DT 770 80 Ohm sound quality sacrifice against 990 250 Ohm

coo1guy

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
You may think this question has already been answered a hundred times, but I couldn't find a decent answer, because these two models are generally considered too different to be directly compared.

I'm hesitating between the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm and the 990 Pro 250 Ohm
I know the sound quality would be superior with the 990 250 Ohm, especially the soundstage.
But, if I don't want to cope with some aspects of the 990 (open back, coiled cable, required amp), I'm wondering how much of a sacrifice I would make by going for the 770 80 Ohm in strict terms of sound quality.
Would it be just a little less amazing, half as good, etc?
I'm mostly listening to minimal techno, house, pop, not much rock, no classical music.
If I go for the 990 250 Ohm, I would only use it at home with an amp; if I go for the 770 80 Ohm, I would use it everywhere without an amp.

Thanks

Gray

If I go for the 990 250 Ohm, I would only use it at home with an amp; if I go for the 770 80 Ohm, I would use it everywhere without an amp.
Then I'd say it depends on which use case suits you best.
I doubt either one would only be half as good as the other.
You know what some people would do - order them both with an easy return option, then return the least favoured model.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
There is not a difference in quality as such between those headphones. More a difference in presentation due to the differences between closed back and open back.

The 250 ohm will be harder to drive then the 80 ohm, so if you want to use them with phones and tablets etc, get the 80 ohm DT 770.

For your music tastes I think the 770 will be the best suited out of the two anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts