to go before they're eligible... The SAMmed KEFs so far are the LS50, R300 and Blade...

We hepled some one in the past in that matter, didn't we...?*wink*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
DocG said:
Krorghar said:

I guess we could do that again, but my 5 votes were spent on the ML Montis...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
DocG said:
Krorghar said:

I guess we could do that again, but my 5 votes were spent on the ML Montis...

Mine too...*preved*

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I'am Dutch. Whaty is meant with SAMable?

Amps:

REga Elicit R

Lyngdorf tdai 2170

Exposure 3010S2

Arcam

Denon pma 1520

Unison primo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
I'am Dutch. Whaty is meant with SAMable?

Amps:

REga Elicit R

Lyngdorf tdai 2170

Exposure 3010S2

Arcam

Denon pma 1520

Unison primo

Try to listen to all of them, but my vote would probably go to the Rega and the Lyngdorf (especially as has room correction).

If you like a warmer sound, look to the UR Primo.....but I think the R Series like clean sounding amps.

PS. SAM - http://en.devialet.com/technology/devialet-sam-en

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the slang language, Peter.

SAM stands for Speaker Active Matching, a DSP protocol, developed by Devialet, to adapt the frequency response, phase angle and timing of the signal below 150 Hz, as to correct for (part of the) distortion the speaker introduces. Somewhat along the lines of what Lyngdorf do with their RoomPerfect (but not quite). One major difference, when compared to RoomPerfect, is that SAM needs a specific DSP-setting per speaker. Devialet has a 'vote for SAM' page, where one can vote for a speaker one wants SAM to be applied to. We helped Matt49 to get the necessary 100 votes for his Martin Logan Montis speakers (which in the end appeared not to be suitable for SAM, but that's another story). That's what Hifi Outlaw was referring to...

But in short: nothing to do with your KEF R500s (yet)... So thinking about it: we kinda hijacked your thread here. Sorry for that!

By the way, I for one wouldn't mind if you wrote a review on your TDAI2170 (if and when you find the time for that)!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Krorghar said:
peterpan said:

Interesting Peter. I'm looking forward to test these speakers for my Devialet 200 since they are SAMable. I'm specially interesting in their bass power. As I listen to pop/rock/metal from the 80's I like strong bass in my room. Would you recommend those speakers for that brand of music, and my strong bass likings?. Did they gave enough bass for you?

Many thanks friend.

I thought you had settled on B.A. speakers....but I'm glad you are going to try the R500s, which I would expect to be a step up.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Krorghar said:

Many thanks friend.

Quite a coincidence. I heard these yesterday and was quite impressed. They are probably at the top of my shortlist. They have (imo) a warm sound with good bass, something I'm drawn to. By contrast I'm also considering the M/A GX100's which have a much brighter sound, but don't lack any weight.

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Holy &%$* Guys ... you are right (as ussual) KEF still not in the SAM world *dash1* must have mistaken em with the LS50 *blush*

Anyway, my speaker crusade it has only beginning. Yesterday my brother brought home the (now vintage) pair of Celestion Ditton 33 that I was used to listen from my Childhood, and my schemes are broken again. What I need is a modern replacement for these. I will open a new thread so I dont Steal this one from the OP.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
See what Covenanter says about Marantz amps for his Kef R700.

I can't find the article because the search facility does not seem to work for Forum items anymore.

Perhaps you could send him a private email.

Kind regards, Long J

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
By a dealer i can now buy a Exposure 3010S2 for 1595,-- Euro. I listen mostly to metal and rock. Other hand; the Lyngdorf cost 2590,-- Euro.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
By a dealer i can now buy a Exposure 3010S2 for 1595,-- Euro. I listen mostly to metal and rock. Other hand; the Lyngdorf cost 2590,-- Euro.

The obvious next step would be to home-demo these two amps with your Kefs. Is that feasible?

I once heard the Lyngdorf at a dealer's, driving a pair of Avantgarde Duo Grosso horns. I can't tell what was the contribution of both items, but the result was nothing short of stunning.

IMO the Lyngdorf buys you a lot of extra functionality and sound quality for the extra €1000. It virtually takes the room out of the hifi equation...

NOTE TO WHF: the new site is really cr*p when working on an iPad. Drives me nuts! One would stop contributing if it didn't get better soon... *aggressive*

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't work out how to paste a link here but I had a thread called "An audition" which talks about this. (If I try the link icon the window it opens can't be closed!)

Anyway I found that the Marantz PM8005 was excellent with these speakers. Some posters have questioned whether it is powerful enough to drive them but all I can say is that it has proved to be more than adequate (indeed as you can see from my sig I use it with the rather larger R700s and it works perfectly in a lerge room). I think this is a pairing with great synergy and I strongly recommend that you hear them together.

Chris

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I can't work out how to paste a link here but I had a thread called "An audition" which talks about this. (If I try the link icon the window it opens can't be closed!)

Anyway I found that the Marantz PM8005 was excellent with these speakers. Some posters have questioned whether it is powerful enough to drive them but all I can say is that it has proved to be more than adequate (indeed as you can see from my sig I use it with the rather larger R700s and it works perfectly in a lerge room). I think this is a pairing with great synergy and I strongly recommend that you hear them together.

Chris

pm8005 is pretty much the same thing as pearl lite? sorry if I'm getting off topic

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
sa2013 said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

pm8005 is pretty much the same thing as pearl lite? sorry if I'm getting off topic

It has filled the gap in their range just about where the Pearl Lite used to be (they don't make that any more I believe). However they say it is new technology derived from their Premium range.

Chris

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
NOTE TO WHF: the new site is really cr*p when working on an iPad. Drives me nuts! One would stop contributing if it didn't get better soon... *aggressive*

Same HERE!!!!!!! You write and it doen't apear on the screen, you've to take the key of the screen two/three time to be abble to write again, and this will go on and on for a post of three/four lines

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts