eBay Shipping Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

alwatson:
I recently sold a D-SLR camera on eBay and within a couple of days of listing I got about 4 emails from people asking if I would ship to Italy. 1 email and I might not have checked, but after about 4 of them I thought I'd better check to see if there were any scams going around, and the problem with Italy was that it was really hard to get a door to door tracking courier service to certain parts. Most couriers hand over goods to Italian postal services or third party couriers, and there was no end of forums posts by people saying they had been done over by people claiming Item Not Received, and because they didn't had enough evidence, PayPal always rule in favour of the buyer.

After reading that I found a courier who would guarantee what I needed and quoted them that, and none of them bid.

This is very true and emphasises what I said about needing a guaranteed signature. If the delivery company confirms delivery and the buyer says they didn't receive it, Paypal will rule in favour of the buyer if you can't produce a signature.

A

Anonymous

alwatson:
I recently sold a D-SLR camera on eBay and within a couple of days of listing I got about 4 emails from people asking if I would ship to Italy. 1 email and I might not have checked, but after about 4 of them I thought I'd better check to see if there were any scams going around, and the problem with Italy was that it was really hard to get a door to door tracking courier service to certain parts. Most couriers hand over goods to Italian postal services or third party couriers, and there was no end of forums posts by people saying they had been done over by people claiming Item Not Received, and because they didn't had enough evidence, PayPal always rule in favour of the buyer.

After reading that I found a courier who would guarantee what I needed and quoted them that, and none of them bid.

Photography seems to be a problem area. I am currently selling my photo gear, and found out (only when I got paid), that Pay Pal will kindly not only charge me a fee but also make me wait 21 days before my money becomes available!!

Absolutely crazy, but despite joining ebay in 2000 and having 100% feedback (although under 100 sales/purchases), this is the way they treat you! I'm desperately trying to get my buyers to leave positive feedback as apparently this will release the payment.

Certainly have to consider trying something local like gumtree for the next sale.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
al7478:Indeed, lots of it is Ebays fault as theyre moving the goalposts to encourage a certain kind of seller. Mind, your wife sounds nearer to that kind of seller than i, and its not doing her much good.

still the best place to sell (and buy) ... you just have to factor the bad experiences into your sales ...

think that many powersellers are waiting for a large rival site to start up, but don't think any will be as good as ebay ...

a couple of years back, there were even petitions to Google and Richard Branston asking them to start up a rival site ... there were rumours that Google were considering, but nothing ever happened

Ebay are looking at operating the same as Amazon

I remember about 10 years ago Yahoo used to have an auction section. IMHO it was better than ebay and free to boot! It mysteriously shut down one day. Maybe ebay bought this division out or something??

A

Anonymous

Certainly have to consider trying something local like gumtree for the next sale.

gumtree is owned by ebay .... massive scams there ... only sell with collection only or uncrossed postal orders made out in your name and sent with recorded/signed for mail if the buyer needs the item shipped, ....

and only ship once you have the cash in hand ... sales are very slow on gumtree and cannot be compared to ebay

we found that the worst item to sell on ebay are mobile phones ... even if you list with buy it now's

when you list on ebay, you can set your preferences to paypal only ... those who do not have paypal cannot bid

matthewpiano

The buyer has more protection than the seller on Ebay and the fees, by the time you've paid Ebay and Paypal, are getting a bit high.

I would never agree to send anything abroad. It is just too much hassle. I prefer cash on collection but Ebay have made it impossible to specify this as a preferred payment method. I can't see myself selling much on there in the future.

T

the record spot

Did okay about a year ago, sold about 11 quite rare LPs, made £450 - correction, turnover was £450, deduct the 10% total (more or less) that Ebay and PayPal took (it's double dipping IMO - same damn company).

Got naffed off with a few people over time, but only blocked around 5 from bidding over the last five years or so. One guy had a right moan that I took an extra day or two to ship an amp out to him. I suggested if he wanted a service like Superfi's or Sevenoaks, that's maybe the place for him to go than having a pop at someone who's a private seller and doesn't have an army of people to call on. Well, an army of one...! He left good feedback in the end, but it soured things a bit. Duly blocked!

One Italian guy took three weeks to pay. This after having stuck in a last second bid, then promptly cleared off. My view is, if you bid in the last second and win, you can damn well cough up within a couple of minutes. He finally paid, I struck him off and he asked why he couldn't bid on another LP I was selling a bit later! Polite but firm email in return effectively explaining it.

Got a few things to sell just now, mostly some CDs/SACDs, but there's no way I'd go down the Ebay selling route full time if I could. Just too much hassle, expense and WAY too many numpties out there!

T

the record spot

georgejack:You would expect someone who buys £600 speakers to know about jumpers?

Not a chance. Seriously, I wouldn't take that as read at all. I'd assume the worst and then anything above that is a good return!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:And there was me feeling all calm...

Don't worry - they won't sell. They are grossly over-valued, sorry. If you have a BIN, also invite 'Best Offers'. People on E-Bay like to bid, not use BIN.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

T

the record spot

Not so sure about all that mate; I've been known to land a well priced BIN. Can't understand folk who open a bid for an item they could buy that's been set at a fiver or tenner more....

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Not so sure about all that mate; I've been known to land a well priced BIN. Can't understand folk who open a bid for an item they could buy that's been set at a fiver or tenner more....

There are ways and means of going about that..:)

A

Anonymous

someone's just asked me if i would ship a laptop to Slovenia, anyone have a view on if this is any more risky than anywhere else?

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:someone's just asked me if i would ship a laptop to Slovenia, anyone have a view on if this is any more risky than anywhere else?

I would not.

A

Anonymous

ValianTX:

fast eddie:someone's just asked me if i would ship a laptop to Slovenia, anyone have a view on if this is any more risky than anywhere else?

I would not.

I'd ask him to send a moneygram .... (you can get the cash from your post office or local moneygram office 5 minutes after he has sent it) ... it's like a money 'telegram'

once you have the cash in hand, post the item with tracking number ... he cannot do a chargeback on ebay ... if anything does go pear shaped, the worst that can happen is that you get a neg feedback .... but you will still have the cash

A

Anonymous

Lots of ebay activity it seems...

As you know I've moved on to a S5 mini-system, and it just happened that I sold last night my amp, stands and MA standmounters. All 3 going to foreign buyers. Hardly a coincidence. One thing: I had tons of watchers but only ended up with a few bids which I was a bit disappointed with. Lots of questions to answer that past week though.

I agree with dim_span's view of where ebay is going. It definitely is trying to become a "Marketplace" … la Amazon. Play is trying too and is still lagging. Ebay is really milking the cow big time by owning PayPal and also having very little competition on the auction sites front. My only regret is that I didn't try listing my kit on Gumtree before doing the ebay listings. At least it's still free to advertise and don't take any commissions.

Good luck JD with the sales. May I risk an "how come?" ?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Just a note on DHL services which have fantastic reputation and deservedly so but a quick google on DHL Domestic parcel services in USA,France and the UK (sold to Home Delivery Network very recently) plus other divisions would give an indication of consolidation within the group if I am allowed to state it as such.In such a state of flux I would verify the supply chain for this particular avenue if you were to use it.You are after all responsible for the delivery courier (normally).

A

Anonymous

dim_span:ValianTX:

I would not.

I'd ask him to send a moneygram .... (you can get the cash from your post office or local moneygram office 5 minutes after he has sent it) ... it's like a money 'telegram'

once you have the cash in hand, post the item with tracking number ... he cannot do a chargeback on ebay ... if anything does go pear shaped, the worst that can happen is that you get a neg feedback .... but you will still have the cash

Thanks D_S I've gone with this option..

A

Anonymous

alwatson:

Italy is a nightmare to deliver to, as well as problems with delivery companies there are also many prohibited items that will be confiscated if found

There is a list on USPS website here:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/il_008.htm

Toys not wholly made of wood ! Guess they dont like plastic tat.

Mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts