Electricity effecting Hifi?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

How does the electricity supply to our house effects our hifi unit with regards to heat? I notice that my pre and power amps are much hotter physically in my new house compared to my previous house. At times, I cant even touch my power amp.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, just a thought, assuming that, as someone else suggested, the OP isn't running the system harder in new room/it's not in a location with less airflow/the weather's not warmer.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Unless the power in your new home is way way out of spec in terms of being over-voltage, it should have no effect at all.
Agree Andrew, but if that was the case then he wouldn,t have any light bulbs left.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all,

I think you guys hit the right answer.

1. The room in the new house is very airy and lots of space. Ventilation is good as well as all the amplification is on the top shelf of the rack. And of course in Malaysia, its summer all year round with a peak of 34 deg C.

2. I listen to similar volume level as prevous house.

2. Irregular voltage must be the culprit here. I have moved in for 3 months now and light bulbs are burnt every few weeks.

NOw I am not only worried about heat, but also of frying my amps if there is a power surge. I am using Belkin surge protector.

What do you suggest to overcome this problem?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
El Hefe:What do you suggest to overcome this problem?

Sounds like a conversation with your utility company (TNB?) is in order: not sure what the electricity supply regulations are in Malaysia, but if the power supply is so far out of spec that it's causing these problems, some work would seem to be required.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes you are right TNB is the national electricity company here in Malaysia. Sounds like you have been here.
emotion-1.gif

Unfortunately, the worst has happened. I was listening to my set up yesterday and I noticed that my right speaker was giving a cracking and distorted sound. I checked the interconnects between CDP and amp and also the speaker cables but everything was hooked up nicely. I turned off my right X-A50, and that was the culprit. Something must fried internally. I hooked up the links to my EPOS to just run from the X-A1 and the distorted sound has gone.

I switched off my whole set up and put the system to rest. Have to sort it out with TNB first before I run the set up again.

In the mean time, X-A50 have to be repaired. Or is it a good time to replace the whole amplification?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts