Everything sounds the same

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Ah, isn't it cute? Look at the "Everything sounds the same, only watts matter, even though I use This-specific-amp that's a different brand from the amp the other guy who has the same credo is using, or from a much cheaper amp that has oodles more power" crowd joining hands in sweet butthurtedness.

O.P.: you are a hero. If people can't tell the difference between a (levelmatched) Marantz and a Naim, good for them - they get off the hook cheaper, and can invest only in speakers. I look forward to the day my ears turn to sound filters so I can swap this SN2 for that Behringer beast and treat my girlfriend to a nice weekend in London, where I can audition some proper speakers on the side.

That is probably the neatest way I have heard anyone call the OP (in this case) deaf.

Good work......*dirol*

rainsoothe

davedotco said:
rainsoothe said:
Ah, isn't it cute? Look at the "Everything sounds the same, only watts matter, even though I use This-specific-amp that's a different brand from the amp the other guy who has the same credo is using, or from a much cheaper amp that has oodles more power" crowd joining hands in sweet butthurtedness.

O.P.: you are a hero. If people can't tell the difference between a (levelmatched) Marantz and a Naim, good for them - they get off the hook cheaper, and can invest only in speakers. I look forward to the day my ears turn to sound filters so I can swap this SN2 for that Behringer beast and treat my girlfriend to a nice weekend in London, where I can audition some proper speakers on the side.

That is probably the neatest way I have heard anyone call the OP (in this case) deaf.

Good work......*dirol*

Read it again. If it still does not compute, I'll make a drawing - if i can be bothered to. But nice attempt.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
If it's of any interest i like threads that don't have a specific path answer, after all we are human aren't we? We require stimulation in all all forms and i have noticed as i have reached 50 I'm starting strange hobbies and interests and dont chase women as much! Here is a picture of my shrimnp tank!! (when i switch to chrome, phaf around for half an hour and edit my post) Discuss and stop being nasty to each other you naughty boys! I only wish i knew how to post a bigger image, then thats been the story of my l......

16502405922_13b0a62ab7_m.jpg

TrevC

rainsoothe said:

There are no differences to hear, so nobody can hear them including you. The skimping is in that pig ugly case they put it in, not in the electronics.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
davedotco said:
rainsoothe said:

Good work......*dirol*

Read it again. If it still does not compute, I'll make a drawing - if i can be bothered to. But nice attempt.

Please.

I thought your point was clearly made. But perhaps not?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
If it's of any interest i like threads that don't have a specific path answer, after all we are human aren't we? We require stimulation in all all forms and i have noticed as i have reached 50 I'm starting strange hobbies and interests and dont chase women as much! ...

... and there was me thinking that you started building hifi speakers just to impress the chicks. ;)

rainsoothe

TrevC said:
rainsoothe said:

There are no differences to hear, so nobody can hear them including you. The skimping is in that pig ugly case they put it in, not in the electronics.

Whee. Next, on Dallas, I'm gonna find out what kind of music I like and how I percieve other stuff. I knew this time would come. Can't wait!

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site

The 'sound' of electronics are a much of a muchness, it's the choice of speakers that will give the biggest difference to the sound of any system.

As Hegel's amp designer says, he builds transparent amps and the rest of the electronics should be as transparent as possible with the 'flavour' of sound prefered by the buyer being decided by their choice of speakers.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
TrevC said:
rainsoothe said:

Whee. Next, on Dallas, I'm gonna find out what kind of music I like and how I percieve other stuff. I knew this time would come. Can't wait!

Depends how your test was done when you 'perceived' the difference. If you could see the set up or they weren't level matched to within .2dB or the time between switching gear was greater than a fraction of a second then your perceptions can fairly and legitimately be called into question.

All this has been demonstrated and is scientifically recognised as issues that can and do influence human beings perceptions of sounds.

TrevC

Jota180 said:
rainsoothe said:
TrevC said:
rainsoothe said:

Depends how your test was done when you 'perceived' the difference. If you could see the set up or they weren't level matched to within .2dB or the time between switching gear was greater than a fraction of a second then your perceptions can fairly and legitimately be called into question.

All this has been demonstrated and is scientifically recognised as issues that can and do influence human beings perceptions of sounds.

What are you replying to?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
iQ Speakers said:
If it's of any interest i like threads that don't have a specific path answer, after all we are human aren't we? We require stimulation in all all forms and i have noticed as i have reached 50 I'm starting strange hobbies and interests and dont chase women as much! ...

... and there was me thinking that you started building hifi speakers just to impress the chicks. ;)
I like these threads so much I forgot to look, Steve I wish, however i think one or two might be impressed by the size of my woffer? No i doubt it how sad. Mind you i still think Ive got it, I'm a young 50. Mind you we went to a 40th party last week and we all went to a night club, didn't get in to full, so through the park we went having piggy back races. Someone fell over smashed his shoulder. Not that he knew, home, had a row with his wife collapsed in the dowstairs bathroom, smashed his head, woke up in pain had to phone his wife to call ambulance!! Had to have operation on shoulder. This is what we used to do, but we seemed to bounce!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts