Emotional Attachment to Hi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
Lovely! I’ve a ZX7 I’d like overhauled but since the B&W shop who serviced UK Nakamichis closed a year or so ago I’m struggling to find somewhere with the know how and parts.

I can’t remember, are you in the UK?
I had my Nak serviced by B&W in around 2016 . There is a company called Nak Labs that does refurb and servicing. I am from the UK but living on mainland Europe.

Reactions: nopiano

robdmarsh

My dad bought a Technics rack in the late 70s. It comprised a 616 cassette deck and SA200 or 400 receiver. Several years after he passed away, we eventually sold the rig which was just gathering dust in the garage and gave the proceeds to charity. However, a few years ago I felt some nostalgia and tried to recreate his kit and bought a few matching components. They played ok but were more visual pieces which I left on a side table and would admiringly gaze at whilst listening to my main rig. Sadly I recently sold them on due to complete reorganisation of my listening room. I also owned a Nakamichi Dragon for many years which again I recently moved on due to a lack of listening.
I have a soft spot for old Technics gear too. Btw, what's that lovely looking silver box on your sideboard?

Reactions: MrSinghsStereo

MrSinghsStereo

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
I have a soft spot for old Technics gear too. Btw, what's that lovely looking silver box on your sideboard?
I think a lot of folk started their journeys with Technics gear , affordable and good value but it was rarely well reviewed in the 80s hifi mags (this one included !).
Not sure which item you refer to but if you mean the silver unit on the spectral stand under the beige canvas , that’s my old CH Precision i1 integrated amp with dac module . Now replaced along with The speakers shown ( stenheim Alumine 2) by the stenheim Alumine 3 and the ch precision a1.5 power amp . The meridian 808 performing dac and pre amp duties .

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
My first HiFi setup (1996) was the Sony Scala II (amplifier, tuner, cd, cassette player) combined with the B&W 302. I was always weak on these mini / midi components, so I started spinning them as my second bedroom system. Technics, Teac, Yamaha, Sony I tried all possible variations of the listed manufacturers, while Sony calmly waited in the box, packed. I even had two Sony Scales at one point (as for spare parts). Then at one point I realized that I would never sell that Scala; my first system bought from my first money. I sold the B&W 302, as well as all those mini / midi variations, but the Scala remains (I only had the courage to give up the cassette player). I understand this emotional connection, but I am also aware that it can become a burden. All these devices that have a display at one point become difficult to read, and the display itself is difficult to repair. I believe that in the end I will only be left with an amplifier (Sony Ta-s2) and some streaming box. There is nothing worse if the device is standing and not being used.

Reactions: Gray

Ivabigun

Mar 5, 2022
Visit site
Sadly my old marantz 67 se cd palyer never recovered from being in the loft as it will not play despite powering up , anyone know where I could get this repaired ?

matthewpianist

I've swapped any changed so much over the years that there's be no chance to grow attached to anything. This is of course partly down to just not liking what I've had long term.

The only kit I wish I still had is the stuff I had when I was younger, and that's out of nostalgia more than anything although the little Sansui AU-2200 would still make a very musical companion in my office space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts