Electrocompaniet and Focal - A Good Match?

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have an Electrocompaniet ECI-6DS DAC/Streamer/Amplifier and I am thinking of buying a pair of Focal Utopia Diablo speakers to replace my KEF XQ40s, connected with Atlas Hyper 3 speaker cable.. I sit about 2.5 metres from my speaakers and the spearkers are about 1.9 metres apart and the fronts are about 60 cm from the rear wall. My main sources of music are classical music from my Arcam T32 tuner and pop (60s - Present) from a Mac Mini running Pure Music software. I also put the digital signals from my TV and Oppo Blu-Ray player through the amp but movies are much less important than music for me. My room is a little sonically bright.

Would the Diablos be a signifcant upgrade in performance for my system. In particular, do they go with the amp?

Are there any other speakers I should look at in this price range?

Thank you for you help

Stormboy

Not deflecting you at all from Cno's sound advice, I'd have thought you could throw the net rather wider, depending on the results you are seeking. You have a great amp with 2 x 125 watts which is ample for most home systems.

Personally, having heard Focal of various types at shows for 5 or 6 years at least, they have invariably felt to me more like being caught in the laser beam of an alien invader than presenting a reasonable verson of live music making. Once they did sound very good, however, so there clearly is potential unrealised in most set ups. I personally dislike the dalek design too, but that is nought to do with the sound. I'd need convincing that as your room is brightish that these would not simply be too toppy and strident.

For £7600 you have an enormous range of choices, and I'd certainly not want to miss hearing PMC (as Cno suggests), maybe the Fact .8 which I've heard on decent Naim gear and was very taken. Though PMC as a rule is hardly sweet and smooth, but more open and analytical.

I'd also want to sample KEF, B&W, Sonus faber, ATC, ProAc, and maybe the brands I've never quite 'got', like Usher and Wilson Benesch. I love Sonus fabers, so I'd seek out the Cremona M. What does your Electro dealer suggest?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes your Electrocompaniet ECI-6DS should suit the Focal Utopia Diablo speakers very well, but what worries me is that you say that your room is a little sonically bright because there is a chance the Focals may aggravate and increase this brightness to a point where it might become uncomfortable .

I agree with CNO that you should try other speakers too especially from PMC because there is a wonderful synergy between Electrocompaniet and PMC :)

I would recommend either PMC OB1i,s , PB1i's or maybe the PMC Fact 8 , there is also a new 3 way PMC Fact 12 being unveiled soon that is supposed to be outstandingly good and maybe worth the short wait .

Whatever you choose please try and listen at home because your room will be the deciding factor :) .

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- The match is quite good, though I prefer a Class A amp with the Diablos

- The Diablos are a signicant jump up the ladder.

- The Kef R series are also better, but are "sweeter".

- If spending that type of money, you should check out Kef Reference, which may still have the trade-in deal.

- You should also hear what PMC has to offer, as it's a good match.

iceman16

Electro

Any idea when will the PMC Fact 12 be release? Thanks.

To the OP.. Im also a bit worried about your room being bright which may lead to uncomfortable for long listening with Focals as the previous post have mentioned. I would suggest treating your room first and demo as much as you can in your own room before parting with cash. Some acoustic panels, bass traps, heavy curtains and rug wil help. The Focal diablos are fantastic speakers when partnered with the right source, amp and room size IMO.:)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Electro

Any idea when will the PMC Fact 12 be release? Thanks.

To the OP.. Im also a bit worried about your room being bright which may lead to uncomfortable for long listening with Focals as the previous post have mentioned. I would suggest treating your room first and demo as much as you can in your own room before parting with cash. Some acoustic panels, bass traps, heavy curtains and rug wil help. The Focal diablos are fantastic speakers when partnered with the right source, amp and room size IMO.:)

The Fact 12 will be unveiled at the Munich show in May . :)

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/events/munich-high-end-show-2013

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Thanks to all of you for your advice

I've looked at the PMC speakers on the net and they look very good. What Hi-Fi certainly seems to like them!!

I have one question. The PMC PBi speakers are 40 cm deep. In my system, this means that there rears will be only 20 cm from the front wall. Is this enough. Furthermore, the What Hi-Fi review states that they need space. My listening room is 4 x 8 metres but the speakers will be on the long wall. There is 60 cm from the front wall to the front of the speakers, 2.5 metres from the front of the speakers to the listening position and about 90cm from the listening position to the rear wall. In addition, the left hand speaker will be only 90 cm from the side wall. Is this enough space? My KEF XQ40s are fariy large speakers and I have not had any problems wth excess base from them.

Finally, do the PMCs work when they are played at low to moderate levels. As I live in an apartment, I can only really turn it up to 11 occasionally.

Thank you

Stormboy

Stormboy said:
Hi

Finally, do the PMCs work when they are played at low to moderate levels. As I live in an apartment, I can only really turn it up to 11 occasionally.

Thank you

Stormboy

Can't comment on the higher end PMCs, but certainly the DB1s and GBs are very competent at low-medium levels. General rule of thumb, IMHO, is if a speaker is fairly easy to drive eg. 87db and 6-8 ohms then it SHOULD be fine at lower volumes.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Stormboy said:
Hi

I've looked at the PMC speakers on the net and they look very good. What Hi-Fi certainly seems to like them!!

I have one question. The PMC PBi speakers are 40 cm deep. In my system, this means that there rears will be only 20 cm from the front wall. Is this enough. Furthermore, the What Hi-Fi review states that they need space. My listening room is 4 x 8 metres but the speakers will be on the long wall. There is 60 cm from the front wall to the front of the speakers, 2.5 metres from the front of the speakers to the listening position and about 90cm from the listening position to the rear wall. In addition, the left hand speaker will be only 90 cm from the side wall. Is this enough space? My KEF XQ40s are fariy large speakers and I have not had any problems wth excess base from them.

Thank you

Stormboy

I have found that the distance from the rear wall is less important than the distance from the side wall but 90cm from the side wall should be fine .

My room is about 5x 8 meters and my speakers are on the long wall and I have had no real problems that a bit of messing about has not cured .

One of PMC speakers greatest strengths is their ability to sound just as good at low volumes because their frequency response remains the same at all listening levels, this is improved even more by using an Electrocompaniet amp because they have this same strength, in fact I would say the combination is about as good as it gets for low listening levels .

The PB1i's will produce considerably deeper bass than the KEF's but because of the ATL design they produce a lot less bass distortion and do not seem to cause bass booming like some conventional speakers . :)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, with my frankly limited experience of Electro kit, I have heard them paired with PMC twenty.22 to great results. It sounded like "magic" and I won't bore you with details.....because you won't care about them once you hear the combo. If you can afford the floorstanding one, then its even better!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
shafesk said:
Hi, with my frankly limited experience of Electro kit, I have heard them paired with PMC twenty.22 to great results. It sounded like "magic" and I won't bore you with details.....because you won't care about them once you hear the combo. If you can afford the floorstanding one, then its even better!

Shafesk ,

You have described the combination of Electrocompaniet and PMC speakers perfectly. "Magic" :grin:

I just wish more people would try the combination so that they can hear that same magic for themselves :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts