Few albums, much greatness - which bands??

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'll define "few" as three or less, and "greatness" as, well obviously great to me.

We all know artists with vast back-catalogues, but which do you revere for their slender, yet outstanding output?

For me, my number one contender for this (un)disputed world title is: The Shins.

From Caring Is Creepy on their debut, Oh, Inverted World through to Wincing The Night Away's last track, A Comet Appears, I can't think of a band who are so consistently brilliant. Their economy of style and product is a virtue in itself. And their music is sublime.

Yes, there are a few side-projects to factor in, but let's just stick with the three, to date, formally released Shins albums.

Anyone see my Shins bid and raise me one with . . .

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
Oh, it was a happy time. Was there ever a more genial magpie of a record? The Avalanches also played one of the very best gigs I've seen/heard, particularly considering how many of them were on crutches or had arms in plaster. Rumours of a follow-up still refuse to die.

Big Star - #1 Record (1972), Radio City (1974), Third/Sister Lovers (1978)
They owed a lot to The Beatles, but then again who doesn't? Pretty songs, anguished songs, hippy songs, poppy songs. September Gurls is a Desert Island Disc.

A

Anonymous

+1 for me on most of the above, plus may i eclectically offer:
The Stone Roses?
The KLF?
The Beta Band?
Janis Joplin?
Elastica?
Jeff Buckley?
And it might be stretching it with 5 albums, but the Pixies definitely still have a special place in my heart!

As a special bonus side question, who SHOULD have stopped after their first one or two? ;-)

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Fred K said:
who SHOULD have stopped after their first one or two? ;-)

James Blunt

Alanis Morrisette

Damien Rice

X factor winners (sorry, they did stop after one in the main)

..and back to the OP how about Secret Affair and Purple Hearts?

T

the record spot

As a one-off (so far) Beth Rowley's album Little Dreamer is worth seeking out. Similar, but pre-dating, Rumer. Same points of origin for both though I think.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm too tired to look it up but am I right in thinking Love didn't release that many albums?

Depends on your own idea of greatness but Scott Walker. Is it something like 4 albums in 40 years or so, hardly prolific.

A

Anonymous

Janes Addiction (the original line up of Perry Farrell, Steve Perkins, Eric Avery and Dave Navarro)

Janes Addiction Triple X

Nothing's shocking

Ritual De lo Habitual

Truly epic music created by pioneers of their crafts inspired by genius.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Tom Waits and nick cave bar a few duff albums both have been consistently brillant. Know that you meant people with only a little output but true brillance is prolific output that is of a great quality.

A

Anonymous

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Are You Experienced?

Axis Bold As Love

Electric Ladyland

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Beady Eye - Different Gear -Still Speeding is IMO actually great, blasting it out loud now - best album Oasis didnt make. Its like a megamix of every Who / Beatles / Stones record Ive ever heard!

Which is why they won't get away with it again, one album wonders I predict.

A

Anonymous

blinddumbdeaf said:
Janes Addiction (the original line up of Perry Farrell, Steve Perkins, Eric Avery and Dave Navarro)

Janes Addiction Triple X

Nothing's shocking

Ritual De lo Habitual

Truly epic music created by pioneers of their crafts inspired by genius.

Totally! Saw them live at Leeds about 8 years ago, brought back many teen memories! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts