Extending speaker cable. Yes or No?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to move my gear to a differnt part of the room.

Currently I have Arcam CD17/A18 conected by 2 x 3mtr lengths of Cambridge Symphony bi-wire to ProAc Studio 125s.

The new speaker positions will result in one speaker being closer to the amp, probably one at 4mts and the other at 2mts. Can I shorten one length by a metre and add the excess to the other? (twisting, soldering and insulating) Or, do I buy a new 4mtr length?

Or... buy 2 new 4 mtr lengths to keep things even? But then I'll have to 'lose' 2 mts of bi-wire under the carpet on one side. Can a grown up tell me what to do please?

Paul.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the above, but in the interim you could alwys join the cables, just be sure to insulate the bare connections in each join and make sure the power is off, on all of your hifi.

Maybe obvious to some, but accidents do happen.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I've extend speaker cable before, I couldn't hear any difference. Your biggest worry is probably making a neat join.

This is probably not for the purist.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I would cut the cable to length. Unequal cable lengths, unless excessive, makes no difference to sound quality in my opinion and is much tidier.

If it were me I would go and buy either one 4 meter length of the cable you are currently using (so you end up with a 3m / 4m setup with no joins) this would save a bit of cash or if you are feeling flush buy 2 new 4m lengths (you never know if you might need to move the speakers / equipment again in the future). Always handy to have cable lengths slightly longer than they actually need be in my opinion. I am not saying you should not join cables ( I have done so myself in the past) but would do this only as a temporary measure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts