Dynaudios - any advice?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Long time Kudos user and currently have a pair of Super 20's that are, frankly, sublime and as revealing a speaker as I have ever heard. For a long time I have (and do) love them.

However, recently I have upgraded my Linn kit to Akurate DSM paired with one of the Nord Hypex amps which really send some juice through the Kudos and bring the best out in them. However, with the 'upping' of the streamer and amp I just feel that their revealing nature is taking away a little, well, 'fun' from the music. When pushed they are a little clinical all the way and I never feel like they are really partying. They are revealing all the way bit the bottom end is sometimes found wanting.

So....I am about to demo a set of Dynaudio Excite X34 against the many reviews that I have read claiming that they do averything that the Kudos do and more in terms of bottom end and overall 'feel'. I will give them a listen but am not sure I am selling myself short - the Kudos were £4.5k and the Dyns are £2k.

Any views on them and how they perform? Are there others further up the Dyn chain that would be a more equal comparator?

Thanks.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Paulq said:
Long time Kudos user and currently have a pair of Super 20's that are, frankly, sublime and as revealing a speaker as I have ever heard. For a long time I have (and do) love them.

However, recently I have upgraded my Linn kit to Akurate DSM paired with one of the Nord Hypex amps which really send some juice through the Kudos and bring the best out in them. However, with the 'upping' of the streamer and amp I just feel that their revealing nature is taking away a little, well, 'fun' from the music. When pushed they are a little clinical all the way and I never feel like they are really partying. They are revealing all the way bit the bottom end is sometimes found wanting.

So....I am about to demo a set of Dynaudio Excite X34 against the many reviews that I have read claiming that they do averything that the Kudos do and more in terms of bottom end and overall 'feel'. I will give them a listen but am not sure I am selling myself short - the Kudos were £4.5k and the Dyns are £2k.

Any views on them and how they perform? Are there others further up the Dyn chain that would be a more equal comparator?

Thanks.
forget excite line,it will be downgrade ,you need something from contour or confidence lines.New dynaudio contour speaker are on their way to HiFi shops.You can find good deals on contour LE editions,shops offering very good prices

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
In my experience PMC have way more fun factor than Dynaudio and could be worth looking at. I recently moved from Dynaudio Focus 160s to PMC twenty21s. Despite being cheaper the PMCs are better in every way. Bass is leaner no doubt but far more detailed. As you'd be looking at floor standers the bass leanness should not be an issue. PMC twenty 24s could be had a discount due to the new twentyfive series coming out. Picked up my 21s for £900.

Rimse said:
Paulq said:

Thanks.
forget excite line,it will be downgrade ,you need something from contour or confidence lines.New dynaudio contour speaker are on their way to HiFi shops.You can find good deals on contour LE editions,shops offering very good prices

I'd agree with above. Try to audition whatever you can, it is quite often the case that cheaper, less analytical, speakers can give the bottom end response you require. Always play with positioning as well. Subtle changes can lead to quite different response.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
After a bit more reading the above sounds like good advice - I wasn't sure about Dynaudio's product hierarchy but agree that Excite would probably be a backward step for me. I like the look of the Contour S 3.4 LE and that gets good reviews so I am gonna try and listen to that.

Thanks also for the wrap on PMC. I have tried them in the past when I bought the Kudos and, frankly, they just weren't for me at all. The others I plan to take a look at are ProAc I think.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
All the Class D amps that I've heard have been a bit clinical (for my taste), especially if matched with speakers with a similar trait......but there are speakers that can work well with this. My choice would be Kef Ref 1s (if in budget). You could also try Sonus Faber, Harbeth, Opera, Diapason and Spendor.,

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
LE editions offering better bass definition with more punch compared to older versions,more vibrant midrange which sounds great with classical orchestral music and famous sweet highs.Overall impresion big ,warm and lush punchy sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts