Entry-level turntable

gdrinot

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I want to start using vinyl records so I am looking for a good setup. I need some advice on entry-level turntables. I want a fully manual (or semi-automatic with auto-off), belt-drive, needle upgradability (preferably to a diamond tip needle), lightweight arm, and (not as important) wood-finish (unless that is not good for listening). What would you recommend?
I am on a budget, I understand that you get what you pay for, but considering that if I drop $300 on a turntable that I have to then buy all the additional parts for the setup, that is way to pricey. Perhaps something with speakers in it, or the pre-amp in it, or one that is cheap enough where I would be able to not go broke buying the entire setup. Like I said, I am wishing to start, so I do not want to invest a huge amount on something that I may not stick with, but then again I do not want to cheapskate with it because then the poor quality will most likely make it difficult to stick with it. I wish to find a balance. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Look at budget turntables made by Rega and Pro-Ject and select the one that you can afford. You won't get wood though. Ahem. You will however get a decent plug and play turntable for your money. Or second-hand of course as the previous poster indicated but you have to know what you're looking for; I'm sure if you found a second-hand tt one of us would give you advice.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mention the Rega and Pro-ject options as I assumed the OP had discounted these. Personally I'd forget about wood and go for one of the two obvious choices, safe bets and the perfect starting point.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
For my money you won't go far wrong with an old Rega Planar3. It has what is still regarded as a rather good tonearm in the RB300 (provided you get the right version). These can be picked up quite easily for around £175 (maybe $225?) Just stick on a half-decent cartridge and away you go
thumbs_up.gif

nopiano said:
Welcome to the forum. You ask about a turntable, but then mention things like lightweight arm and built-in speakers which sounds like you may be visualising a record player.

All hifi turntables have 'lightweight arms', and a diamond stylus (sapphire is unheard of these days as they only lasted 100 sides). And all the other stuff is I suppose and amplifier and a pair of speakers (or headphones), which are pretty vital if you want to listen! In the UK, you can get amp and speakers for, say, £300 which would probably be $300 for you - so a total budget of $600 for brand new.

Bear in mind that LPs are $20 - $30 a pop too, so not much point in buying the most expensive software to play on a basic turntable, arguably. Better a five dollar CD on a $150 player?

Do you know enough about audio to choose something pre-owned?

+1

It would be unwise to think you can do justice to the vinyl format on the cheap.

From your initial post it is not obvious if you have anything hifi at the moment that you want to connect a turntable to or if you are starting from scratch, so to speak.

Welcome to the forum. You ask about a turntable, but then mention things like lightweight arm and built-in speakers which sounds like you may be visualising a record player.

All hifi turntables have 'lightweight arms', and a diamond stylus (sapphire is unheard of these days as they only lasted 100 sides). And all the other stuff is I suppose an amplifier and a pair of speakers (or headphones), which are pretty vital if you want to listen! In the UK, you can get amp and speakers for, say, £300 which would probably be $300 for you - so a total budget of $600 for brand new.

Bear in mind that LPs are $20 - $30 a pop too, so not much point in buying the most expensive software to play on a basic turntable, arguably. Better a five dollar CD on a $150 player?

Do you know enough about audio to choose something pre-owned?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi...

I've owned a Rega Planar 3 (around 20 years ago!!) and currently have a Project Debut Phono in my setup. Both have been great to be fair, but I'd get a Planar 3 if you can find one at the prices mentioned in the other posts.

Either way, I can recommmend either - don't forget to make sure your amplifier hass a phono stage - or that you buy a TT with one built in.

Enjoy testing a few and decide from there - I'm sure everyone will agree that is the best way to go!

Melchior

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you want to get decent sound from records, you need to spend a lot more than $300. There is no point otherwise. You can't even buy a decent cartridge for $300. An old CD player will give you better sound, for $150.

iMark

I'm sorry to say that you won't get anywhere with a budget of just $300 unless you already have a decent stereo system with an amp with a phono stage. You could get some nice sounds from the budget Pro-Jects.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Have to agree with the poster above who is recommending the second-hand market $300.00 exchanged to sterling UK works out at £184.00. For that kind of money your going to find it hard to pick up anything turntable wise. Or let’s put it another way you need someone who knows about turntables to be with you if you do find anything in that budget

You are better looking at a second hand stereo all in one box –CD player - amp – radio – speakers. You will get a good sound and volume from makes like , Tec – Denon – Onkoy are best if you can’t find one of them then go for Sony – Pioneer.

When budget improves sell the stereo and then move towards a turntable from Project or Rega.

Good Luck

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Melchior said:
There is no point otherwise. You can't even buy a decent cartridge for $300.

This Ortofon 2M Blue of mine must be rubbish then.

No DIB...the 2m Blue is an excellent cartridge. I'm not a fan of the cheaper Ortofons but the 2M Blue is a detailed and tonally-balanced cartridge. I've got one on an LP12 and it sounds just right. Listen to your ears, not forum gossip.

Regards

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

No DIB...the 2m Blue is an excellent cartridge. I'm not a fan of the cheaper Ortofons but the 2M Blue is a detailed and tonally-balanced cartridge. I've got one on an LP12 and it sounds just right. Listen to your ears, not forum gossip.

Regards

Don't worry Jim, my tongue was very firmly in my cheek.
wink_smile.gif

To suggest that you can't get a decent cartridge for less than $300 is a nonsense.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the Audio-Technica AT 95e, which I think is about £25, is an unbelievable cartridge for the money. I know there's a lot of Nagaoka fans, I'm one of them, but Ortofon and Audio Technica make decent gear too. The cartridge, especially on mid/good turntables, is the least of your worries if the truth be known!

Regards

To suggest that you can't get a decent cartridge for less than $300 is a nonsense.

Oh dear, I think that comment went in th wrong place. What a silly bunt I am. I'll try again.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the Audio-Technica AT 95e, which I think is about £25, is an unbelievable cartridge for the money. I know there's a lot of Nagaoka fans, I'm one of them, but Ortofon and Audio Technica make decent gear too. The cartridge, especially on mid/good turntables, is the least of your worries if the truth be known!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

x

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the Audio-Technica AT 95e, hich I think is about £25, is an unbelievable cartridge for the money. I know there's a lot of Nagaoka fans, I'm one of them, but Ortofon and Audio Technica make decent gear too. The cartridge, especially on mid/good turntables, is the least of your worries if the truth be known!

Regards

Oh dear, I think that comment went in th wrong place. What a silly bunt I am. I'll try again.

I agree re the Audio Technica E95. Currently using it on my back up player, the Ariston RD40. It's doing a grand job too!

My Spacedeck is currently boxed, along with my of my other equipment due to on-going building works.

I had no idea those Ariston decks looked so much like a Linn LP12. Unbelievable! I guess Linn may have pinched the design and done their own thing with it.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

x

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the Audio-Technica AT 95e, hich I think is about £25, is an unbelievable cartridge for the money. I know there's a lot of Nagaoka fans, I'm one of them, but Ortofon and Audio Technica make decent gear too. The cartridge, especially on mid/good turntables, is the least of your worries if the truth be known!

Regards

I agree re the Audio Technica 95e. Currently using it on my back up player, the Ariston RD40. It's doing a grand job too!

My Spacedeck is currently boxed, along with most of my other equipment due to on-going building works.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
luckylion100 said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

x

Regards

I agree re the Audio Technica E95. Currently using it on my back up player, the Ariston RD40. It's doing a grand job too!

My Spacedeck is currently boxed, along with my of my other equipment due to on-going building works.

I had no idea those Ariston decks looked so much like a Linn LP12. Unbelievable! I guess Linn may have pinched the design and done their own thing with it.

Jim, you mean the Ariston RD80 I presume. I haven't really read up on it but I believe Ariston was formed of some disgruntled former Linn employees... Others on here I'm sure will know the story but yes those decks look like carbon copies.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Jim-W said:
luckylion100 said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Jim-W said:
DIB said:
Melchior said:

x

Regards

Jim, you mean the Ariston RD80 I presume. I haven't really read up on it but I believe Ariston was formed of some disgruntled former Linn employees... Others on here I'm sure will know the story but yes those decks look like carbon copies.

Sorry. Yes I meant the RD 80!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts