Dynaudio Excite X14: Listening Fatigue?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

Passive speakers are the best since you can fine tune it with cables internerconnects,speaker cable, what you use under or on the amp,what amp you use,dac........... I feel 50 watt is not enought with dynaudios, go for no less than Marantz PM8005,Nad C356BEE, mabye Cambridge CXA 80, if sound quality is more important then spl mabye try the nad D 3020 (small size,bluetooth,built in dac,good sound, stereophile rates the D 3020 in a very high "soundquality" class)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Passive speakers are the best since you can fine tune it with cables internerconnects,speaker cable, what you use under or on the amp,what amp you use,dac........... I feel 50 watt is not enought with dynaudios, go for no less than Marantz PM8005,Nad C356BEE, mabye Cambridge CXA 80, if sound quality is more important then spl mabye try the nad D 3020 (small size,bluetooth,built in dac,good sound, stereophile rates the D 3020 in a very high "soundquality" class)

Tino, if you new to hifi the above advice is a dealer/ magazine heaven.. endless upgrades bug, cables bullsh!t and so on.. do not follow this route.. I think - for you - mentioned active Xeo or Excite or Lyd range of speakers is the way to go..

just recently myself and fellow forum member we compared £1500 active speaker system with £3500 amp and £1200 passive speakers and actives were vastly better and cheaper.. think about it.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Why do they make the xeo 4's if it's the same as the excite 14a?

Or the opposite, why do they make the excite 14a when they have the xeo 4?

Only because of the wireless option?

gasolin, you could ask that question Dynaudio customer service.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:
...Passive speakers are the best since you can fine tune it with cables internerconnects,speaker cable...

Better still, dispense with the speaker cables.....or was your comment supposed to be irony?

gasolin said:
........... I feel 50 watt is not enought with dynaudios, go for no less than Marantz PM8005,Nad C356BEE, mabye Cambridge CXA 80, ...

Indeed, that's why there's 100 watts onboard (2x 50 watts, one for each driver, directly connected), rather than the 80 watts of the albeit competent amps you suggest, being pushed through speaker cables and a passive crossover, before being divided to serve both drivers.

z

gasolin

gowiththeflow said:
gasolin said:
...Passive speakers are the best since you can fine tune it with cables internerconnects,speaker cable...

Better still, dispense with the speaker cables.....or was your comment supposed to be irony?

gasolin said:
........... I feel 50 watt is not enought with dynaudios, go for no less than Marantz PM8005,Nad C356BEE, mabye Cambridge CXA 80, ...

Indeed, that's why there's 100 watts onboard (2x 50 watts, one for each driver, directly connected), rather than the 80 watts of the albeit competent amps you suggest, being pushed through speaker cables and a passive crossover, before being divided to serve both drivers.

z

2x50 watt each speaker is not as powerfull as 2x100watt for both speakers

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
gasolin said:

Are you referring to the PM8005? The manufacturers claimed spec is 100 watts per channel at 4ohm (70 x2 watts at 8 ohm). What are they measuring? You could equally say that Dynaudio's claimed spec for the Xeo 4 is the 50+50 (total 100) watt per channel, but that's not actually the case because it doesn't work like that. It's like comparing Apples and Pears.

It's useless getting into petty arguments about manufacturers clamed power ratings and trying to interpret what measure they are claiming. In this case, Dynaudio have matched individual amps to each driver in each speaker (4x50 watts in total, but that's largely irrelevant). I wouldn't have thought there was any advantage for them to underspecify those amps.

The question should be, what amp can tease out a sufficiently improved result from the X14, over that from the active versions of the same speaker; and if it can (it's entirely possible), at what additional cost?

I suspect that if such a pairing is arrived at, the increased total price might justify a change of tack and upgrading to a better speaker instead.

z

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
Why do they make the xeo 4's if it's the same as the excite 14a?

Or the opposite, why do they make the excite 14a when they have the xeo 4?

Only because of the wireless option?
Wireless, connectivity, because people have preamps, and because HiFi purists tend to be well behind where the world is going.

I auditioned both the Xeo 4 and the 2, by the way, for a proposed second system. The Xeo 2 has Bluetooth in addition to wireless, so all you need to do is twin with your phone. For the size, the sound they produce is excellent, in fact, it's hard to think of a passive system that comes close at the price, 1200€. The bass is clean, if not super deep, which is what you'd expect for the size, mids similarly balanced as too is the treble. An added advantage is that you can tune it to its position in your room. I was really impressed.

The 4s have improved bass, but otherwise much of the same. They don't do bluetooth, but use the hub, so multi-room is a snap. The Xeo 2 can also be used in a multi-room installation, but you won't be able to use bluetooth, you'll need the hub.

My feeling is that, if you're buying new, the Xeo range is a better option than the excite 14a.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
gowiththeflow said:
gasolin said:

gasolin said:

z

hi gasolin.. to understand fundamental difference between passive and active system please check this short video

https://youtu.be/Hwnd6GgS0qY

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
gasolin said:
gowiththeflow said:
gasolin said:

gasolin said:

z

hi gasolin.. to understand fundamental difference between passive and active system please check this short video

https://youtu.be/Hwnd6GgS0qY

Those bods at PMC haven't a clue, passive over active any day at of the week... i've read it endlessly on the WTF forum! ;-)

Also if the OP is going passive and thinking of an amp upgrade down the line he needn't spend upwards of £2300 as suggested ellsewhere on this thread HP states he could have the same upgrade benefit for little over £100. Blimey all this misleading advice. ;-)

Tongue now removed from cheek.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts