Fight Club Bluray

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has been fortunate enough to get this on bluray yet and wether or not this is worth upgrading from the 2 dvd set? It's one of my favourite films but i'm not going to buy it unless it improves on the dvd version so any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm still waiting for mine, although my colleague has received his. I've seent the German release, which had a constant grain throughout (which doesn't bother me). It'll be interesting to see if our release is the same or whether it's a better transfer (IF the film wasn't supposed to be grainy).

I'm just looking forward to DTS-MA - the soundtrack played a far more noticable role in the German release than the DVD release, and this was DTS-HD rather than MA. We'll see......

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
My preorder arrived on Saturday and watched it over the weekend. Didn't really notice grain if it was there, would have to check again. The DTS-HD MA track is amazing. Powerful with great delivery of subtle ambiences as well. I think this may be my new demo disc when showing the system off to friends.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The grain on the German release was quite noticable - if you didn't see it on yours, then I don't think it would be to the same level. Mmmmmm.....
emotion-2.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
The grain on the German release was quite noticable - if you didn't see it on yours, then I don't think it would be to the same level. Mmmmmm.....
emotion-2.gif

Granted I do watch on a 720p 32" from a little bit of a distance (my fingers are crossed that I might win the Philips set in the awards giveaway) so take my observations in this regard with a grain of salt. (oo the pun drops so nicely)

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
Woohoo!! Mine's just turned up.....I'll give it a viewing tonight
emotion-2.gif

I had exactly the same reaction on Saturday. What is it about Fight Club that turns grown men into giddy little boys?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've been informed by my colleague that the new release of this Bluray was supervised by David Fincher himself, frame by frame. So maybe the German one was slap dash job, producing the constant grain/noise that can be seen on it - if there's none on the new release, then I can only assume it was filmed carefully, and has now been mastered carefully too....ooooh!! I'm getting all excited now!

D

Deleted member 2457

I just meant for every blu ray, I have seen no grain/picture noise on my picture.

Hope fight club is good for you lot know
emotion-21.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

It was the poor reception of the german bluray that had me concerned about the uk release but i'm pleased to hear it seems a great transfer as afterall it would be a tragedy if this one was screwed up, the most thought provoking and stylish movie of the last decade if you are male in my opinion (i know very few girls who even like the movie atall apart from Brad of course).

I've just been reading that David Fincher was heavily involved in the remastering as has been metioned and that the sound is a complete remastering of the original in order to get the best from the bluray format....i'm very excited now as the dvd was a brilliant transfer in itself and i often used it as a test disc, looks like the bluray will now take it's place as my test disc when it arrives.

Once again many thanks to everyone for your thoughts, it's much appreciated!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:FrankHarveyHiFi:

It's one of the coolest films of the past 10 years? It speaks to us on our level?

It has Helena Bonham Carter in it?I think she fits in quite well. I can't imagine who I would put in her place - the only actress I've been impressed with over the past 10 years has been Cate Blanchett and Ellen Page.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The sound is great, much better than the DVD, as was the German Bluray release. I think they overdid it on the bass a little, and the scene where it cuts to him on the plane for the first time, along with the killer bass note that accompanies it, still made me jump even though I knew it was coming. I think it was because the MA track has more depth and impact.

The video - it's still grainy, with some scenes being grain free, but it's much less grainy than the German release. It's shame it wasn't shot in digital like Zodiac, but I think a bit of grain suits it anyway.

A

Anonymous

Is it the uncut version with the full Jared Leto fight? I've got the original region 1 DVD but I must admit it is one of the few films I'm tempted to buy again.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There is a bit in the extras comparing what was originally shot to the alternate 'hint at it' scene - judging by that, it was uncut. They also tell you how they made the sounds too, which is quite interesting. Walnuts anyone?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks, looks like it might have to be an addition to the Christmas list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts