dvd v bluray

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just bought my first bd player. i have an extensive dvd collection approx 500 discs. will i see a massive difference in picture quality if i replace my favourites with bluray or does the the upscaled dvd pretty much do it. i know the hd sound will be better.

sony s350, dennon 1909.kef 2005

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd focus on key films rather than a total replacement of all your DVDs. Start with your faves or the ones that are classed as 'must see at the cinema'.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi sjared10,

Quick answer is possibly.

Many factors come into the equation - if it was a great transfer to BD then you will see a difference but if the studio has not taken the time and care to ensure the greatest PQ then you may not see a big enough difference to feel satisfied.

What I tend to do is rent a copy first and see if the image improves enough to justify the outlay. If it does improve enough, in your opinion, then buy the BD version. If not, keep your original copy to play.

Sound should certainly be a marked improvement if you have the means to decode the new formats. Note improvement does not mean louder. Again this is a long story but is spoken of in another forum on here - title is something about the Dark Knight sound being better in DD than TrueHD.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Tricky one this one - my take on this so far is I would only consider replacing the films that I either love or one where the increased definition in picture and sound would be worth it. Even then, I am generally looking at reviews for the Blu-Ray version of the film. If this gets a good write-up on picture and sound, I will then generally rent the film first on Blu-Ray through my Lovefilm subscription. If I really think it is worth the upgrade, then I will buy, so long as I can find it at a reasonable price.

Suffice to say, the majority of purchases on Blu-Ray have been films I don't own on DVD, though there have been a few I've upgraded.

EDIT - good to see I'm not the only one who takes the time out on this!!

EDITED by Mods for house rules violations.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
To be there is a huge difference, even with high end DVD spinners and a medium priced Bluray Player like the PS3. The PS3 and Bluray in general is really that good.

I would only upgrade to BD versions of your favourites or classics otherwise it could be a very costly exercise. I have a fair few BD and HDDVD and have upgraded to the HD versions of my favourites and blockbusters that really take advantage of HD visuals and sound. Not all BD are that much of step forward, e.g. some of the Harry Potter films were hardly better than an upscaled DVD in my opinion but they were cheap and not my taste anyway.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I agree with whats been said so far, best to rent or borrow to see if its worth a purchase, unless you see a bargain of course. HMV have a preorder for X-Men 1,2,3 on blu-ray for £9.99 so i ordered that although not out until 21-4-09 that would be a steal. So far iv'e managed to get Spiderman trilogy for £15 and Matrix trilogy for £15 also Starship troopers trilogy for £17.95, i consider these to be good buy's as i will play them many times. I find sometimes shops have silly preorder prices where you can get a bargain, or look for 2 for £20 at Asda or 3 for 2 at Play or Amazon. Just shop around and you can pick them up for the same price as new released dvd's. As for pq and sound Spiderman much more depth and hd sound, Matrix was good as well but Starship troopers no improvement at all. Most blockbuster titles will be a little more and wont yet feature in the 3 for 2 section so be patient and rent them pick them up when they do drop, same with xbox games and ps3 currently paying £17.99-19.99 for big titles like res 2 and little big planet, along with many 360 games, friends fret when i tell them what i paid.

A

Anonymous

To be honest, i think renting films first is a good idea if you are not sure, even though i don't do this myself.However, i don't think that i have replaced any of my normal dvds to blue-ray, and i doubt i will. For me, blu-ray, although perhaps not as good as it could be due to movie transfers, is a great leap forward for movie fans, like me. The only down side is i'm now poorer than i was after having to buy all the audo equipment to capture the best in sound and vision- well a guy has to have some vice in life!

A

Anonymous

Yes i agree with the point about The Dark Knight being better sound in Dolby Digital than Dolby True HD for me DD was a lot clearer and i didnt think that would be the case.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
dazb:Yes i agree with the point about The Dark Knight being better sound in Dolby Digital than Dolby True HD for me DD was a lot clearer and i didnt think that would be the case.

I don't think that was what he meant, but never mind!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm making an effort not to re buy films yet, until my faves get re-released on decent special editions or they become cheap. I got stung a few times with multiple dips. As I've only had BD a day or so I'm just looking forward to all the great new releases. I don't have a HD tv yet but didn't want to get new films on DVD only the regret it in 6-12 months time when I upgrade to HD. I have a HD audio amp so hopefully will hear a difference and have something to look forward to from a visual point of view. That is if I can get my BD/amp sorted, but that is another thread.

A

Anonymous

dood id just get new films on bluray and wait until prices drop before you replace your dvd collection. iv seen some dodgy blurays as well, rise of the silver surfer i swear had a lot of screen noise.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
darkside82:iv seen some dodgy blurays as well, rise of the silver surfer i swear had a lot of screen noise.
I'd check your TVs calibration settings - Rise of the Silver Surfer had an excellent picture on my screen - up there with the best. Of course the film wasn't a classic, but as enjoyable as the first one I thought in terms of just a fun film without substance (well there is Alba of course...).
Now Gears of New York on the other hand. Well, let's just say I'm waiting for the re-mastered Special Edition on that one!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:darkside82:iv seen some dodgy blurays as well, rise of the silver surfer i swear had a lot of screen noise.
I'd check your TVs calibration settings - Rise of the Silver Surfer had an excellent picture on my screen - up there with the best. Of course the film wasn't a classic, but as enjoyable as the first one I thought in terms of just a fun film without substance (well there is Alba of course...).
Now Gears of New York on the other hand. Well, let's just say I'm waiting for the re-mastered Special Edition on that one!

nowt wrong there mate maybe a previous firmware update fixed the issue, i watched it ages ago and have watched many blurays since which have been fine, the issue i had was background scenerey i.e the sky and ground in the lighter coloured scenes dark scenes were good and so was definition just the overall package left me dissapointed. there is also an onscreen menu which you can reduce onscreen noise (ps3, hit triangle) which only comes up for dvd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts