Emotional Attachment to Hi-Fi

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a Denon PMA 355UK amp, Denon TU-260 II tuner, NAD CD player and Tannoy R3 speakers in the loft. They aren't worth very much.. They are in excellent condition. I've run out of rooms in our house for hi-fi.

I'm reluctant to sell them because it was my very first hi-fi that I bought from Richer Sounds in 1999. Does anyone else have this problem?

Not specifically hifi. But I still have a Panasonic VCR that was barely used from 1998. I’m never going to use it in any setup, but just can’t part with it 🤣🤣
oh, and the matching DVD player to go with it too, although that is used as a CD player in the “office” .

Reactions: barcpc

Gray

Not specifically hifi. But I still have a Panasonic VCR that was barely used from 1998. I’m never going to use it in any setup, but just can’t part with it 🤣🤣
oh, and the matching DVD player to go with it too, although that is used as a CD player in the “office” .
I've got a nice Sanyo Betamax for you.
(Suitcase size, 10x the weight).

manicm

My Arcam Solo Mini simply had to go. And I miss it terribly cos even after 11 years it sounded brilliant.

A real pity Arcam have not made a true successor (I don't think the Neo is, and from a few reviews I've read it doesn't have the real world power of the Mini).

And most importantly, it simply looked gorgeous. Simply a jewel of compact hi-fi.

I have a Denon PMA 355UK amp, Denon TU-260 II tuner, NAD CD player and Tannoy R3 speakers in the loft. They aren't worth very much.. They are in excellent condition. I've run out of rooms in our house for hi-fi.

I'm reluctant to sell them because it was my very first hi-fi that I bought from Richer Sounds in 1999. Does anyone else have this problem?
No, not me anyway.
kit stuffed away in lofts is a waste of good money that could readily be employed elsewhere.
If you don't use it then sell it!

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

I have an original Cyrus One I bought in the late 80s. I cannot sell it as it brings happy memories of those years and anyway it is still functional

Reactions: A-Line and Al ears

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I have an original Cyrus One I bought in the late 80s. I cannot sell it as it brings happy memories of those years and anyway it is still functional
I took it to a branch of Richer Sounds a couple of years ago while choosing a CD player. Wifey pushed me in to buying a full width amplifier to match the CD player. The staff and manager were astounded how good the Cyrus sounded.

D

Deleted member 160668

I'm considering selling my heavily modified and upgraded Jolida Glass MK2 valve DAC. I'm not using it and haven't for a few months now, it is just sat in a drawer... I've written the advert twice then deleted it.

The issue is, it just sounds so good and they are near impossible to pick up. It took me an age to get this, plus it's been super modded. If I sell it I might never get one again...

On one hand it's criminal this is not being used by someone. It's a fantastic DAC. On the other hand I will miss it and the ability to twist the "flavour" with a change of valves.

Currently I'm using my Arcam D33, mainly as it has multiple input options, more than the Jolida does. Both are big hitters imo.

It's tough!

shadders

I'm considering selling my heavily modified and upgraded Jolida Glass MK2 valve DAC. I'm not using it and haven't for a few months now, it is just sat in a drawer... I've written the advert twice then deleted it.

The issue is, it just sounds so good and they are near impossible to pick up. It took me an age to get this, plus it's been super modded. If I sell it I might never get one again...

On one hand it's criminal this is not being used by someone. It's a fantastic DAC. On the other hand I will miss it and the ability to twist the "flavour" with a change of valves.

Currently I'm using my Arcam D33, mainly as it has multiple input options, more than the Jolida does. Both are big hitters imo.

It's tough!
Hi,
If you like the DAC so much, then don't sell it. Even if it is in a drawer somewhere, there might be a time when you want to listen using it and the sound it presents.

I think we all have lots of hifi we don't use or not very often. I have donated to charity shops older hifi, but always kept the good stuff for later use.

Regards,
Shadders.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Yup. My first system was in 1988 Pioneer A223 amplifier, PD5100 CD player and Mordaunt Short MS10 speakers. Still somewhere in the garage. sold the speakers and missed them immediately. Crazy. Hadn‘t listened to them for nearly 30 years :rolleyes:

Peluca

Feb 20, 2022
Visit site
I'll never forgive myself for selling my Naim 32.5 and 110 pre and power amps. Never. I still look them up on ebay, thinking about replacing them, but it's just not the same....

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
My dad bought a Technics rack in the late 70s. It comprised a 616 cassette deck and SA200 or 400 receiver. Several years after he passed away, we eventually sold the rig which was just gathering dust in the garage and gave the proceeds to charity. However, a few years ago I felt some nostalgia and tried to recreate his kit and bought a few matching components. They played ok but were more visual pieces which I left on a side table and would admiringly gaze at whilst listening to my main rig. Sadly I recently sold them on due to complete reorganisation of my listening room. I also owned a Nakamichi Dragon for many years which again I recently moved on due to a lack of listening.

Attachments

• tech.jpg
    tech.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts