Elac debut b5 for Marantz mcr603

robdmarsh

Hi everyone

I've just ordered Elac debut b5 to go with my Marantz mcr603 all in one. Richer sounds has them at way below rrp. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Any thoughts on this match, anyone?

Thanks

Rob

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, not the answer you are looking for but it always surprises me how many people post to say that they have just ordered such and such product and then ask people for comments on whether it is any good or not. I would listen FIRST and then ask the opinion of others. What if 10 people wrote that this or that item would sound terrible or this or that product is well below par, would that not influence YOUR impression of said item when you finally got to listen. I would much rather form my own opinion first!

Maybe you are just braver than I ..... :)

robdmarsh

Yes, all you say is very true but no chance to listen first unfortunately. I had to leave a deposit to even order them in. Anyway, it being that well-known retailer I can always return them if I don't like the sound.

Do you know the speakers?

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rob,

No sorry I don't know the speakers but I did google them and read a review and daresay they will be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I have bought lots of Hifi unheard, especially via ebay, that is not my point. All I was saying is that once I had ordered I would not ask for opinions until the item/s had arrived and I had heard them first. If I did want opinions it would only be before ordering (or possibly after they had arrived and in situ)! This is because I believe if you ask for the views of others before you have heard yourself, these views may colour your own impressions.

Hope they work out for you, no real harm done if not as you could always sell them on or return them.

Let us know what YOU think when they arrive :)

robdmarsh

Yes, good point. I'm intrigued by these speakers because some people are saying that they break new ground at this price point and that Andrew Jones (the designer) is a total genius and others are like ho, hum another OK budget speaker.

robdmarsh

I will however definitely let you know what I think of them and if they can match up to my beloved 25 year old Celestion 3 mkii.

It's really just curiousity that's making me do this as I love the sound of my old faithfuls so it's a bit of a pointless exercise. But I like pointless exercises in life!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Fair enough to take a punt at that price if you can give them back, but judging by the reviews, the fact that speaker reviews tend to be bang on the money, as most obvious sounding hi Fi component, I’d defo have a listen to the mission lx2. I’ve heard them and fab for the cash.

robdmarsh said:
Yes, good point. I'm intrigued by these speakers because some people are saying that they break new ground at this price point and that Andrew Jones (the designer) is a total genius and others are like ho, hum another OK budget speaker.
He has a fine reputation as does Elac. I heard one of the Debut models on its, er, debut, which I think was two years ago in the UK and it sounded great on a very expensive system. The intention was to show its capabilities.

WHF were less keen than some, and having raved about the Mission less than a year ago they just gave their budget award to a Dali. Fickle!

nopiano said:
robdmarsh said:
He has a fine reputation as does Elac. I heard one of the Debut models on its, er, debut, which I think was two years ago in the UK and it sounded great on a very expensive system. The intention was to show its capabilities.

WHF were less keen than some, and having raved about the Mission less than a year ago they just gave their budget award to a Dali. Fickle!

Fickle indeed. I heard the B6 when it first came out and was very impressed as were the majority of the other well-known hifi publications. Mr. Jones is indeed a very talented designer when it comes to speakers of all sizes.

robdmarsh

Oh wow! A lot has happened in the last few days. This is going to be quite a long post.

First and foremost, I think the Elac b5s are wonderful speakers. Straight off I could hear they had the kind of sound I was looking for - they were even-handed without being overly smooth and they had detail that drew you into the mix and this has got better and better. I've been playing them for about 8 hours a day for 6 days, on low volumes when I'm out. Tonally they are quite similar to my old Celestions but there is more separation in the imaging, a fuller mid-range and deeper bass. I'm getting a wider sound stage and the tweeters are beginning to sparkle without sounding shrill.

In no way do I think they are boxy or small-sounding as some have commented. I can hear what people mean when they talk about good timing, I think they are fast and agile. They can also rock and sound punchy (on about 40% volume), something I was worried about not getting as they have quite a low sensitivity of 85db and the Marantz mcr603 is not known for having masses of power. I think this must be down to their very careful design.

One thing I've noticed is that with the Celestions I was using the SDB to get the sound I wanted but with the Elacs this is not necessary with all but the thinnest recordings. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on CD sounded half-hearted with the Celestions but has come alive with the b5s. Pretty much all is sounding great (for my music tastes anyway): indie, acoustic rock, psychedelic rock, 60s stuff, even 30s and 40s jazz (I'm no headbanger! ). If you like a forward sound then these might not be for you - perhaps not for big hip-hop or dance fans.

Anyway, recently I noticed that a certain well-known retailer was selling their remaining Monitor Audio silver 1s for a massively discounted price and today curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on them (tracked down one of the very last available reasonably near to me). So, got them home, opened them up and was immediately impressed with their build quality and even packaging. Up on the stands after the Elac had just poured out their aural bliss on three of my current fave tracks and what do I hear? They sound like they're playing behind some pretty thick velvet curtains and that's being polite. OK, I know there's breaking-in to consider (even the hardcore variety of reverse polarising them and playing them face-to-face for 4 days, the Elacs sounded pretty decent right from the off) and I also know that these speakers might need more air behind them than I can give them (about 8 inches, but I have them well away from corners) but they're going to have to improve mightily to make me believe.

As for the Elacs, I'm with the camp that find them to be something special.

Oh, and that well-known retailer? They've got them for a silly low price!*ROFL*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
From my recent experience, I would concur that out of phase or missing tweeters will push the vocals to the back of the musical mix even on vocal intensive tracks. Now that you traced the problem to the missing tweeter links, let us know how you get on with your new speakers. Cheers :)

gasolin

Try to find this magazin august 2017, Q Acoustics 3020,m-audio bronze 1 or 2,elac b5 or 6,tannoy, dali spektor 1 as fare as i remember,tangent and misison lx-2

Spoiler mission lx-2 are the winner, dali spektor 2 are THE budget speaker according to whathifi, i don't belive that, dali zensor is a higher,bigger model, q acooustcis 3020 is better than most speakers, mission lx-2 are better than dali zensor 1,q acoustics 3020, eleac b5/6 ........ best small reasonable speaker is mission lx-2, i have had boston a25,q acoustics 3020,dali zensor 1 so i know a little about budget speakers (also have the q acoustics 2010i but i only use them for tv, so i can't really tell how they are used as a main everyday speaker)

My sugestion is ask to narrow it down to what you should look at (since you can't audition them before buying), read reviews, ask again,then buy what you want

152136.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts