Fear of Clipping

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I may have read too much about clipping on the forums and become paranoid but having just bought new speakers (Kef Q900) I want to make sure I dont damage them. My amp is an old Arcam Alpha 8 which is probably not powerful enough for these speakers but will have to do until funds are available for an upgrade. If I keep the volume levels below the " 9 o clock" position would that prevent any issues of clipping ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Foo64 said:
If I keep the volume levels below the " 9 o clock" position would that prevent any issues of clipping ?

Yes, and also all the way up to at least the 12 o'clock position, but then that'd probably be more than loud enough for anyone's needs!

Foo64 said:
I may have read too much about clipping on the forums and become paranoid but having just bought new speakers (Kef Q900) I want to make sure I dont damage them. My amp is an old Arcam Alpha 8 which is probably not powerful enough for these speakers but will have to do until funds are available for an upgrade. If I keep the volume levels below the " 9 o clock" position would that prevent any issues of clipping ?

To add to Andrew's comment: If you hear distortion then turn the volume down immediately. I had my A65 (40 watts per channel) for years running RS6s (recommended handling power 40-120 watts) without a single problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys you have certainly put my mind at rest. I doubt if I would ever go above 11 o clock on the dial so guess I can relax and enjoy the music. Maybe I will just let the old Alpha run until it dies but then theres always the temptation for something better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts