Dynaudio 2/6 with NAD C356bee harsh!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

kevinJ said:
Isn't that Technics a class A amp? 30watts tops I believe. (I had a folder about it 15 years or more ago, when I was looking for my first real hifi set)

What you might be experiencing is the change of sound over the years. Most "older" electronics were (very) warm sounding, because people always wanted a warm sound. The last 10 to 15 years, there's been a shift to more neutral to even bright sounding electronics.

Have you auditioned a valve amp? That might just be what you're looking for.

That is correct, a class A amp. And even if it is just 35w its actually produce alot power to the sound of my dynaudios.

The salesman person agreed that he also thinks that NAD can be shrill in the top end sometimes. And that I maybe prefer a more warmer, laidback sound. The only he could think of producing this sound is probably Marantz he said. As they stretch more for the old tube and warmer sound in their amps. They dont sell marantz at this place so I have to look for another and try them out.

Otherwise I think maybe that my dyns are wuite to attacking in the treble.

I have heard good sound without harshness in hi fi shops before, so I dont think it should be impossible to find this in the end :)

A

Anonymous

Today I heard some Dali Zensor 5 with denon and it was a nice combination with less hard treble.

(also heard it against the more expensive ikon floorstander that was a lot more harsh on the ears, and worse for my taste)

If im not getting my dyns to work maybe this would be better (Zensors) :)

As I told before in one of my posts I also heard this NAD with different B&Ws in the shop with different cables and CDs as source and it was even worse or as shrill as my experience at home. So I really think this is a NAD problem for me. I know people always think different. Im not saying NAD is a bright amp, its dark, But I just think the highest top of the treble is edgy for me.

Vortex160

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I used a nad t748 with canton bookshelves , the result was a massive increase in bass but things did sound quite harsh and i ended up returning it , weird..it might be the nad is not suited for fabric dome tweeters ..Now im reluctant to get nad for my ma rx6 even though they have metal domes ...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
This is a very interesting thread. When I read Nad and Dynaudio I expected to hear that the sound was like a glass of warm milk (good for putting you to sleep). The last thing I'd expected was for such a combo to be harsh. My old NAD C352 was boring IMO. As were the Dynaudio Focus speakers I auditioned. So I wrongly stereotyped all NAD and Dynaudio as having a very polite (rolled off) treble.

The problem may be one or both of the items. What amp was driving the Dyn's when you first auditioned them? That might be the one to buy.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
1. Is the system runned in?

2. what music do you listen to (bad rec.?)

3. how is your acoustic?

4. maybe you could take your system to a local shop

A

Anonymous

Hello again!

I have a small update. My room is quite big, 30 square metres. The acoustics is neither good or bad.

I listen to some spotify material as other material and I have tried different sources.

Update: I borrowed the Marantz pm7004 this weekend.

MUCH nicer than the NAD. Less power though. It has alot smoother and warmer sound to it and is a enjoyable listen. However. My old 35 watts Technics amp gives more punch to the sound. And even if the Marantz give a smooth sound to the music, the treble is quite edgy on some notes (as my old amp, but a lot less than NAD). Its not bad, but Im not totally satisfied.

The Marantz PM 7004 is a great musical amplifier compared to the NAD (in my ears ofcourse).

I could buy this one actually. It gives me a good sound. However I think I would feel a bit wanting for something even better after I bought it.

Maybe the Dyns isnt for me really. Cause it feels that I have tried the amps that people say is lean. I have not really decided what to do in this sutuation. Maybe trying another speaker as reference. But I like my Dynaudios except for the treble som Im not givin up yet!

A

Anonymous

I need to say my current c356bee has more treble then my old c325bee, and also sounds less warm! I got some focals and as known they need a warm sounding amp. I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem.

A

Anonymous

Yes. Never heard this amp pleasing for my ears. Its very powerful though.

An update on this thread:

I have now changed my dynaudio 2/6s for B&W 685s and Im very pleased with the result. Having tried three different amps for my dynaudios (dissapointed) I borrowed home the B&Ws and away was the annoying treble (that the NAD made alot worse).

Im much more enjoying music now with my B&Ws and find them to have more detail in the treble at the same time being less sharp in the ears.

The dynaudio treble didnt go as high and was annoying at some frequencies that made it hard to listen too. Female vocals hurted in my head...

I know dynaudio 2/6 can play well but I think you need to spend ALOT more money for an amp to drive them properly than for the B&Ws thats much more easy. (Marantz pm7004 was the least tiring experience I tried and best)

With B&W 685 I get a more detalied exciting treble thats less hard on the ears, it has more resolution to it.

The instruments has more chest to them and everything just sounds bigger and more interesting. I always get surprised!

Bass is a bit weak but this is something that will improve when I buy my next amp.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If your Dynaudio 2/6 or B&W spk have biwire connectors, you can try to connect cable from amp to bass connectors and then bridge these with a resistor ( 0,5 Ohm, or so- you have to try) to the connectors for the highs... crazy and original idea!But for me is very strange your experience with Dyns: perhaps are not the high freq. hurting you, but the mid-high in the human-female range, say 1000- 4000 hz... Only my impressions with my old B&W and B&W 684 in store (rock and Jazz):
Yam AS 500: very open sound , great horizontal image stage, but with too present high freq., for me; bass good only with loudness in, not very ergonomic remote and front commands; very, very easy to mark with fingers on the front (incredible!);
Nad 316: good bass, but not at low volume; medium-high freq. a little bit confuse; very ergonomic and nice.
Marantz 6004: more liquid and natural medium freq.; bass enough, but you can add something at low volume with loudness, not possible with Nad;
built like a tank in Japan, with golden input/output, smart and nice remote, that I found can drive my 20 years old CD Philips too!some reviews:
MARANTZ - PM 6004
Bancs d'essai
I'd like to hear others impressions about Nad 326 and Marantz 6004 differences, thanks.__________________

A

Anonymous

I use my dynaudios with my Rega Brio r. And Rega Dac and I am very happy with the sound. To my ears the music sounds just right. Unlike the harsh Tannoy v4s I had before. Well worth a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts