Finally!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Joe10155 said:
Bretty, I too had a problem with the arm lift height upon setting up my Gyrodec & TechnoArm A and Goldring 2300 cart. I emailed Mitchells and they said:

"You need to lift the arc that forms the arm lift platform on the spindle it is attached to. At the front you will see a small allen screw, you require a 1.27mm allen key. Loosen the screw, lift the arc assembly on the spindle to give you the required clearance, and re tighten the screw."

I got a set of small allen keys from Maplins which included a 1.3mm key which fitted ok. You only need to alter the height a very very small amount as the length of the arm magnifys the rise by a huge factor.

I found that having the VTA adjustment sleeve fitted does make it dead easy to make adjustments as I too started off inadvertantly with a tail high set up
smiley-embarassed.gif
; and lowering the arm bit by bit was so simple and quick and it sounded better too. If you like to tinker now and again then I recommend you get the right arm board so you can fit the VTA sleeve.

Whoops, already sorted well done,

Yeah, but thanks anyway!

I will get the right armboard at some point in the future, probably when I change cart.

Talking of carts i'm actually thinking that I might stay with MM, for the convenience of being able to change the stylus rather than the whole cart when the need arises. I've also been hearing that, unless you spend mega money, MC's sound a bit harsh. There's a couple of MM that i'm thinking of and they are in pretty different price brackets:

1: Goldring 1042. The user comments i've been reading sound really encouraging. Good detail and a full sound.

2: Ortofon 2M Black. I read a great in-depth review of this cart (actually it was an A/B review of both the Black and the Bronze) and it has piqued my interest. I don't like the sound of the Red and Blue (and the Bronze, too, to a lesser degree), with their lean nature but the Black is supposed to be a completely different beast with a smooth, organic sound to go along with oodles of detail.

I'd love any and all comments on these two carts.

A

Anonymous

You mentioned getting a cover for your deck - in the States atleast you can get covers made by Ginko from various online outlets. http://www.gingkoaudio.com/claravumichell.html $299 here, same in Euros I think from the Continent (possibly still silly money)?

I'm looking to get a non-Spider Bronze Gyro Deck myself. I remember seeing my first one 22 years ago. I should really get around to it!

Neon.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Neon K said:
You mentioned getting a cover for your deck - in the States atleast you can get covers made by Ginko from various online outlets. http://www.gingkoaudio.com/claravumichell.html $299 here, same in Euros I think from the Continent (possibly still silly money)?

I'm looking to get a non-Spider Bronze Gyro Deck myself. I remember seeing my first one 22 years ago. I should really get around to it!

Neon.

thanks, neon, but Floydus Droidus has put me onto plastics online that do bespoke covers for around £60. Appreciate the thought, tho!

I reckon after 22 years, you've been patient enough. Time to treat yourself
smiley-smile.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
smiley-smile.gif
Fingers crossed for you then, fella!

Ok, it's time for an embarrassed smiley face time. Here it comes:
smiley-embarassed.gif
. I'd been making a real schoolboy error with the set up of the Gyro, which is why the sound wasn't quite right (and may well have been why the Denon was sounding so awful). I was so focused on getting the cart aligned that I paid no attention to the headshell. I know: eejit. Have another smiley:
smiley-embarassed.gif

It occurred to me yesterday afternoon (i should get p*ssed more often, I seem to get stuff done), and I aligned the headshell and now, FINALLY, after thinking i'd got it right so many times, it's actually spot on.

That's why I had such a listening session yesterday: the Gyro sounded cushty. Honestly, I was a little dubious that a deck would have much bearing on the sound: I primarily bought the Gyro for it's looks. I thought it was all down to the cart. But, I really was wrong, wasn't I? Because I'm using the same cart that was on my old TT, I been able do a direct comparison.

Firstly, I've never heard bass like it. It's definitely strong, but that's not what really got me smiling. It has so much texture that it sounds completely natural. Also, it is so clearly defined that you can really hear every note in every bass line. You know how the bass gets lost in the mix in a lot of songs, where you're not sure what's bass and what's guitar? Not on the Gyro. Listening to Alice in Chains - 'Jar of Flies / Sap', an album that i've had for 18 years, on tape, CD and now vinyl, I could hear everything including little bass licks that i'd never heard before. I'd never heard the bass sound so strong before, either. Not bloated, though, it was tight as a drum.

Vocals are brilliant. I always like how the Shure did them, on the RPM4, and on the Gyro its even better. Not a hint of sibilance, and really life-like.

Strings are great too. The Gyro picks so much detail of the bow being across the strings.

There's more I could say, but I don't want to write an essay here! Bottom line is that the Gyro has improved everything across the board
smiley-smile.gif

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Good one enjoy, i loved the Gyro when i had it and the replies earlier for the adjustment for the arm lever should clear the record, it's not hard to do, but it just goes to show how important set up is especially the cartridge, it is a lovely deck to look at but more importantly to listen to also, i hope you have many years of happy listening, it's also nice to see how many other members were interested and were willing to offer help, good on all of you.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey Bretts. Take out a subscription to hfn. They a re chucking away a set of Roksan digi scales.

Dont be snarled in by the roksan bit. Its a generic design that a fair few companies lob there name on. Good scales mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts