Finally!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
I love having my mate Droid on call
smiley-smile.gif

I don't have any scales, mate, no. I've sorted the problem I was having with not getting the right tracking force: The Allen bolt in the tecnoweight wasn't open properly which was stopping it sliding all the way. I can get plenty of tracking now.

So, the tecnoweight's scale is a bit poo? does it under or over value, mate. The recommended tracking according to the Denon blurb is 2.3 - 2.8. I've taken it up to 2.8, but the distortion is still there, just on the last couple of minutes of a side (thought i'd fixed it, but no).

Do you reckon I should just keep going .1 at a time till I notice an improvement?

I gotta admit, i'm not loving the IGD, and i'm considering putting the Shure from the RPM4 on it, and maybe looking at another MC cart.

EDIT: I tried the smaller weight, but it couldn't float the arm.

Also, while i'm bending your ear, have a look at my arm. It's a little arse-high to my eyes. Do you think it's ok?(and please say yes
smiley-smile.gif
)

l.jpg

Track it at 2.6 bretts. I bought one out of curiosity a good while ago and found this a good setting and a**e high worked better, which to my eyes yours is. However i think its a pile of pants and flogged mine sharpish. But others like it so who am i to cast nasturtiums. However there is no such thing as a bargain in this world,lol. I cant remember in all honesty which way it was out mate, i just compared it to my scales at the time. Buy some digitals but not the cheap cack cos they dont work with coils. You onny have to buy em once and you are sorted. Stick the Shure on and mess around with the anti skate. I read your first impressions and to be honest the gyro should bladder the project in all depts,if set up correctly.

Oh while im on i remembered the bay seller. Pl****c On***e. Fill in your own letters just incase im flounting housey rules.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
bretty said:
I love having my mate Droid on call
smiley-smile.gif

I don't have any scales, mate, no. I've sorted the problem I was having with not getting the right tracking force: The Allen bolt in the tecnoweight wasn't open properly which was stopping it sliding all the way. I can get plenty of tracking now.

So, the tecnoweight's scale is a bit poo? does it under or over value, mate. The recommended tracking according to the Denon blurb is 2.3 - 2.8. I've taken it up to 2.8, but the distortion is still there, just on the last couple of minutes of a side (thought i'd fixed it, but no).

Do you reckon I should just keep going .1 at a time till I notice an improvement?

I gotta admit, i'm not loving the IGD, and i'm considering putting the Shure from the RPM4 on it, and maybe looking at another MC cart.

EDIT: I tried the smaller weight, but it couldn't float the arm.

Also, while i'm bending your ear, have a look at my arm. It's a little arse-high to my eyes. Do you think it's ok?(and please say yes
smiley-smile.gif
)

l.jpg

Track it at 2.6 bretts. I bought one out of curiosity a good while ago and found this a good setting and a**e high worked better, which to my eyes yours is. However i think its a pile of pants and flogged mine sharpish. But others like it so who am i to cast nasturtiums. However there is no such thing as a bargain in this world,lol. I cant remember in all honesty which way it was out mate, i just compared it to my scales at the time. Buy some digitals but not the cheap cack cos they dont work with coils. You onny have to buy em once and you are sorted. Stick the Shure on and mess around with the anti skate. I read your first impressions and to be honest the gyro should bladder the project in all depts,if set up correctly.

Oh while im on i remembered the bay seller. Pl****c On***e. Fill in your own letters just incase im flounting housey rules.

You just cracked me up! I'm not stephen Hawking, I need more letters than that
smiley-smile.gif
. If you really liked me, you'd give me a link
smiley-smile.gif

Ok, here's an update: I got tired of faffing around with the Denon and not getting anywhere. So, I've put the Shure on. Firstly, as a happy coincidence, the Shure is a deeper cart than the Denon and it's levelled the arm out nicely.

Secondly, bye bye Denon, thanks for coming now sling yer 'ook!

Now, this is more like it, the Shure sounded tops on my old TT, and on the Gyro it's like it's been jabbed with steroids. The bass is thunderous, for starters. I played a few tracks off Tina Turner's 'Greatest Hits' with the Denon, just before I removed it, and it just didn't sound right. Even before the IGD kicked in it sounded light and cymbals were tizzy. Playing it again now, with the Shure in place, sounds superb.

Maybe the Denon was faulty. It aint going back on the Gyro, I know that!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Nah the Denon is just plain pants Bretts. Plastics online via ebay. Trawl and you will find their bespoke TT cover section.

I could go into detail on why the Denon aint performing and what to do but.....

A. You will deffo need to be Steven Hawking.

B. I really cant be fagged with 10 pages of typing.

Spend Brettys moolah time.

If you want a cart that will suit your set up very nicely indeed,without spending a kings ransome. Benz Micro Ace. Sings like a canary with the teccy/gyro combo ( cant speak for your phono mind and that comes into the equation more than you would imagine). This cart is good, like all Benzs to be honest, right across the board. It dosnt major in any dept,think filling extracting treble for instance, it just gets on with the job of digging music outa yer grooves and putting it across superbly, for the money its a good buy.

Or......................Nah best not eh !.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Nah the Denon is just plain pants Bretts. Plastics online via ebay. Trawl and you will find their bespoke TT cover section.

I could go into detail on why the Denon aint performing and what to do but.....

A. You will deffo need to be Steven Hawking.

B. I really cant be fagged with 10 pages of typing.

Spend Brettys moolah time.

If you want a cart that will suit your set up very nicely indeed,without spending a kings ransome. Benz Micro Ace. Sings like a canary with the teccy/gyro combo ( cant speak for your phono mind and that comes into the equation more than you would imagine). This cart is good, like all Benzs to be honest, right across the board. It dosnt major in any dept,think filling extracting treble for instance, it just gets on with the job of digging music outa yer grooves and putting it across superbly, for the money its a good buy.

Or......................Nah best not eh !.

I came close to getting the Benz before getting the Denon. If I remember rightly, it goes for around the £250 mark, which is fine. I'll give Ian a call and see what he can do.

I've ruined my Alicia Keys album with the Denon. I was using the last track on one of the discs, last night, when I was trying to sort the IGD. Dammit. Lucky I didn't play more records last night tho, I spose.

Anyhoo, on a positive note: The Shure has saved the day. All traces of IGD have gone. Just played Lisa Hannigan's album and it was more goose-bump inducing than normal. Even the last tracks
smiley-smile.gif

Now I'm proper happy and can get on with enjoying the Gyro.

Oh, BTW FD, what other cart( s ) were you going to recommend? What's your fave up to, say £500?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Interesting but I had no problem with the Denon and technoarm that I remember but, hey, maybe it's me. You must get a set of scales Bretts, if you want to borrow mine you can but it's a must buy (shame onyou ;)) very few arms can be trusted here (SME aside maybe) with their own tracking indicators.

Opinions will always be divided on the little Denon so I won't add to it but there are other Denon's probably more worthy

EDIT- Oh, beer or wine will do - just keep me away from the spirits :party:

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Interesting but I had no problem with the Denon and technoarm that I remember but, hey, maybe it's me. You must get a set of scales Bretts, if you want to borrow mine you can but it's a must buy (shame onyou ;)) very few arms can be trusted here (SME aside maybe) with their own tracking indicators.

Opinions will always be divided on the little Denon so I won't add to it but there are other Denon's probably more worthy :)

I think the cart was a dud, Mitch. The amount of distortion coming off it couldn't have been right and the lack of bass couldn't have been either.

I'll get looking for scales now.
smiley-embarassed.gif

What beer do you like mate?

EDIT: How bout these scales?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Cripes, if you can get the Ace for that price order me ten and i will flog em on. At the min im using a Benz Wood SL. I will leave it up to yourself to find out the price
smiley-innocent.gif
. As for those scales you need to go upmarket a fair bit and get some designed specifically for the job mate. Best Denon out there is the 304 but you need good isolation if you have a bouncy floor as it tracks at insane grammage. 1-1.4 gms !!. I had one once upon a time,and bounced it ,lol. But a cracking cart for the money. OK 500 quid eh. You wont go a mile wrong with an AT PTG 33 mk II. I have a mark 1 knocking around, excellent cart and not as fiesty as the OC9. But by now you know how much a Benz Ace is so get one of those.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Cripes, if you can get the Ace for that price order me ten and i will flog em on. At the min im using a Benz Wood SL. I will leave it up to yourself to find out the price
smiley-innocent.gif
. As for those scales you need to go upmarket a fair bit and get some designed specifically for the job mate. Best Denon out there is the 304 but you need good isolation if you have a bouncy floor as it tracks at insane grammage. 1-1.4 gms !!. I had one once upon a time,and bounced it ,lol. But a cracking cart for the money. OK 500 quid eh. You wont go a mile wrong with an AT PTG 33 mk II. I have a mark 1 knocking around, excellent cart and not as fiesty as the OC9. But by now you know how much a Benz Ace is so get one of those.

Nope, you're right: I was confusing the ace with the gold. Ace is around £570. Your cart costs a grand doesn't it? Nice
smiley-smile.gif

I'll get the Ace, But in a few months. I gotta get two grand together first for the drums. 2011's turning out to be an expensive year!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
mitch65 said:

Opinions will always be divided on the little Denon so I won't add to it but there are other Denon's probably more worthy :)

I think the cart was a dud, Mitch. The amount of distortion coming off it couldn't have been right and the lack of bass couldn't have been either.

I'll get looking for scales now.
smiley-embarassed.gif

What beer do you like mate?

EDIT: How bout these scales?

Not fussed on the beer mate, I'm easy (duff will do)

If you're not going to spend much don't get digital scales as the cheap ones are just recycled jewellers scales and not really up to the job. You would be better off with the likes of Ortofons gauge at a tenner or so or Shures for about 15 quid. If you intend to spend the price of the Denon say then get digital ones designed for the job.

I agree, sounds like your Denon has shot it's load! It most certainly should not sound distorted, harsh, whatever, more laid back and quiet

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I will lob this banger on the barbie Bretts. Lyra Dorian, a bit system dependent though as in the wrong set up it can be a tad toppy. But at its price point it digs loads of detail out of the grooves and kicks butt to boot. Would advise against if your set up is on the forward side, especially as the teccy can come over as a smidge bright. Yup ive got one of those anaw so i aint talking from reviews here btw. Works really well with my set up but i glow in the dark and ive not heard one in a tranny set up, but if yours isnt a paint stripper it could work well.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
FD: Thanks mate, hadn't heard of that cart. Sounds viable. My systems pretty evenly balanced, definitely not bright.

Mitch: Is there a chance you could bring your scales when you come, just to check the Shure?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
why does the arm not mate up with the arm board, i had the same deck with an rb 300, there should be no problem it's an easy deck to set up and i believe the michell arm has the same thread as the rega, do you have the arm board the right way, i only ask because if it's not right it will be out of wack, unless the michell arm has a different thread this is a bit of a puzzle, i can have a look for you depending on your location but this is strange, even with a different cartridge the arm should be ok even with 200gm records.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
gregory said:
why does the arm not mate up with the arm board, i had the same deck with an rb 300, there should be no problem it's an easy deck to set up and i believe the michell arm has the same thread as the rega, do you have the arm board the right way, i only ask because if it's not right it will be out of wack, unless the michell arm has a different thread this is a bit of a puzzle, i can have a look for you depending on your location but this is strange, even with a different cartridge the arm should be ok even with 200gm records.
Hi Gregory,

It's because the armboard I have is the old Rega one, which has no step cut into it to accomodate the VTA. So, the top part of the VTA nicks about 10mm of the arm's thread, meaning there's not enough poking out of the bottom of the armboard to fix the locking nut.Thanks for the offer of help, mate. Appreciate it
smiley-smile.gif
. I do still have the problem with the arm not getting much clearance when lifted with the lever. It's only lifting maybe 2mm of the record, which just clears a normal record, but still just touches a heavyweight vinyl. Is there a way of adjusting how much lift the lever gives the arm?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65 said:
It all sounds very strange.....Bretts I'm down Hastings this afternoon to pick up a battery if you want a fresh pair of eyes

Cheers Mitch, but i'm just heading out for some Saturday beerage
smiley-smile.gif

Still on for next week though?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
It's only lifting maybe 2mm of the record, which just clears a normal record, but still just touches a heavyweight vinyl. Is there a way of adjusting how much lift the lever gives the arm?

Yikes be carefull Bretts otherwise t*****d cart will come into the equation. 'any way of raising the arm lift'.

Yip buy a SME series IV/V. You know you want to
smiley-wink.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
True Mitch, True
smiley-smile.gif

Although there's glorious sunshine in Hastings today, and I should have been enjoying my beers whilst sat outside the pub, I wasn't 'cos the Gyro's problem was getting on my nerves. So, I came home and wasn't going out again til I blummin' fixed it. I can't be beaten by a TT!

Long story short: I fixed it and it was super easy. There's a little hex bolt under the lift platform (really little: 1.27mm). Loosened it, lifted the platform 5mm, re-tightened and bobs your mother's brother.

Right, where's the beers?
smiley-smile.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The TecnoArm hasn't arrived has it? WOO HOO!!!!

Wednesday's cool mate.

Mods: can you pass along my email address to Mitch, Please?

If they are nice enough to pass it along, chuck us a mail with your number, mate ok?

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Bretty, I too had a problem with the arm lift height upon setting up my Gyrodec & TechnoArm A and Goldring 2300 cart. I emailed Mitchells and they said:

"You need to lift the arc that forms the arm lift platform on the spindle it is attached to. At the front you will see a small allen screw, you require a 1.27mm allen key. Loosen the screw, lift the arc assembly on the spindle to give you the required clearance, and re tighten the screw."

I got a set of small allen keys from Maplins which included a 1.3mm key which fitted ok. You only need to alter the height a very very small amount as the length of the arm magnifys the rise by a huge factor.

I found that having the VTA adjustment sleeve fitted does make it dead easy to make adjustments as I too started off inadvertantly with a tail high set up
smiley-embarassed.gif
; and lowering the arm bit by bit was so simple and quick and it sounded better too. If you like to tinker now and again then I recommend you get the right arm board so you can fit the VTA sleeve.

Whoops, already sorted well done,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts