Bryston BP6 & 2bSST2 Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations Jaxwired... You're gonna be bad for my bank balance! Chris Pureka, Blind Pilot and Carrie Rodriguez on my hit list.

Agree about Joshua Radin, really disappointed in his latest release.

The Bryston gear sounds interesting, if I hadn't only bought my Sugden earlier this year, I'd prob give it a go.

All the best.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130's

A

Anonymous

is it the BP6 or the 2bsst2 that is giving you the sense of detail - have you tried the 2bsst2 with a different pre? Just interested as I like unforgiving detail and am considering buying the BP6! Incidentally I see you are using the Benchmark Dac which itself is No1 for accuracy and possibly accentuating this effect.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
anyone with ideas between my Parasound A21 and the bryston. Being Canadian even though I love my Parasound Ive always had the urge to try Bryston. I find my Parasound a little light which my be my Cyrus 8SE player to.

A

Anonymous

Great review. Personally I am a big Bryston fan. I purchased the BP26 some time ago and then ran into some financial strains with the economy. I am soon going to be in a position to buy a pair of 7B SST squared amps (can't wait) and retire the Bel Canto amps. I have never for one second regretted the Bryston BP26.

Really enjoyed reading your review. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after the amp has had a few hundred hours on it.

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
hi jaxwired

Many thanks for your valuable feedback. A deal is a deal, so here's the feedback you asked about my Dyn experience.

i chose the Dyn S1.4 as i wanted better bass reproduction but still a standmount. i had already a cyrus dac xp pre-amp, with a XTSE transport, no psxr, and 1 Xpower (run as stereo) . When i auditioned them, the dealer hooked it up to the Plinius 9200. It sounded very good. The only problem over here is that you can only audition speakers hooked up to the dealer's "house brand" . Each dealer usually carries only one or two amp brands. In this case, the Dyn dealer only sold Plinius amps. Neat was with Naim, KEF and PSB was with NAD and CA, and Cyrus is with Mission and B&W, Sugden with Spendor, and so forth.

Based on my auditions, and balanced with What hifi forum comments, and internet based info, i chose the Dyn. The sound was the best i heard. Unfortunately, i had already bought the Cyrus set up, thinking that i was going to get the B&W 805 subsequently, but changed my mind when i heard the Dyns.

Anyway, when matched, it sounded not as great as when i auditioned it. I found the bass boomy. I then saved and bought another X power and ran the Dyns on a mono-bloc set up. It sounded so much better. Then a mate sold me 2 PSXRs and i hooked them up to the Xpowers, it when to a new higher level. The bass was so controlled and the speakers really performed to my expectations and i honestly feel that it was better than the Plinius 9200 audition set up.

So, i concluded that the Dyns needed power, the more the better. Now, i love my Dyns. I hear a lot of jazz, and i find the overall sound great. The vocals are clear, the instruments properly separated, and the bass controlled. Most days the system is playing at minimum from 7am -10pm, at various volume levels, either from a CD or from my Sonos. So, i guess the Dyns have been properly burnt in. when i am off to work, my wife just switches to her music and it keeps playing. I guess we don't ever have listening fatigue.

I hope this "too lengthy" experience was useful to you> and thanks again for your Bryston review and opinion. I am hoping that a bryston set up will make my Dyns sing better.

cheers

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi WestCoast Fun

Just curious but why are you retiring your Bel Cantos? I read the Ref 1000 mono-blocs are great. And you do match it with the Bryston BDP 26. The ref 1000 are 1000W into 8 ohms. Hope you will share your views. Call me curious george.......

Cheers

A

Anonymous

WestCoastFun:Great review. Personally I am a big Bryston fan. I purchased the BP26 some time ago and then ran into some financial strains with the economy. I am soon going to be in a position to buy a pair of 7B SST squared amps (can't wait) and retire the Bel Canto amps. I have never for one second regretted the Bryston BP26.

Really enjoyed reading your review. I look forward to hearing your thoughts after the amp has had a few hundred hours on it.

Interesting. WestCoastFun, I'm using a similar setup to the one on your signature. I got Bryston BDA-1 and B&W 805S speakers. My power amp is a 2BSST.

I would agree that the bryston pre-amps are good. I went from using a Rotel 1068 as a pre in this setup, to using a Bryston BP20. It sounds great, not taking anything away from the Rotel, as is very good indeed. I'd love to get the BP26, is just too expensive for me.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Great review! I've always been impressed by Bryston amps - don't they also offer an amazing 10 or 20 year guarantee?

My dealer pairs them with PMC speakers and the combination sounds fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Dr Beat:
Hi WestCoast Fun

Just curious but why are you retiring your Bel Cantos? I read the Ref 1000 mono-blocs are great. And you do match it with the Bryston BDP 26. The ref 1000 are 1000W into 8 ohms. Hope you will share your views. Call me curious george.......

Cheers

Sorry about being slow getting back to you - I've been busy with work lately.

Actually the Bel Canto Ref 1000 are 500W into 8 ohms and 1000W into 4 ohms. I am very happy with them, and have been using them with my Monitor Audio GS 60's in the living room lately (The 805s are in my den). Business has been challenging over the past couple of years but is looking much better lately - so I am planning on buying a pair of B&W 802 Diamond's in the spring. I am convinced that the 7BSST's will be perfect for those speakers. The Bel Canto's will be retired to the den with the 805's. I will be needing a new pre when I do that and will likely consider another Bryston. That's why I found the review of the BP6 so interesting. I know it will sound great with the Bel Canto's and the 805's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts