Dynaudio XEO3, AVI ADM9T(2) or other actives?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm doubting anyone has compared the Dynaudio XEO3 with the AVI ADM9 (any version from 9.1 to T2) yet, but in case they have, I'd love to hear their thoughts on how the 2 compare. I'm likely to go for one of the two.

My other option is to get any other pair of actives and pair with my Benchmark DAC1 (this is not the ideal option as my DAC1 doesn't have a remote).

BTW, I really enjoyed reading WHF's take on the XEO3. Such a shame they didn't have the ADM9.1 on hand to compare it to.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I forgot to add that any other comments or opinions are welcome (even if you haven't compared the two models). Suggestions for other active options are also welcome.

Thanks!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We'll be hearing the Xeos on Monday. It'll be interesting to hear if they sound like Dynaudios...

I look forward to reading your impression on them. I hope they are a touch more exciting (no pun intended) than some of Dynaudios other offerings.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
My other option is to get any other pair of actives and pair with my Benchmark DAC1 (this is not the ideal option as my DAC1 doesn't have a remote).

A remote is not essential, it depends on your source. I control my volume digitally via the software.

Regarding your speaker choices, it will be quite difficult to hear the two side by side, but if you went for the ADMs you could move on your DAC to release funds.

Regarding looks, the BM5A and BM6A monitors don't look too industrial as alternatives. A word of warning though, if you have small children, you might want to consider speakers with grills to protect the drivers. The tweeter domes look so tempting to just poke with sticky fingers and the bars that semi protect them are great for home made Christmas decorations to hang from. :O

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ajani said:

A remote is not essential, it depends on your source. I control my volume digitally via the software.

Regarding your speaker choices, it will be quite difficult to hear the two side by side, but if you went for the ADMs you could move on your DAC to release funds.

Regarding looks, the BM5A and BM6A monitors don't look too industrial as alternatives. A word of warning though, if you have small children, you might want to consider speakers with grills to protect the drivers. The tweeter domes look so tempting to just poke with sticky fingers and the bars that semi protect them are great for home made Christmas decorations to hang from. :O

ooooh. I hadn't thought about the lack of grills on pro models. That will be an issue after the baby is born. I guess that pretty much rules out pro speakers.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You'll be good until the toddler stage, but then.......

bass drivers can be played like a drum, bass ports are also inviting places for things like torches and crayons to be stowed (forgotten about). CD trays are great handholds for stability purposes and biscuits and crisps can be made to fit with only minor force, the CDs themselves, make good sliding tray things, particularly on tiled floors. On/off buttons, if pressed quickly enough, make nice flashing light displays. Basically, endless fun for the inquisitive mind.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:

bass drivers can be played like a drum, bass ports are also inviting places for things like torches and crayons to be stowed (forgotten about). CD trays are great handholds for stability purposes and biscuits and crisps can be made to fit with only minor force, the CDs themselves, make good sliding tray things, particularly on tiled floors. On/off buttons, if pressed quickly enough, make nice flashing light displays. Basically, endless fun for the inquisitive mind.

lol. sad but true. Thank God I ditched my CD collection years ago in facvour of lossless files. So at least I have one less variable to worry about...

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ajani said:
Overdose said:

lol. sad but true. Thank God I ditched my CD collection years ago in facvour of lossless files. So at least I have one less variable to worry about...

That is until you find your child making your hard drive into a boat!!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Ajani said:
Overdose said:

That is until you find your child making your hard drive into a boat!!

Thankfully I have about 4 different backup USB drives locked away.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We'll be hearing the Xeos on Monday. It'll be interesting to hear if they sound like Dynaudios...

In my experience active Dynaudio monitors have the same 'family sound' as their passive speakers. The actives are a little bit clearer and the bass is tighter controlled but there's not a big difference between them.

T

the record spot

And do, if you get the chance, check out some of the very good Genelec actives - prices start from around £500 a pair and all the way up...heard a couple of theirs in recent years and was very impressed.
small-logo.png

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm leaning heavily towards the XEO 3. I won't be able to audition any of the options before buying (unless I take a plane somwhere for vacation).

The advantage of the ADM9 is that it supports full high res music. While the XEO 3 is limited to CD resolution. However, since I own no high res music and am unlikely to develop an awesome high res collection overnight that advantage is purely academic.

The advantage of the XEO 3 (other than being wireless and looking a lot nicer IMO) is that it has deeper bass. the +/- 3db at 48hz of the XEO 3 should be sufficient for me to enjoy my music. The -6db at 60hz rating for the ADM9 seems woefully inadequate for use without a sub. Adding the matching sub would just about double the price (so well over budget) and trying to find a cheaper sub to match the ADM9s, kind of defeats the whole purpose of a carefuly tuned all in one system.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
They seem like an elegant solution and if they sound anything like my BM5As (a bit of an assumption), I think that you'll be very happy.

Actually, I hope they sound a good bit better than the BM5A. That's not meant to be a knock against the BM5A, but since the XEO3 are more than double the price of the BM5A, if they don't sound better then I'll be paying a heavy premium for a remote and less wires.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
Overdose said:
They seem like an elegant solution and if they sound anything like my BM5As (a bit of an assumption), I think that you'll be very happy.

Actually, I hope they sound a good bit better than the BM5A. That's not meant to be a knock against the BM5A, but since the XEO3 are more than double the price of the BM5A, if they don't sound better then I'll be paying a heavy premium for a remote and less wires.

It would be a very interesting comparison. But there is definitely a premium on "Hi-fi" speakers over pro-audio, so I would imagine differences would be less than you'd imagine. The BM5A compare well to the 110A actives apparently.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
Ajani said:
Overdose said:

It would be a very interesting comparison. But there is definitely a premium on "Hi-fi" speakers over pro-audio, so I would imagine differences would be less than you'd imagine. The BM5A compare well to the 110A actives apparently.

The 110A are currently on sale for about midway between the price of the BM5A and the XEO 3 (I wouldn't go for them since I find the treble of the 110 passives to be a bit too rolled off for my tastes).

Another option for a bit less that the XEO 3 would be to combine the BM5A with the Peacthree Audio Nova Pre (remote controlled DAC and Preamp). But then I'm stuck without grills and the aesthetics of that combo is questionable at best. But I think that would be a fun comparison: XEO 3 vs BM5A & Nova Pre or Benchmark DAC1.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:

Don't underestimate the price of the hifi and 'new tech' premium. You will be paying a fair bit more for this new and 'inovative' product.

Also the BM5As (MkII being the latest model) are about £830 a pair, so rather more than half the price of the XEO 3, not that price is necessarily a determining factor for quality mind you. You can also consider active speakers to sound different to the passive couterpart, certainly I would not consider the BM5As to have a rolled off treble, but frequency adjustments are possible on the back panel anyway, for minor adjustments to suit the room.

Have you heard the BM5As, or did you make an assumption based on prices?

Also, unless I have my prices wrong, the 110A, which is probably closer to the BM5A in terms of design is much more expensive than the XEO 3, at around £1700, so the XEO 3s sit between the two in terms of price, nevertheless, the BM5As don't have grills and are aesthetically challenging to some.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ajani said:

Don't underestimate the price of the hifi and 'new tech' premium. You will be paying a fair bit more for this new and 'inovative' product.

Also the BM5As (MkII being the latest model) are about £830 a pair, so rather more than half the price of the XEO 3, not that price is necessarily a determining factor for quality mind you. You can also consider active speakers to sound different to the passive couterpart, certainly I would not consider the BM5As to have a rolled off treble, but frequency adjustments are possible on the back panel anyway, for minor adjustments to suit the room.

Have you heard the BM5As, or did you make an assumption based on prices?

I'm closer to the US than the UK (so I'd be buying from the US). In the US, the BM5A sells for $1000 and the XEO 3 goes for $2300. So the BM5A is less than half the price. The X12 (the passive speaker on which the XEO 3 is based) goes for $1200 - So 20% more than the BM5A.

I have no idea whether the XEO would actually sound better than the BM5A (have not heard either yet), but I hope that the XEO will. Of course the real question is whether the XEO sounds better than the BM5A + my Benchmark DAC1.

One of the main reason Dynaudio actives got my attention in the first place, is because Benchmark recommends (and sells) a combo of the DAC1 and BM5A. So I know the combo has good synergy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just had a listen to both Dynaudio models, and they're really rather good. They're tighter and more positive than Dynaudio's passive models (but that was to be expected), and given that the active ones are only about £400 more than the passive Excites, puts them in a good position. Nice and open, clear, precise, punchy, and not heavy or overblown in the bass. I was listening without the port bungs, so can be tightened up further. Nice, simple set up too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts