Epos Speaker repair

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
EPOs es14

can anyone suggest a suitable glue to "seal" the mid/bass driver cone back to the voice coil former.

It's not come away, its just not air tight anymore.

thanks in advance

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure Rick of EB, or EBR as he is known locally, will be able to help ...
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:I'm sure Rick of EB, or EBR as he is known locally, will be able to help ...
emotion-2.gif

Given that Epos is owned by Creek (and is an entirely different company to EB Acoustics) I doubt that he could help.

Jony*5, I would suggest you call Epos for their advice.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

drummerman:I'm sure Rick of EB, or EBR as he is known locally, will be able to help ...
emotion-2.gif

Given that Epos is owned by Creek (and is an entirely different company to EB Acoustics) I doubt that he could help.

Oh buddy, don't spoil my fun. We're only talking about a suggestion of glue here. He should know and as the OP already started a new EB thread (one was overdue
emotion-2.gif
) Rick is the obvious choice in the absence of Mike Creek. They do make speakers you know, just in case you were wondering. That and a little more exposure.

Personally, I'd just use a little superglue but I can't say for certain that is the right choice (or of course just discard them and get some EB2)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Drummerman,
Your conspiracy theory is getting tiresome now. Please desist.

To the OP,
You should be able to get something suitable from online sellers such as this...

Ah, alrighty then ...

A

Anonymous

Also a vote of contacting epos, as they will tell you the exact glue they used for the speakers. It will be shown on all their manufacturing drawings which should be kept on file.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, that would seem to be the best answer, and I've always found the company to be extremely helpful.

Of course, if the speakers are seriously old, and predate the Creek/Epos era, the information may not be to hand...

A

Anonymous

Found them very helfull also on all matters before.

If they pre date their drawing records, then if the can gauge what type of wood cabinet they are they can give a good guestimate as to the right kind of bonding glue for them, or another double jointing method of glue and glue tape.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
potboyslim:if the can gauge what type of wood cabinet they are they can give a good guestimate as to the right kind of bonding glue for them, or another double jointing method of glue and glue tape.

But the problem is between cone and voice coil former, not to do with the cabinet, if I read the original question correctly...

A

Anonymous

My mistake, have been looking at cabinet making today and sort of had it in my head then..Sorry.

They still should be able to give the right info on bonding if they have the code off the back and maybe the serial number from it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advise,

I rang Mike Creek @ Epos, he suggested it was a very difficult job, due to the dual suspension. But I'm going to try putting a "tube" of xray film down the inside of the voice coil, around the pahse plug (for protection).

Then, a small amount of super glue with activator around the base of the cone.

Interestingly he mentioned a new pair of Epos Encore 20's which might be a suitable replacement for my 14's, which will be on display at silverstone ent of Sep '10.

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You do know that the phase plug unscrews, don't you? I used superglue to reattach the mid/bass cone of one ES14 speaker many years ago (more than 10, I think). Still works fine - and I can not tell which one it was.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts