Finally decided and bought the PMC DBi fronts and center. Running in question?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After numerous demos i have bought the DB1is and center. Connected with Van damme blu series cables and jumpers. Same amp i have had for months Marants SR 70005.

I was wondering how long you think necessary to run in before playing loud? The manual says 15 hours and i have been playing about 35 now. I want to listen to a blu ray at about -15db but was wondering if that is too loud?

A

Anonymous

Phileas said:
Ignore the manual.

Really or is that sarcasm? 15 hours seems nothing but other says running in speakers is a myth?

John Duncan

Phileas said:
Ignore the manual.

Why?

"When loudspeakers are new they will take time to reach their full potential.

It is often debated whether any solid-state equipment, such as CD players or transistor-based power amplifiers change with use, but the characteristics of mechanical devices such as loudspeakers do alter and improve their performance significantly after a short ‘running in’ period.

The science is simple; as the soft material surrounding the dome or woofer cone is flexed it will eventually reach a point where it has optimum compliancy allowing the drive unit to move more freely. This translates to greater accuracy and speed of attack in the bass region and the mid and high frequency produces a far more vivid audio picture. This short ‘running in’ period takes approximately 15 hours of normal use."

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable statement (or undue burden), and since the OP has already done this for 35 hours, you're a bit late...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If we assume that speaker run-in exists, then surely it is related to the cone physically moving? And the amount it moves will surely depend on the volume they are being played at? And the nature of the music being played? So 15 hours doesn't actually mean much, if anything? :quest:

To the op, if your amp isn't clipping/distorting at that volume, then blast away.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Does the manual say the speakers will be damaged if you use them normally straight out of the box?

I suspect most of the suggested run-in period is more to do with you getting used to them than actual change in the drivers.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:
If we assume that speaker run-in exists, then surely it is related to the cone physically moving? And the amount it moves will surely depend on the volume they are being played at? And the nature of the music being played? So 15 hours doesn't actually mean much, if anything? :quest:

To the op, if your amp isn't clipping/distorting at that volume, then blast away.

If it did clip at that volume it would be useless!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts