Dual 505 upgrade?

robb1

Dec 23, 2019
Visit site
I'm using an old Dual 505 turntable with quite a new Ortofon OM5E cartridge, Marantz CD6006, Quad 44/405 and Rogers LS2 speakers. Would I notice any significant improvement if I upgraded to a modern turntable, say a Rega Planar 3/Elys 2? Alternatively, would modern speakers be a better upgrade?

abacus

Speakers will give you the biggest change.
The 505 was a quality turntable that had a suspended sub chassis rather than the fixed version of the Rega, if you are thinking of upgrading your cartridge then the flexibility of the Rega will be worthwhile, otherwise stick with what you have.

Bill

Reactions: Al ears

robb1

Dec 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts Bill/abacus & Al ears.
Any suggestions as to which speakers and cartridge might be suitable? I’d like not to spend more than a grand.
I listen to a wide range of music including jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rob.

abacus

Everybody has their own preference of what sounds good, so you will need to go to a dealer and listen to a few within your price range, as that is the only way you can be sure that they will suit your ears.

Bill

As suggested above for speakers not so easy to audition cartridges. Personally I have no time for the cheaper Ortofons, the sound just isn't for me. You'll need to decide your budget for the cartridge in relation to the speakers bearing in mind it's influence over the rest of your system.

mr_baker644

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
A 505 is a lovely TT. I serviced one for somebody years ago and seem to remember there being a proprietary headshell fitted which won't accept a wide range of cartridges. If I'm wrong, then I would recommend pairing it up with a Nagaoka MP110 at around £100.

I'd also recommend servicing the Dual if it hasn't been done at all / in a while. If you're confident in that area, you could do it yourself. It's very straightforward.

If the cartridge issue is correct, then something like a Rega P3 would certainly be a step up in performance. I was fortunate to hear the 505 alongside an RP1 with the same cartridge and the Dual had more character - other than that it was very close. So that should give you a flavour of what a P3 with superior cartridge should be like in terms of improvement.

Good luck!

Last edited:

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Take your dual to your local Rega dealer and do an A/B comparison, ring them of course and book the appointment! You'll be pleasantly surprised the Rega arm and cartridge is far superior to the Dual offerings.

Reactions: robb1

robb1

Dec 23, 2019
Visit site
Take your dual to your local Rega dealer and do an A/B comparison, ring them of course and book the appointment! You'll be pleasantly surprised the Rega arm and cartridge is far superior to the Dual offerings.
Thanks for that tip djh. We we get out of this Corona lockdown...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts