Dynamic Range & The 24 Bit Audio Myth

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
He's pretty much spot on to be fair.

EDIT: sad to see the comments are dotted here and there with various detractors claiming he's either deaf or otherwise doesn't know what he's talking about. But that's par for the course.

EDIT EDIT: hve felt for many years that Sony and Philips sort of shot the industry in the foot with red book CD. CD really is an audio standard which doesn't need to be bettered as a distribution medium for digital audio. Three decades later, an industry which only survives by inventing new better stuff to sell to us has dug itself a hole because we don't need better than a 36 year old standard.

Some say DSD changes the landscape. I don't know if that's true or hype, but I do know that honestly I can't tell the difference between an original source and a top quality 16/44 PCM recording of the same, so I doubt I'd notice any difference that DSD brings to the table.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The only thing mudding the issue is sometimes you have to buy these so called hi res files in order to get your hands on the best sounding digital masters. Bit annoying, but it isn't going to change any time soon.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir when your got a minute you might find this video of interest https://youtu.be/xbLcRrNfdvs

Its basically a 4 part video reviewing the Yamaha A-S1100 right though to looking at all of the components inside what they do and then testing the spec of the amplifier.... I mean a proper test I basically found out only a little bit of class A is used in a class A/B amplifier and the rest is mostly class B .

back on topic

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir when your got a minute you might find this video of interest https://youtu.be/xbLcRrNfdvs

Its basically a 4 part video reviewing the Yamaha A-S1100 right though to looking at all of the components inside what they do and then testing the spec of the amplifier.... I mean a proper test I basically found out only a little bit of class A is used in a class A/B amplifier and the rest is mostly class B .

back on topic

Yeah. Every class AB amp does few mW first in class A. That's why the amp gets a bit warm even when idle. Thx for the vid. I like these type of vids a lot.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

back on topic

Yeah. Every class AB amp does few mW first in class A. That's why the amp gets a bit warm even when idle. Thx for the vid. I like these type of vids a lot.
there are 4 parts to watch that’s what I’ve watched tonight as it’s a bit quite on here today but I thought you would be interested .

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Take also in consideration that many of us are aged around 50 or something. Our hearing also damaged by a few (long ago?) concerts? For most of us 'lossy formats' will even do.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rethep said:
Take also in consideration that many of us are aged around 50 or something. Our hearing also damaged by a few (long ago?) concerts? For most of us 'lossy formats' will even do.

Not necessarily. HF hearing may diminish but hearing, especially through mid frequencies apparently gets better. To do with learning as well as hearing. (Latest edition HifiNews&RR).

My high frequency hearing is clearly compromised these days but I like to think I can distinguish between lossy and lossless. It may not be night and day but certainly enough to warrant a Tidal HiFi subscription as compared to Spotify.

I don't dabble in higher resolution so can't comment but based on Paul Miller's very enlightening measurements of commercial recordings in the aforementioned publication, all is clearly not always what it seems ... . On the other hand, much is and if done properly, makes good use of the digital media.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have always know this, well most who produce music. I made mention of this year's ago on here. 24bit only makes sense for dynamic headroom when producing and mixing. Nothing new to me.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I have always know this, well most who produce music. I made mention of this year's ago on here. 24bit only makes sense for dynamic headroom when producing and mixing. Nothing new to me.

An analogy I always use for those who don't have production background knowledge: it's like how your maths teacher always told you to do your mid-sum calculations several DP greater than the final answer required to minimize the rounding errors. At its nuts and bolts, digital audio is just numbers, so it's quite relevant.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Some high res music does sound better but i think its the mastering and usually older music where they dont have every track/channel turned up to 11

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts