finally heard the RX1 and the RX2

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
and I was disapointed...the RX1, same character as the RS1 but to much muffled treble in comparison.doesnt sound bad, but still lacks some mids like the RS1 did.The RX2 ...couldn't hear almost any bass, the RX1 seemed to have more, only thing I noticed on the RX2 was the mids overpowering the highs and the bass...dissapointment with both:(

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you had a case of bad system matching... I heard them as well (with the Yamaha RX-V797 amplifier) and was very impressed with them, especially the RX2s. Though I could agree with you that the RX1 sounded just a tad more muffled compared to the RS1s, they are still very good speakers. The RX2s on the the other hand sounded like the true replacements of the RS1s to me. Their midrange is very similar, but the RX2s just went a bit further with their bass by adding more weight and punch to them. Improvements were also made in their treble by adding more clarity to them. And this without making any part of the frequency range stand out.

After hearing the RX2s, I ordered them, even though my initial budget was a lot less than that
emotion-4.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
nah..heard them with several amps and compared them to several other speakers.jbl northridge series and magnat .you brits rave a lot you products but I think there are much much better foreigner brands

A

Anonymous

ear:nah..heard them with several amps and compared them
to several other speakers.jbl northridge series and magnat .you brits
rave a lot you products but I think there are much much better
foreigner brands

I'm not a Brit. I'm from the Netherlands, and believe me, I heard A LOT of brands in the past few weeks, including JBL and Magnat.

A

Anonymous

ear:ATHfan what will you be pairing them with?

I already own a Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver (which is the same as the DSP-AX763), so gonna try with that first.

A

Anonymous

ear:what did you hear them with on your test?

As I have mentioned before, I heard them with the Yamaha RX-V797 stereo amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ear:and I was disapointed...the RX1, same character as the RS1 but to much muffled treble in comparison.doesnt sound bad, but still lacks some mids like the RS1 did.The RX2 ...couldn't hear almost any bass, the RX1 seemed to have more, only thing I noticed on the RX2 was the mids overpowering the highs and the bass...dissapointment with both:(I agreed with you about the RX1/RS1 comparison (take note those who refuse to acknowledge the RX seires is smoother), but something's not right about your RX2 statement. The RX2 is the first budget standmount speaker for a long time to use an 8" bass driver, and quite a large cabinet - the last I recall is the B&W DM602 S3. It definitely doesn't lack bass - if anything, it has too much.

As to whether Brit speakers or Euro speakers are better - we have different tastes and environments, so no real comparison can be made. We can only compare in our own environments, and is likely to lead the the obvious outcome.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

As to whether Brit speakers or Euro speakers are better - we have different tastes and environments, so no real comparison can be made. We can only compare in our own environments, and is likely to lead the the obvious outcome.

What a joke. I'm not British, but the Brits have been ground breakers in speaker design and many world class designs have and still do come from the UK and everyone knows it...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
That maybe, but different parts of the world have their own sound, and if the locals are used to that sound, the outsider can be as good as you like, but the locals may not like it because it oesn't suit their taste. I'm not trying to say anybody specific makes better speakers than anybody else, just that what is ideal can divide the population, even in the same country.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
That maybe, but different parts of the world have their own sound, and if the locals are used to that sound, the outsider can be as good as you like, but the locals may not like it because it oesn't suit their taste. I'm not trying to say anybody specific makes better speakers than anybody else, just that what is ideal can divide the population, even in the same country.

That's true... since I read reviews from all over the world... I notice that in North America, North American products are often the most raved about (though they do highly praise European gear)... in Europe, the most praised gear is generally local...

Much of that has to do with specific local tastes (and not just prejudice/too much national pride)... For example, Brands like Magnepan and Revel tend to be more highly regarded in North America (not that they don't receive good reviews in Europe) where people tend to have larger apartments/homes to accommodate the size of those speakers... In Europe, small monitors with pinpoint imaging seem to be the rage.... It's about local tastes...

A

Anonymous

Looking for new speakers, I forced myself to listen to a lot of speakers from a lot of speaker brands. I chose the Monitor Audio RX2s because I prefered their sound. I don't even know which country made which brand of speakers. So I think it's pretty silly to judge a speaker from it's home country. Good speakers can come from anywhere...

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:FrankHarveyHiFi:

What a joke. I'm not British, but the Brits have been ground breakers in speaker design and many world class designs have and still do come from the UK and everyone knows it...

think your talking about ten to twenty years ago

he problem is other countries have caught up and are making better speakers such as germany denmark italy and canada in particular

also consider the uk trend tends to be forward lean bass hyperdetailed and often revealing to the point of making them listen to for long periods so if you want something different you have to look outside the uk

A

Anonymous

This maybe true to a certain extend but I believe the differences to be less dramatic between European countries and British manufacturers such as B&W and KEF are as popular here as elsewhere. Furthermore this should apply to music only as for home cinema the objective should be to imitate a movie theater and those I believe are not designed with the local population musical preferences in mind

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
maybe the atc scm11 will be more like american and german speakers.but havent heard them yet. but for the sound of magnat jbl (not the new series)and heco speakers,all these sound much much better than the RX1 or rx2 or dc6-t or aelite 3 ive heard recently.the only british speakers that i seem to like are kefs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts