Fancy Mains Supply Blocks

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i was just looking around the merlin cables website, and i came across a list of their mains blocks

just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how you would benefit from having a better quality trailer board between the wall socket and your A/V equipment

thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Theyre generally referred to as 'mains conditioners'. They remove 'noice' from the mains supply which allows the components to work better

So a tv would be a little sharper and more colourful

A hifi would be better defined with a sweeter treble and more detail etc

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply,

what would you define 'noise' as in the context of a mains supply?

idc

With my mains conditioner plugged in there is no background hiss through my headphones when there is no music playing, unless I turn the amps volume up to maximum. Even then it is not much. If I take the conditioner out, there is more hiss. Even though I cannot hear the hiss whilst music is playing, it will still be there. By removing it I find clarity improves. It is like I am taking away a bit of cloth from over the speaker. I have also noticed that without turning up the volume control that the music sounds slightly louder.

The influence of the conditioner has varied from house to house depending on how noisy the mains is in the first place. It also tends to be more effective in the evenings when there atre more electrical items being used, switched on and off.

A

Anonymous

is there any way to 'measure' the interference in my mains supply to see if it would be beneficial to get a mains conditioner?

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
They remove 'noice' from the mains supply which allows the components to work better

noice.jpg

Yes....sounds much better without all that noice
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:
With my mains conditioner plugged in there is no background hiss through my headphones when there is no music playing, unless I turn the amps volume up to maximum. Even then it is not much. If I take the conditioner out, there is more hiss. Even though I cannot hear the hiss whilst music is playing, it will still be there. By removing it I find clarity improves. It is like I am taking away a bit of cloth from over the speaker. I have also noticed that without turning up the volume control that the music sounds slightly louder.

The influence of the conditioner has varied from house to house depending on how noisy the mains is in the first place. It also tends to be more effective in the evenings when there atre more electrical items being used, switched on and off.

Your post is by far the most compelling argument for a power conditioner I've come across. So far this was yet another item that I categorized in the "voodoo" section. Thanks. Perhaps I have to reconsider.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Stereolad:aliEnRIK:
Mains cables can also do a job of removing RFI in the mains. Especially 'braided' types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

How does a braided cable alter the mains supply?
It doesnt. Any piece of wire acts as an aerial whether it is speaker cables, interconnects or mains. The shielding / braiding is in place to negate/minimise this effect, and reduce unwanted background system noise.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Stereolad:aliEnRIK:
Mains cables can also do a job of removing RFI in the mains. Especially 'braided' types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

How does a braided cable alter the mains supply?

By braiding the negative and positive signals remove 'some' of the RFI everytime they cross paths. So the more braids and the longer the run the better the effect (Though too long causes other problems)

A

Anonymous

i thought a mains conditioner produces output in its own right like the bt units and the tacima is a filter as its passive

not that it matters just curiosity as to the difference

TRENDING THREADS