Ferrites .... Who Uses Them?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I read an article that Ferrites added to any cable that carries signal makes a huge difference

Sales Hype or does it work? They only cost approx £4 each

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site

I use them and too good effect too.

Bought them just out of curiousity. The result is very good around mains cables in my house. Just read up on wiki pages, buy a few and report back what you think.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Unless for some reason you have otherwise-insurmountable issues with hum or interference that manifests itself as hum, it's not going to make any perceptible difference to the sound of your HiFi. None. Zero. Nada. All in your head. Save your money.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you have interference such as that clicking noise you get when your mobile phone is too close to your hifi ferrites will help to stop that from happening.

What they won't do is effect the sound in any other way - i.e. improved sound stage, tighter bass, clearer treble ect.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
I use them, in different sizes, everywhere, even inside cd players and amplifiers and have done so for a long time.

as far as I read, they only go on cables (speaker cables, etc)

I have a few Silver High Breed cables (interconnects and speaker cables). They have them on both ends (I think they are ferrites)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've used them everywhere except the kitchen sink. It makes you feel good about yourself, as if you accomplished and improved something. They are cheap, no soldering involved, completely junior tweaker friendly.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
snips:

Ferrites are clip on items to put onto cables. To really make some difference to any Cable, not just Sales Hype nonsense. Use as many as you like wherever you see fit. Audio, Mains & Video, add those clip on Ferrites to every cable that carries a signal, on the end that the signal has travelled along & picked up RF. You can add ones on both ends though this won't add anything if it's a TV to a Preamp as the signal goes one way only. The biggest difference is putting it on the Speaker cables simply as it loses the 1MHz+ RF hash that the cables pick up & your amp wastes power amplifying. If your amp picks up 999-type calls if the response vehicle is nearby, you badly need ferrites. There are smaller size cased ones, but having tried those, they don't seem as effective. RF is everywhere, your TV cables benefit from them on Scart & HDMI of today uses ferrites to keep the picture edges clean from wishboning of RF artifacts.

-----------------------------------------

We put Ferrites on our short 1m speaker cable as the amps are very near & the huge difference in focus was quite remarkable, in a world where excited words are overused ad nasueum, this was a genuine case of where amazement that such a simple item would make so much difference. It took a few days to get used to how strong & accurate the treble was, as with anything once you're used to it, it fades into normality.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
you need the Multicomp 10MHz-300MHz ones

buy them (they cost just over £3 each) ... and see if they work or make a difference

if they do, I will buy some *biggrin*

TrevC

dim_span said:

buy them (they cost just over £3 each) ... and see if they work or make a difference

Mae a difference to what exactly? What interference are you wanting to reduce?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

I'm not sure thats why I'm asking ...... the article said that when these ferrites were placed on speaker cables the following happened:

huge difference in focus

TrevC

dim_span said:
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

I'm not sure thats why I'm asking ...... the article said that when these ferrites were placed on speaker cables the following happened:

huge difference in focus

The link doesn't work, but I can imagine the nonsense that I would have read if it did.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
dim_span said:

huge difference in focus

You asked, and you've already got conflicting answers that aren't really going to get any better as this thread progresses: some people reckon they're the miracle cure to reduce their wrinkles, heal their ills and improve their sex life, while others like me recognise them as a complete load of utter hogwash unless you have a specific problem with interference that you're trying to cure.

No matter how many pages this thread runs to, then other than the inevitable meanderings off-topic, basically that pattern of batting the ball backwards and forwards over the net is going to repeat ad nauseam with no definitive answer. So the short story is, you may as well just try them for yourself.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I've never thought of using ferrites to improve my sex life. Do they make them with a 3" diameter hole in them?

Chris

Is that the width of your vibrator/ vibrating lady part???

Joking aside, I use them. (Ferrite cores). They help stop the buzz that can occur from mobile phones.

As Steve says, other than countering RF inteference, which is blindingly obvious, they have no other use. They will stop obvious crackling type interference, but will not tighten bass, open soundstage or dress your emperor in fantastic invisible clothes...

But at the price, they can be a very simple, cheap "firewall".

:)

TRENDING THREADS