Electronic for PMC Twenty 26

503PL

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Currently I am listening from Laptop - USB Chord Qutest - Roksan Caspian M2.
Sometimes I feel that sound is to bright, to insistent, messed up. Especially on higher volume.
What do you think is to change? Chord? Roksan? Both?
Yesterday I tried Moon 340iX, it was much worse! Few month ago i tried Leema Tucana II it was a little better. I trie to find something warm, with punchy bass and calm on high frequiencies.
Any idea?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My experience of Roksan (Oxygene and Kandy) amps is they were crying out for just a touch more bass and punch some, dare I say it, eq/tone controls.....
Look up a Schiit Loki which is an inexpensive way of tweaking your sound.
If you must change your amp Arcam are warmer and punchier imo than Roksan, Nad also.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I thought that Audio once for all put eqalizers to trash :)
I had NAD 326/356 in the past. New class D is totally out of my like.
What do you think about
Electrocompaniet ECI-5 MK2
ot seperate Cyrus PRE + AMP ?

Who is audio?
I was brought up with tone controls and my view is they can still have a place. Your Roksan is a very capable amp and a tweak of eq could save you a costly upgrade.
Cyrus way too bright, I've not heard Electrocompaniet so can't comment.
Arcam A39 would be a good option. Check out Vincent amps, bags of punch and warmth along with tone controls!!

Class D aren’t all the same. Bel Canto make Class D sound “analogue”, with a warmer balance so it sounds easier on the ear, but retains the positive aspects of Class D.

From the characteristics you describe, I’d try the Hegel H390. You could always look at the Norma Audio Revo IPA70/IPA140 amplifiers (both have DAC options), that both have quite a high amperage output.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You could try a Roksan K3 if you want to stay within the brand.Rotel 1592 and Yamaha AS 1100/2100 are also worth to be tried .Plenty of muscle .

You are right to pass lower Class D amps.With speakers like your PMC class D starts to make sense with amps like the NAD M series (full size like M32,M22),upper tier Hegels like mentioned or from boutique manufactures like Nord,Apollon etc...if you can/will not build your own device .

503PL

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I'd be amazed if Cyrus and PMC would not make your ears bleed. Electro should work. In my opinion you mostly have gear that's on bright side. What's your budget?
I can take for Roksan around 900 pound + 700 for Qutest. I can Add 1000 from pocket. But than I need new source and amplifier.

Fwiw, a client who bought a Masterclass ANV-50 in Blue (front panel) finish :cool: from us a few days ago to power his Boenicke' loudspeakers posted his views on another site -

"Have to say the more I listen to the system with this amp the more impressed I am with it. Two things immediately jump out - the bass grip it seems to have on the speakers (and with the Boenicke's that is no mean feat) and the subtle details that it reveals. I have owned many amp and speaker combinations in the past and rarely have I heard the little nuances that the Sugden and Boenicke pairing bring out. "

"With regards to the bass of the last three amplifiers I have owned - Audiozen Alchemy (90w 8 ohms/170w 4 ohms), Kinki Studio (215w 8 ohms/400w 4ohms) and Gato (250w 8 ohms/500w 4 ohms) - the Sugden easily sounds the most powerful of them all."

"It is early days and I am in the new amp honeymoon period but I think my amplifier hunting days may be finally over."

Reactions: insider9

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Currently I am listening from Laptop - USB Chord Qutest - Roksan Caspian M2.
Sometimes I feel that sound is to bright, to insistent, messed up. Especially on higher volume.
What do you think is to change? Chord? Roksan? Both?
Yesterday I tried Moon 340iX, it was much worse! Few month ago i tried Leema Tucana II it was a little better. I trie to find something warm, with punchy bass and calm on high frequiencies.
Any idea?
Does your laptop have stored music or are you running a streaming service from it ie Tidal or Spotify? If it's the latter then try a dedicated stream which will help tame the digital nasties and noise the laptop will generate and impact the sound. Try it! I upgraded my streaming component which really opened up the sound ... No harshness or shrill upper end ....

503PL

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Does your laptop have stored music or are you running a streaming service from it ie Tidal or Spotify? If it's the latter then try a dedicated stream which will help tame the digital nasties and noise the laptop will generate and impact the sound. Try it! I upgraded my streaming component which really opened up the sound ... No harshness or shrill upper end ....
I am using Spotify , Tidal HiFi and Foobar 2000 with FLAC collection as well.
Not sure i want more open sound :p
The audioquest Forest takes treble down a notch. For me that takes some getting use to.
I was testing Van den Hul cable. Most dark cables. Now playing on Oehlbach XXL. And i will not change my cables :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts