Dynavector 10x5

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Someone has loaned me a Dynavector 10x5 to try.........

Fitting was very straigtforward, a little bit of tweaking the tracking weight & bias and a quick phone call has seen me right. Running it at 2.0g (recommended 1.8-2.2g) Bias 1.0

Initial impressions are what I hoped - totally different to the Exact

A very open, transparent presentaion, more air around individual instruments - not a hint of brightness

Bass a little tauter

All in all very enjoyable, got the house to myself so going to go through a 'few' records

Love it!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Its getting better Andy!

So much clarity in vocals, more detail too!

Keith said it hadnt been used for a few years and MCs need a bit of break in!

Even with the Brio's phono stage it really is quite astonishing.

A

Anonymous

stevebrock said:
Its getting better Andy!

So much clarity in vocals, more detail too!

Even with the Brio's phono stage it really is quite astonishing.

So keep the brio and get a new cart?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

As you have found Steve , a few hrs to loosen up the little so and so up after its lonely life in my box of bits ,lol. This applies to MMs too.

Top tip for anyone really. Carts like a bit of warmth up their bottoms. Get one of those clip on lamp thingys and nail it on the edge of your TT shelf , aim it in the general direction and away ye go. More beneficial in winter mind.

I use two as the shadow given from using just one can make cueing a bit of a faff , well If you are blind like me it does.

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi stevebrock

I was very interested to hear your comments on the 10x5. I, too, have an RP6/Exact/Brio-R combination that I enjoy a great deal, but I know that I could better on the cartridge front. I ran an Ortofon 2M Blue on the RP6 for a while, but went back to the Exact because the 2M Blue, while having a more neutral tonal balance and larger sound stage than the Exact, lacked what I can only describe as "engagement". The Exact has more "balls" and is more "musical" than the Orotofon. In particular, I really like the sound of percussion and cymbals on the Exact (the latter seem to "float" above other instruments and cut through the mix). However, where the Exact is less than stellar (IMO) is with some modern recordings/pressings where the tonal balance is on the "warm" side - with that sort of source material the Exact can sound a bit "tubby", a little bass-heavy, and lacking in top-end crispness. I know that, on my system at least, the 2M Blue did a better job with those sorts of records.The problem with the 2M Blue is that it can sound "lean" and lacking in body a lot of the time. I guess it all comes down to system matching and component synergy.

So, what I'm really interested to know is whether the 2x5 is what I'm after. I think that I'm looking for something that has the "musicality" of the Exact and the accuracy of the Ortofon. I'd be interested to know what you think. Did you use a spacer to raise the tonearm?

Cheers
Bogester

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
As you know its impossible to demo carts!

I agree with you on the Exact - little bass heavy and lacking a bit of crispness on the highs.

Well the 10x5, in 'my' system adressed this, bass has tightened up a bit, its not 'brighter' but there is just so much air around instruments it seems to be very open & transparent.

I have been listening to it since 1 and I havent tired of it

Its very different to the Exact - is it better? In my 'system' yes it defiantely is better and I have been revisitng lots of LPs today

Bogester

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, steve, the 10x5 is definitely a contender for my next cartridge. But do you need a spacer under the tonearm to get the best out of it, or will it cope just fine without one? Another cartridge on my list is the Ortofon 2M Black. A number of reviews have suggested that it's a little warmer than the 2M Blue, so it might just be what I'm looking for. I'd be interested to hear from anyone running a 2M Black on an RP6 on whether they're a good match.

Cheers

Bogester

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
Hmmmm I'm torn between one of these or a Goldring 10xx now…

Having not heard either…

Guess both will be a huge upgrade from the 2M Red

definate upgrade matey!

But bear in mind the 10x5 is MC, however the Brio phono stage is doing it for me - sounds ace!

BTW JC are you bidding for my Rumour on the bay?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thats what I meant Keith

Kids are in garden in the pool, yep spinning vinyl, even Missus is impressed

10x5 ordered from Analogue Seducton - get yours back by the end of the week!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Thats what I meant Keith

Kids are in garden in the pool, yep spinning vinyl, even Missus is impressed

10x5 ordered from Analogue Seducton - get yours back by the end of the week!

Is it a 2 piece special now ? :rofl:

Its been a pleasure to help you out mate. Spirit of the wam on whatsahifi.

Oh is she ?. Blimey nows the time tae get at her ankles like a terrier , but in a nice way. Something along the lines of phono stage phono stage phono stage. Or when she is asleep tonight just keep whispering it in her lughole , it will sink in.

Then hey presto , she will buy a new handbag ,lol.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hang onto it until yer newbie turns up mate then you can do a straight swap. Then you start again because it will sound somewhat different for a few hrs.

Bonus is though , you have the settings that suit your lugholes . Jobs a good un.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Bogester said:
Thanks, steve, the 10x5 is definitely a contender for my next cartridge. But do you need a spacer under the tonearm to get the best out of it, or will it cope just fine without one? Another cartridge on my list is the Ortofon 2M Black. A number of reviews have suggested that it's a little warmer than the 2M Blue, so it might just be what I'm looking for. I'd be interested to hear from anyone running a 2M Black on an RP6 on whether they're a good match.

Cheers

Bogester

Ran an M2 Black in my modified P5 for a while, one was looking for a replcement for the M2 Blue. The Black is analitical to a falt, you want detail, crisp, tight, you will find it in the black . . . musical it aint, I soon lost interest. The 10x5 was next on the list, then I happend to run into the 'Pearwood Celibration Sumiko', the rest is history, as 'Floyd D' will confirm.

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Bogester said:

Cheers

Bogester

Ran an M2 Black in my modified P5 for a while, one was looking for a replcement for the M2 Blue. The Black is analitical to a falt, you want detail, crisp, tight, you will find it in the black . . . musical it aint, I soon lost interest. The 10x5 was next on the list, then I happend to run into the 'Pearwood Celibration Sumiko', the rest is history, as 'Floyd D' will confirm.

CJSF

Expensive game init!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Steve. Even though earlier I posted ' you have the settings' dont just bolt it on , 'as is'.

Go through the procedure from scratch. The new cart could be a slighly different weight and the supplied bolts will be so for sure.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Steve. Even though earlier I posted ' you have the settings' dont just bolt it on , 'as is'.

Go through the procedure from scratch. The new cart could be a slighly different weight and the supplied bolts will be so for sure.

Yeah i gathered as much, tolerance, compliance etc etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts