Epos epic 2 vs PMC DB1i. Anyone heard both?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After returning the dmeo version of the PMC i bought some KEF LS50s but cant live with the metal dome tweeter. I am returning tomorrow(only had 6 days).

I am never buying a metal dome speaker again.

I am looking at the Epic 2's and was wondering how they compare to the PMCs'? I have heard alot of people saying the Epos are the best speaker overall under £100 that they have heard and considering they are less than half the price i may go this route?

any feedback appreciated and no i m not keeping the Kefs while trying to 'toe in' etc etc. First impressions are ALWAYS correct imo and my experience plus i have ran for 70 hours now on Marantz and Yamaha receivers!

A

Anonymous

keenly said:
After returning the dmeo version of the PMC i bought some KEF LS50s but cant live with the metal dome tweeter. I am returning tomorrow(only had 6 days).

I am never buying a metal dome speaker again.

I am looking at the Epic 2's and was wondering how they compare to the PMCs'? I have heard alot of people saying the Epos are the best speaker overall under £100 that they have heard and considering they are less than half the price i may go this route?

any feedback appreciated and no i m not keeping the Kefs while trying to 'toe in' etc etc. First impressions are ALWAYS correct imo and my experience plus i have ran for 70 hours now on Marantz and Yamaha receivers!

I meant under 1K. currently 380 on Audioaffair.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't even begin to understand why you dislike the tweeter in the LS 50, must be a serious mismatch with your source/amp then

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Did you try the R100/300, which are a little smoother?

If you find the above too bright as well, you should definitely try the SA1s.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have not heard the Epic-2 yet. I still want to compare it to my old Epos ES-11's. That are real sweet sounding speakers. I have read that the Epic 2 is comparable to them, but even a slight bit softer. I compared LS50's to ES-11's and found the LS50' s tweeter a little more present, yes. It's bass was less present. The total gave a listeningexperience of a smaller speaker. That's why in the end i prefered the Epos. The Epic-2 has more bass then my ES-11, so will sound even bigger.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Keenly,

I'm also one of those people who don't seem to get along with metal tweeters (or just have not found the right ones) so I went for some Dynaudio Excites which I love and can listen to all day with no ear fatigue so just a suggestion to maybe give them a shot, they are great all-rounders, I am even going to upgrade to a higher Dyn series soon, I think I am a fan for life.

ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

I'm also one of those people who don't seem to get along with metal tweeters (or just have not found the right ones) so I went for some Dynaudio Excites which I love and can listen to all day with no ear fatigue so just a suggestion to maybe give them a shot, they are great all-rounders, I am even going to upgrade to a higher Dyn series soon, I think I am a fan for life.

Hi Aaron

I agree in that Dynaudio's Excite X12's are excellent speakers
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Dynaudio x12's. I've had Epos M12.2's before the Dyns, they were good, but the metal tweeters were too bright , thats why I replaced them with the Exite x12's. Not heard the Epic 2's though.

A

Anonymous

ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

Wouldn't Dynaudio be a waste with Marantz SR 7005?. I can't change receiver and the Dyns need more power right?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
To be honest with you this might be a dealers question on here to answer, I know they are not the easiest load but having a quick look at your amp its looks like its pretty ballsy and not a cheap amp when it was new. I find myself very sensitive to brightness and I cannot fault these speakers as far as brightness is concerned, often they make me smile with the smooth sound that comes out of them. If they are within your budget give them a shot I guess if someone can confirm they will run fine with your amp, the X-12's are a great little speaker, the X-16 I beleive is basically the same but with more scale and if I had one small regret with the X-12's I have it is that I did not get the X-16's, but they do offer a lot for the size. I plan to move up to the Focus range or keeping an eye out for a second hand Contour as my next purchase.

keenly said:
ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

Wouldn't Dynaudio be a waste with Marantz SR 7005?. I can't change receiver and the Dyns need more power right?

Ideally, yes. However these http://www.whathifi.com/review/dynaudio-dm-26/specs should demonstrate a little more amp benevolence than the 'X' range. Some on here have powered Marantz 7001s and even low-powered Arcams to good effect. Plus, the DM ranges, according to Dyns website, are easier to place than other Dyns.

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I use the Dyns with a small amp, the Heed Obelisk Si (+ external power supply). This is a 50w/ch amp into 8 ohm, 90 w/ch into 4. This amp isn't as powerful as some, but it can drive the dyns pretty easily, so I can say, that in this case quality is more important, than quantity. You could make a try with your Marantz.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Ideally, yes. However these http://www.whathifi.com/review/dynaudio-dm-26/specs should demonstrate a little more amp benevolence than the 'X' range. Some on here have powered Marantz 7001s and even low-powered Arcams to good effect. Plus, the DM ranges, according to Dyns website, are easier to place than other Dyns.

Yes indeed give these a shot too! See if the house of Dynaudio is the sound for you.

TBF though, they say that PMC DB1is need really good amplification but I had them powered by my old 40 watt Arcam amp, and sounded sublime.

Honestly believe IF you need to really crank up the volume then yes, the amp maybe found wanting, but at normal levels* it shouldn't be an issue.

*By normal levels, I mean you can adequately hear the music (well above idling levels) and have a conversation without shouting: "What!?... Twenty five past three!!"

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This week i've demo Epos Epic 2 and 5. And i must say that they are two complitly different speakers, the 5 is much more bright than the 2, the sales man said that is duo the crossover.And the title best buy under 1k is for the Epic 5. I thought that the 2's were the same as the 5's, but smaler, but they aren't... Sadly...Last week i've demo the Dyns X12, and, and, and they are the most brilliant speakers that i've heard, they have everything that i want in a speaker at this time, detail, 3d imaging, fading act ( you couldn't point where the sound come from) I felt in love right there!My Brio R will arrive some time in November, and if I buy the Dyns i know that the Brio R will run out of gas before the dyns...

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
This week i've demo Epos Epic 2 and 5. And i must say that they are two complitly different speakers, the 5 is much more bright than the 2, the sales man said that is duo the crossover.And the title best buy under 1k is for the Epic 5. I thought that the 2's were the same as the 5's, but smaler, but they aren't... Sadly...Last week i've demo the Dyns X12, and, and, and they are the most brilliant speakers that i've heard, they have everything that i want in a speaker at this time, detail, 3d imaging, fading act ( you couldn't point where the sound come from) I felt in love right there!My Brio R will arrive some time in November, and if I buy the Dyns i know that the Brio R will run out of gas before the dyns...
[/quote]

Nice work, I can say I enjoyed them straight out of the box had me smiling from day one, I have just bought a Quad 909 power amp second hand on ebay to give them a bit of the what for I will find out if I made the right choice and the results soon.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

Dyn fan for life myself. I've owned the X12 and X16 and I share your love for them. They are fantastic speakers especially for people that like a smooth sound.

With that said, I've also owned the PMC DB1i and it's outstanding. The DB1i is more transparent. They are both great speakers and are my two top picks for a very small speaker. I'd pick the PMC over the X12 though. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

So what did you think of the Epic-2 ? I think it will not disappear like the Dynaudio, but with a tube-amp it could do so. The Epic-2 or it's more expensive "brother", the Elan 15, seem very dynamic to me, but also sweet sounding, and kind of neutral. A good amp will bring it's qualities wright out. And the Epic-2 has good strong bass i read from the reviews!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Rethep said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

So what did you think of the Epic-2 ? I think it will not disappear like the Dynaudio, but with a tube-amp it could do so. The Epic-2 or it's more expensive "brother", the Elan 15, seem very dynamic to me, but also sweet sounding, and kind of neutral. A good amp will bring it's qualities wright out. And the Epic-2 has good strong bass i read from the reviews!

Yes they have a strong bass, in this matter nothing to say. I think they need a bright amp, for leveling Thing up ( for my taste) i came from MA B4 with a metal dome twiter, i have them since 2005.

The Dyns X12 they have the transparency that i like, but on the edge the still are smooth, and my MA aren't.

I don't know if that makes sence...

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired said:
ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

Dyn fan for life myself. I've owned the X12 and X16 and I share your love for them. They are fantastic speakers especially for people that like a smooth sound. With that said, I've also owned the PMC DB1i and it's outstanding. The DB1i is more transparent. They are both great speakers and are my two top picks for a very small speaker. I'd pick the PMC over the X12 though. Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Hey Jaxwired - I have just bought a Quad 909 poweramp second hand, searching on forum looks like you may have had one in the past, what were your impressions? AND...if I were to upgrade my speakers to other Dyn's would you suggest or have you had any experience with the new Focus 160's or a second hand pair of contours 1.4s? Thanks Mate.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ABM78 said:
Hey Jaxwired - I have just bought a Quad 909 poweramp second hand, searching on forum looks like you may have had one in the past, what were your impressions? AND...if I were to upgrade my speakers to other Dyn's would you suggest or have you had any experience with the new Focus 160's or a second hand pair of contours 1.4s? Thanks Mate.

The 909 is superb. Lots of power, small box, runs cool, loved it. The 909 has fabulous midrange and extended highs. It's only flaw is the bass is not as powerful as some other amps but with Dyn speakers, they don't really need more help with the bass.

What preamp are you using with it? In my experience, the preamp impacts the sound quality more than the amp.

I owned the Contour S1.4s for a good 2 years before changing. I thought they were outstanding. The one caveat is that they have prodigious bass output, more than even the other Dynaudios. If you do not have a big enough room or at least the ability to keep them well clear of all walls, they will sound too boomy. The Focus 160 is the speaker that led me to my current Focus 340s. I bought the 160s after reading all the positive reviews and like them so much I traded them in for the 340s. The 160s do not suffer from the same bass issues that the S1.4s do. They are more balanced. They have delicate open treble and mids with just the perfect amount of deep bass. For a small to medium size room, I'd be going for the 160s over the S1.4s.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Keep us posted.

A

Anonymous

ABM78 said:
Hi Keenly,

I am looking at the excite's right now. The testing on stereophile shows they are easier to drive than you would expect. Should be o.k on my Marantz.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Did you try the R100/300, which are a little smoother?

If you find the above too bright as well, you should definitely try the SA1s.

Its not so much brightness. Just a hard edge to vocals.

This is exactly what i have said about the Monitor Audio RX range for months and What hi fi have changed their review syaing the EXACT same thing.

I have spoken to people who have the SA1s and everybody says they sound amazing but need a sub. Plus the center is very expensive and i am setting up a 5.1 system.

I would buy an ex demo pair though for cheap.

A

Anonymous

ABM78 said:
To be honest with you this might be a dealers question on here to answer, I know they are not the easiest load but having a quick look at your amp its looks like its pretty ballsy and not a cheap amp when it was new. I find myself very sensitive to brightness and I cannot fault these speakers as far as brightness is concerned, often they make me smile with the smooth sound that comes out of them. If they are within your budget give them a shot I guess if someone can confirm they will run fine with your amp, the X-12's are a great little speaker, the X-16 I beleive is basically the same but with more scale and if I had one small regret with the X-12's I have it is that I did not get the X-16's, but they do offer a lot for the size. I plan to move up to the Focus range or keeping an eye out for a second hand Contour as my next purchase.

what are the Dyns like with movies? Too laid back or could they make action scenes sound huge like the cheaper MA RX1s for e.g?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Rethep said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Yes they have a strong bass, in this matter nothing to say. I think they need a bright amp, for leveling Thing up ( for my taste) i came from MA B4 with a metal dome twiter, i have them since 2005.

The Dyns X12 they have the transparency that i like, but on the edge the still are smooth, and my MA aren't.

I don't know if that makes sence...

Yes it does, somehow.

My "problem" is, choose for the Epos-sound (maybe new Epic-2 or Elan-15) combined with an extremely good (new) valve-amp which makes the disappear-effect, or buy a speaker which does that (like the Dynaudio's or LS50's) and use a transistoramp, which they need imo.

I heard the Dynaudio's but i think they need a strong, bright, ss-amp, otherwise they sound a bit polite, i think. A valve-amp would be no good partner. The LS50 sounded a bit bright on vocals (not on violins) but loose in the bass, so needs a warm powerful ss-amp.

Advice will be appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts