Electricity bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Better write to your MP on that one, Andrew.

My advice on keeping electricity bills to a minimum would be:
1) Choose the lowest cost elecricity supplier in your area.

and

2) Use as little electricity as possible.
Might seem complex but you can't go far wrong with this advice methinks.
jules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="chris lowe"]For the record I dont think global warming is anything we can stop, personally I feel its cyclic, ice age etc...........[/quote]

Exactly...
[/quote]

could not agree more. Even more convinced thats the case when i found out that of the total CO2 produced in the world each year, both man made and by the planet itself, only 0.4- 0.6% is from man. i just don't believe thats the cause of " global warming".

A

Anonymous

Personally, I've turned the central heating down at home.............

..........and we now just heat the living room with my Onkyo 875! :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chris lowe"]wind up torch then????
For the record I dont think global warming is anything we can stop, personally I feel its cyclic, ice age etc...........[/quote]

Let's all cyclic to work then, and then we can listen to hifi when we get home safe in the knowledge that we have done our best.

My equipment sounds better a few minutes after being switched on, but I made the decision that I can live with this if it off for 20 hours per day.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]when we get home safe[/quote] See how taking that out of context is also a true statement? That would be one way of reducing pollution, if more people got killed while riding bicycles.

A

Anonymous

Huges123, you say Surge Protection?

The One Click IntelliPlug and Panels offer Surge Protection and their Intelligent switch. Just ordered 2 of the smaller TV Plug versions to arrive, same as the 8 way Panels, but just offer 1 main socket and 2 spares, though having checked found out that I can actually add a 4 way extension, as long as I don't push more than 13amps through the whole setup. Not got a huge setup, but want LCD TV, DVD player and amp and video sender to switch off in lounge and Older Big TV, Digital Box and DVD player to switch off in other room. Won't connect my SKY HD as it is best left on (so I am told). Never ever switch em off at the wall, so hoping for a bit of a saving and less grief from the wife for leaving everything on!

Found 2 Plugs for £29 including delivery from here.

Will let you know how I get on!
emotion-2.gif

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Well I would just like to be bold if I may and say that I worked in the electronics industry for 20 years and have seen numerous instructions about leaving things on or turning things off.

I can tell you that I have seen many fires started by very different pieces of electronic equipment left on, things with power packs particularly are the worst!

I never leave anything on when I'm not in the house, and I certainly don't leave things on stand by. Things left on stand by still consume electricity, but more importantly electrical equipment of any type is not perfect, and can fail, a friend of mine had his house burnt down because there was a power cut, when the power came back on his video recorder caught fire because a component in the video's power supply blew out and started a fire, luckily no one was in the house at the time.

It is not for me to tell anyone what to do, decide for yourselves, but I trust nothing left on that is a potential fire hazard

This train of thought goes for my water heater, computer and router, mobile phone charger e.t.c, it all gets turned of at night.

if it gets hot, it could get even hotter.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tesler"] Well I would just like to be bold if I may and say that I worked in the electronics industry for 20 years and have seen numerous instructions about leaving things on or turning things off.

I can tell you that I have seen many fires started by very different pieces of electronic equipment left on, things with power packs particularly are the worst!

I never leave anything on when I'm not in the house, and I certainly don't leave things on stand by. Things left on stand by still consume electricity, but more importantly electrical equipment of any type is not perfect, and can fail, a friend of mine had his house burnt down because there was a power cut, when the power came back on his video recorder caught fire because a component in the video's power supply blew out and started a fire, luckily no one was in the house at the time.

It is not for me to tell anyone what to do, decide for yourselves, but I trust nothing left on that is a potential fire hazard

This train of thought goes for my water heater, computer and router, mobile phone charger e.t.c, it all gets turned of at night.

if it gets hot, it could get even hotter.[/quote]

I am 41, have left things on standby all my life, and will continue to do so. Apart from the things I simply leave on. And I challenge any higher power (sic) to set fire to my house...

I do however throw all my paper, cardboard, metal, plastic and glass away separately...and we dont have the bins!
(Its the law)

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi frog,

You are only 41, wish I was 41 again!

I also wish that I had never experienced an electrical fault during my life up to the age of 41. I have seen many things catch fire , usually down to component failure in power supplies. Please tell me you don't subscribe to the "Vanmanesque" attitude to electronics? Maybe my friend- who's house burnt down- should speak to you, and the two of you could discuss the pros and cons of leaving things on, he is a good listener you know,

By all means leave things on standby if you wish, I all ready said it is not up to me to to tell people what to do, I was only stating my own experiences in my life, I worked with electronics since Tv's were Black and white and had Valves inside, I was just stating that I don't trust anything to be left on, I've seen lots of faults occur that are potential fire risks.

Anyway if you want to leave things on standby, or even on all the time, its your house, and your electricity bill, and nobody's business except yours.p/>

Tes.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Tesler"]

a friend of mine had his house burnt down because there was a power cut, when the power came back on his video recorder caught fire because a component in the video's power supply blew out and started a fire, luckily no one was in the house at the time.

[/quote]

Was it a Samsung video? Mine caught fire and filled the room with acrid black smoke but we were saved by the smoke detector. It's the main reason why I won't buy Samsung.

A

Anonymous

Out of interest do some components take longer to warm up than others?

I'd have thought power amps take the longest?

jules.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice a couple of months ago......electricity bill has come down substantially ;)

.......drinks are on me ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts