Dying or dead features from the past

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Which reminds me:-

The Garrard Zero 100 turntable. It had a rod attached to a pivoting headshell to keep the offset correct across the whole record (in theory anyway). Never seen the like of it since.

After a frantic bit of Googling, I have dug up that my father owned a Garrard Laboratory Series Type A.......which can be found doing its thing on youtube - amazing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It was the quality from the likes of Nakamichi, along with the advent of chrome tapes, that sounded its death knell.
They were certainly some factors. But bigger still, I'd say, was that not enough audiophiles wanted a competing cartridge-based system which probably still didn't sound as good as their open-reel, while the 'chattering masses' were perfectly happy with the size, convenience and sound of Compact Cassette.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CnoEvil said:
It was the quality from the likes of Nakamichi, along with the advent of chrome tapes, that sounded its death knell.
They were certainly some factors. But bigger still, I'd say, was that not enough audiophiles wanted a competing cartridge-based system which probably still didn't sound as good as their open-reel, while the 'chattering masses' were perfectly happy with the size, convenience and sound of Compact Cassette.

More than likely. What I didn't know, is that there was a portable version known as the EL-D8 (along with normal models of EL- 4;5;7 and D9)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts