External volume Knob for Yamaha amplifier?

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a pressing question... I have a Yamaha YHT-S401 amplifier connected to my macbook pro via optical cable. With Optical it is impossible to control the mac's volume with keyboard shortcuts, only mouse, which is a pain...

Also, this amp doesn't have a knob at all... volume up and down is via buttons and I lost the remote...

I was wandering if I could get some sort of volume knob to control the volume from the amplifier? it has a USB port... and there are loads of USB knobs for laptops for sale.

Something like the TC Electronic Level Pilot C Volume Controller would be great but there are loads on Amazon and ebay.

Any ideas? suggestions?

thanks
Jorge

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there,

I’m a little confused! Easy done. Doesn’t the amp have a volume control with a remote control? Why would you need to adjust the volume on the laptop or add a gizmo to do this? Have I miss read Or miss understood what your trying to achieve

D

Deleted member 116933

Coincidently, I was editing my post when you replied!

No, the amp doesn't have a rotary vol. knob... and its in a place where it is hard for me to adjust volume (on the floor because of the subwoofer).

Please help!

see this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-CO...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

if only this would work when connected to my amp's USB...?

thanks for your suggestions.

best
Jorge

Hi.

That gizmo would indeed only work when it’s connected to the amp.

There really isn’t many options. I think it would be far easier to sort out a better position for the amp if you can to allow you access all its controls

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a pressing question... I have a Yamaha YHT-S401 amplifier connected to my macbook pro via optical cable. With Optical it is impossible to control the mac's volume with keyboard shortcuts, only mouse, which is a pain...

Also, this amp doesn't have a knob at all... volume up and down is via buttons and I lost the remote...

I was wandering if I could get some sort of volume knob to control the volume from the amplifier? it has a USB port... and there are loads of USB knobs for laptops for sale.

Something like the TC Electronic Level Pilot C Volume Controller would be great but there are loads on Amazon and ebay.

Any ideas? suggestions?

thanks
Jorge
Would purchasing a new remote control be an option for you?

Reactions: nopiano and Gray

Gray

I can see why that volume control appeals to you Jorge.

In terms of ultimate sound quality though, it will always be better to vary the volume on your amp rather than control it digitally (regardless of whether by mouse, keyboard or that USB control).
That new remote for your amp sounds like your best option (its price seems a bit steep though).

If you can use a soldering iron and do some basic DIY, then there's a relatively easy option to run a remote, wired, extension volume control from your amp.
It could be a small box similar to the Amazon one you're looking at, wired with thin 3-core cable which could be unobtrusively hidden - you could choose the control method. It could be rotary or you could have push buttons or toggle switch up / down.
If you wanted, use 4-core cable and you could include a mute button on your controller (if the amp has one).....

.....£33.45 for an original remote sounds like a good idea (y)

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

That gizmo would indeed only work when it’s connected to the amp.

There really isn’t many options. I think it would be far easier to sort out a better position for the amp if you can to allow you access all its controls

If it works through th amp's Usb than I am sorted! I may buy one from amazon and check... if it doesn't work I return it :)

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Start thinking about plan B.
Unfortunately that is (almost certainly) not going to control the volume of your amp.

I am thinking it won't, but I will go for something like this, this way it will for sure:

only thing is the knob is quite small and the 3 cables will be showing all over my desk...

Gray

I am thinking it won't, but I will go for something like this, this way it will for sure:

only thing is the knob is quite small and the 3 cables will be showing all over my desk...
Yes, that will attenuate the signal to a line (aux) input.
Don't worry about having a small knob.

Reactions: Intrepidhead

Intrepidhead

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
OK, I have found a good solution! This way I don't have to fiddle with my amps buttons nor the keyboard or mouse in my mac.

I have a DAW, Ableton Live, and a small Novation controller/mixer, so I thought that it would be great to route the sound of any app running in my mac into Ableton and control the sound on a dedicated track via the mixer's fader (and effectively, pan and run effects like EQ through that track if I want to!)...

Just downloaded this app called Soundflower (which I really never had success in making it work in the past...) and now I am using the Soundflower 2 ch as input in my Ableton DAW and Soundflower 2 ch as output from my Mac and it works!

Can't find any noticeable change in sound, but I can only play 44.1 Khz and 16 bit through Soundflower otherwise I get clicks and noise...

Now I have a convenient fader to change volume in anything coming out of my mac, a mute button on my mixer and can use effects such as EQ, through my DAW!

Attachments

• MIXER.jpg
    MIXER.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts