• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Dynavector 10x5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
CJSF said:
The 10x5 was next on the list, then I happend to run into the 'Pearwood Celibration Sumiko', the rest is history, as 'Floyd D' will confirm.

CJSF
Indeed I can . Nice to see you lob a post up CJ. I still look around now and again for a Pearwood thats been twa**ed. Because if I find one you know exactly where its next port of call will be.
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
stevebrock said:
'Pearwood Celibration Sumiko'
How much? WTF? I better keep my feet on the ground!
Sorry Steve, its an 'arm and a leg' new, but find one that is worn out, a friendly dealer perhaps . . . ???? reimbers him for the trade-in he gave, have it re tiped at NW Analogue, you have a peach of a cartridge. Only problem is the MC step up required. I serched around and found an old MC transformer with veriable load. Takes time, patience and dedication I surpose :? . . . the 10x5 is a good'un.

CJSF
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
stevebrock said:
How much? WTF? I better keep my feet on the ground
Pah , a mere snip at the price Steve.

Check some of the Koetsus , not the cheap as chips Blacks go up the ladder. You can of course have one made to your own specs !!.

Soundsmith Strain Guage ( fully loaded ). Dont wet yer pants but its way over 5k in its base form alone.

Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. Erm roughly 9k to you Steve.

Gawd theres loads out there at stupid money mate. But theres a market and they sell em .

They all look the same bounced mind :grin:
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
stevebrock said:
So keep the brio and get a new cart?
Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)
You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
CJSF said:
stevebrock said:
So keep the brio and get a new cart?
Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)
You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF
No it is NOT!!! :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them. ;)

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

:cheers:
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,233
5
19,195
Synesthesia? Ideophonic? (Where's Andrew?)

You see a metal tweeter and the sound seems metallic. (And silk domes sound 'silky'.)

Valves are warm and they glow so the sound seems warm.

A cartridge body is carved from wood so the sound is 'organic'.

You can touch an LP so sound from vinyl is 'tangible'.

Just a thought.
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CJSF said:
stevebrock said:
So keep the brio and get a new cart?
Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)
You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF
No it is NOT!!! :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them. ;)

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

:cheers:
They will be after you as well HiFi Outlaw . . . herecy and treason, lock you up in the Tower and throw away the key, off with his head!!! :read:

or is that 'tin bath' every Friday night in front of the fire 'love them' . . . :rofl:

CJSF
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
chebby said:
Synesthesia? Ideophonic? (Where's Andrew?)

You see a metal tweeter and the sound seems metallic. (And silk domes sound 'silky'.)

Valves are warm and they glow so the sound seems warm.

A cartridge body is carved from wood so the sound is 'organic'.

You can touch an LP so sound from vinyl is 'tangible'.

Just a thought.
You little tinker ;)
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
stevebrock said:
Cables is cables FFS

Speakers/Amps/Carts are a different matter!
??? . . . all goes to make up the whole Steve, otherwise we might as well use 'bell wire' :doh:

CJSF
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
CJSF said:
stevebrock said:
Cables is cables FFS

Speakers/Amps/Carts are a different matter!
??? . . . all goes to make up the whole Steve, otherwise we might as well use 'bell wire' :doh:

CJSF
probabyl should of just said a nice thick quality OFC will be fine!
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
CJSF said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
CJSF said:
stevebrock said:
So keep the brio and get a new cart?
Amp on the back burner for minute

I have also gone back to copper speaker cable too, so much nicer sounding over Rumour (silver plate)
You be carfull what you say Steve, 'prefering copper cable' is herecy on here mate . . . :read:

CJSF
No it is NOT!!! :roll:

I've state some times that in my system didn't like silver cables, to bright! My Supra are cooper with tin bath and love them. ;)

You have to draw a line some where, and Steve is drawing his...

:cheers:
They will be after you as well HiFi Outlaw . . . herecy and treason, lock you up in the Tower and throw away the key, off with his head!!! :read:

or is that 'tin bath' every Friday night in front of the fire 'love them' . . . :rofl:

CJSF
I didn't quite got that bit... :?

:cheers:
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,725
147
19,870
stevebrock said:
Someone has loaned me a Dynavector 10x5 to try.........

Fitting was very straigtforward, a little bit of tweaking the tracking weight & bias and a quick phone call has seen me right. Running it at 2.0g (recommended 1.8-2.2g) Bias 1.0

Initial impressions are what I hoped - totally different to the Exact

A very open, transparent presentaion, more air around individual instruments - not a hint of brightness

Bass a little tauter

All in all very enjoyable, got the house to myself so going to go through a 'few' records

Love it!
Sounds really good....

What are you using to convert the Rega phono stage into a moving coil?
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
stevebrock said:
Cables is cables FFS

Speakers/Amps/Carts are a different matter!
Don't you go there... ;)

You broke the Rega sinergy by buying a Dynavector cart... ;) 8)

In a few months time you may change your opinion too regardering cables. :grin:

:cheers:
 

floyd droid

New member
Sep 5, 2008
39
0
0
plastic penguin said:
Never heard of that before. Are most MC high output?

Does that mean the cart has extraordinarily high MVs?
Nope a fair few coils have stupidly low outputs. A high output coil generaly is 2.5mv so you bolt into the MM phono et voila !.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS