Faulty Roksan Kandy LIII amp - anyone else?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted Tractorboy even if you did have to basically do it yourself.See Roksan are now offering a 5 year warranty on their products.Wonder if this could have been prompted (in part anyway) by a certain thread on a certain hi-fi forum?!

A

Anonymous

basshound:See Roksan are now offering a 5 year warranty on their products.

Yup, and many thanks to the always-helpful Catherine at Henley Designs for contacting me this morning to inform me of this and that my replacement amplifier is covered by the 5 year warranty.
emotion-1.gif

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
basshound:Glad you got it sorted Tractorboy even if you did have to basically do it yourself.See Roksan are now offering a 5 year warranty on their products.Wonder if this could have been prompted (in part anyway) by a certain thread on a certain hi-fi forum?!

The thread actually had no influence on the decision as it's something we've been considering for some time and were waiting for changes in international circumstances to provide the oppportunity for a global launch of the extended warranty. Just to note, this is also transferrable from owner to owner (within country of origin) as the warranty stays with the product. We have also decided to retrospectively cover all K2 products currently in the market to ensure loyal customers are not penalised.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
tractorboy:
basshound:See Roksan are now offering a 5 year warranty on their products.

Yup, and many thanks to the always-helpful Catherine at Henley Designs for contacting me this morning to inform me of this and that my replacement amplifier is covered by the 5 year warranty.
emotion-1.gif

I'm really glad this has been sorted and thanks for your comments regarding Catherine. She has worked extreemly hard behind the scenes to get this sorted. Thanks for appreciating our position as, legally, we have no jurestiction over the relationship between dealer and customer.

A

Anonymous

This is an indirectly related comment but I think it is valid.

I consider myself fortunate enough to be the owner of a Roksan caspian integrated and power amp, I have owned these from new and am guessing that they are about 12 years old now (in any case they are certainly over ten years old).

The amps get used near enough every day and they still sound wonderful.

In the time that I have owned them I have had only one problem which was promptly dealt with through a Roksan dealer (Sevenoaks hi fi).

Should I ever feel the need to buy another amplifier I would certainly consider Roksan again.

A

Anonymous

before I bought my Pioneer A-400, thought I'd have a bigger budget and had the Roksan (used) on my wishlist ... am now glad i never bought one
emotion-39.gif

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Oh-Oh here we go again.My already repaired amp. is now intermittently cutting out on the left channel, not good on a fairly expensive product that is still less than a year old.I`m going to try to get some kind of refund so am in the market for a new amp.Suggestions please for a shortlist that would go well with the rest of my kit (not including Roksan though!)Budget up to £1000.

A

Anonymous

May I be the first to extend my sympathies.

I'm not familiar with the equipment in your kit list... something from Naim perhaps? They seem to have an excellent reputation for build and reliability.

A

Anonymous

I ordered (from Audio Affair) and paid for (via PayPal) 4 Audiolab products on 17 November 2009. All products were listed "in stock". I have not received any confirmation regarding the status of my order since then and have just discovered that the www.audioaffair.co.uk website has been suspended and email correspondence via it is bouncing back. I would like to cancel this order and request a refund - if I could only get hold of Audio Affair.

A

Anonymous

romanwarrior:
I ordered (from Audio Affair) and paid for (via PayPal) 4 Audiolab products on 17 November 2009. All products were listed "in stock". I have not received any confirmation regarding the status of my order since then and have just discovered that the www.audioaffair.co.uk website has been suspended and email correspondence via it is bouncing back. I would like to cancel this order and request a refund - if I could only get hold of Audio Affair.

I have ordered a Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema Set from them and was currently waiting for them to gain new stock. I cant reach them either. I hope someone will try to call them so we can get things cleared up. I hope PayPal will refund me because I have a bad feeling about it..
emotion-12.gif

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Apparently they're having issues with their mail and internet connection. we have spoken to them today and all seemed fine, so I wouldn't panic just yet. Try calling them if you're worried.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
basshound:Oh-Oh here we go again.My already repaired amp. is now intermittently cutting out on the left channel, not good on a fairly expensive product that is still less than a year old.I`m going to try to get some kind of refund so am in the market for a new amp.Suggestions please for a shortlist that would go well with the rest of my kit (not including Roksan though!)Budget up to £1000.

You have mail!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
tractorboy:

I'm not familiar with the equipment in your kit list... something from Naim perhaps? They seem to have an excellent reputation for build and reliability.

Henley have offered to replace my Kandy or upgrade to the K2 at a very reasonable price,I`m pretty tempted by the upgrade offer so be interested to hear your thoughts on the K2 compared to the Kandy now you have had some time with it.

A

Anonymous

basshound:tractorboy:

Henley have offered to replace my Kandy or upgrade to the K2 at a very reasonable price,I`m pretty tempted by the upgrade offer so be interested to hear your thoughts on the K2 compared to the Kandy now you have had some time with it.

Hi Basshound, I'm glad Henley are going to look after you, as they did with me.

First thing to bear in mind I think is that the K2 is a different amp to the LIII, and thus has a different sound. It's a slightly less aggressive sound, rather more refined. This suits me well actually, but ideally you'd want to hear one before committing yourself to one. A bit difficult to audition at a dealer though when presumably you would be purchasing from Henley direct.

Pros

*Solid overall build

*Good looks (I think - though they are pretty divisive. The silver version I've got is a looker, not so sure about the black)

*Plenty of inputs

*Big, powerful, controlled sound. No trace of harshness.

*Excellent remote

*Much better headphone stage than the previous model.

*Phono stage is very serviceable too.

Cons

*Just as well the remote's so good, because the volume knob is borderline unsuable. Barely protrudes past the casing and wobbles around when you try to turn it. Quite a lot of flex in it, too. What were they thinking?

*Scooty wee buttons on the fascia lack the chunky feel of the LIII

*Like the previous model, only one set of speaker terminals

*Mine is passing through transformer noise to one channel. Not noticeable from the listening position, but a clear buzz when you're near the speaker, and you can hear it on the headphones between tracks. I find it hard to believe this is normal on an amp like this, so have resigned myself to sending it back to Roksan shortly for a check up.

There it is, warts n all. Hope that's a help.

A

Anonymous

I purchased a Kandy LIII amp and cd combo in February 2009 by phone from Creative Audio.

I have used the hifi as recommended with appropriate leads as supplied with Spendor A5 speakers.

My usage rate has been low, sometimes the hifi not being used for a whole week(s) at a time, and never with the output/volume pushed up.

I tried to use the amp on xmas eve and to my dismay there was no sound except when you put the volume right up and there is a faint rumbling atmospheric sound and nothing else.

I reconnected the leads and double-checked the instructions and the standby facilitiy and still no joy.

As a result of this situation and my frustration I checked the Web for any info to see if I was doing something wrong.

To my horror the What HiFi web site Issues/Blog area indicated an consistant problem with the Kandy III amplifier and the output/volume, and worse a tail of woeful events for other customers with the same problem.

I have tried to contact both Henley and Roksan by phone, but of course it is Xmas and they are closed.

I have now contacted Creative and they will pay for delivery back but I will have to carry the cost out (approx £40).

Really disappointed to hear about the problems with this amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mike, sorry to hear that you're having problems.

If you look back earlier in this thread you'll find a comment from Henley to the effect that they would never expect a customer to pay for shipping to return a faulty item. Hang on a couple of days and contact them - they're very helpful.

If you do decide to pay yourself, make sure you are shipping fully insured as amps are liable to be damaged in transit, as I found out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts