DSD and SACD

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I would like to open this forum and listen your opinions regarding DSD files and SACD format.

My two cents are that I like how SACD discs sounds so DSD is an improvement on my system. I have been using a basic sacd player with linn and pentatone discs for a few months on a basic player and I will continue buying hybrid SACDs when I have the option. However real sacd players are very expensive and it seems that there are some troubles with the laser units. The solution seems to stream DSD files but I preffer to buy High Res audio with a physical format.

What are your experiences with DSD and SACD?

iMark

I bought my first player, a Pioneer DV565 back in 2003. It could play both SACD and DVD-Audio. It still works but is now in the attic because it doesn't have HDMI and I never bothered buying component cables to work with the TV we bought in 2012.

Together with the TV we bought a Sony BDP-590 because it also plays SACD. Since 2012 I haven't listened to any of our (limited number) of DVD-A's but we do like it as a player for Bluray Audio and SACD.

Today however we bought a new Sony UHP-H1 player. It's as universal as it gets (except for UHD Blurays for which we don't have a TV anyway.) I have just plugged it and the first impressions are great. Really smooth sound with SACD's. I simply use the analogue stereo out to connect to our (also) new Yamaha R-N602.

I haven't tried any DSD files on a USB stick yet. I may give that a go. If anyone can recommend a good source for DSD files, please let me know. Although I prefer Hybrid SACD's because of the convenience to rip the CD layer in iTunes so I can listen to the album on my iPod Nano.

The BDP-590 will go to the bedroom. It will replace an even older Panasonic Bluray player that is hopeless for apps and networking options. It doesn't even do Netflix.

LongliveCD

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Dear iMark,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I also like hybrid SACD's for the option to rip the cd layer and/or play it on CD players. Actually at this moment I don't have a SACD player but I would like to have the possibility to rip the High Resolution files or play it on a reasonable priced SACD player.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Couple of options for you to have a think about.

I use an Oppo player which can play or stream any disc or file I have in my possession. These players also have a good reputation for reliability.

If you want to try a few tracks and see how it compares between DSD and other formats, try this page for a couple of interesting freebies:

www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

iMark

LongliveCD said:
Dear iMark,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I also like hybrid SACD's for the option to rip the cd layer and/or play it on CD players. Actually at this moment I don't have a SACD player but I would like to have the possibility to rip the High Resolution files or play it on a reasonable priced SACD player.

Ripping SACD is complicated because there are hardly any drives that can do it. The most reasonable player I know of is a Sony Bluray Player, the BDP-S7200. If you want a first try, this might be a good one to start with. However, it doesn't have analague stereo outputs.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps7200/sony-bdps7200-blk

However, there is the option to split the HDMI signal by installing an HDMI splitter. You will get stereo audio from an SACD if you use one. Here's an example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-Neoteck-Optical-Converter-Splitter-DAC-x/dp/B01GH4MEYC/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1483996450&sr=1-22&keywords=hdmi+splitter

If you're looking for a cheaper option with analogue outputs you could look at a second hand Sony BDP-S790 or S590. Or even older Pioneer or Denon universal DVD players if it's just to connect to a stereo.

Current Bluray players with analogue (stereo) outputs are becoming very rare. The Sony UHP-H1 which we bought on Saturday has got stereo out. It's a very good player and SACD, Bluray Audio and DVD-A sound excellent. In a more expensive league there are the Oppo's. And then there are still some CD/SACD players made by Marantz, Denon, Yamaha and a few more manufacturers. But they're not cheap options.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I've got a second-hand Marantz SACD player (SA8400) and several DSD-capable DACs.

The SACD player I bought primarily to have a better CD player, but also to play around with a few hybrid SACD's I'd received as a gift. Surprisingly, the SACD player seemed to improve playback of normal CDs as well. This may be due to the effect of newness, as since it appears to have subsided. SACDs sound wonderful, but again after a while the differences become less notable, surely because of some psychological effect. Either I'm becoming used to the sound or conversely the first impression was only because I was seeing a new toy. Anyway, I'm still in favor of SACD as a format. Although I'm not solely buying SACDs, I do give any editions special attention when I see them around in my CD shop or online.

I've also bought a number of DSD tracks, mainly from NativeDSD and Primephonic. These I find impressive in clarity and detail, and I prefer them to normal CD quality FLAC. Compared to hi-res FLAC (for example several Linn records editions) I find it harder to spot any difference. Still I find this a valuable addition to the possibilities of music playback. To me the main drawback of DSD is the enormous size of the files. But do they sound sweet...

One thing I should note: the Marantz has a few hiccups. The tray needs a little push to open up. Furthermore SACDs sometimes are not recognised or read correctly. This is apparently a common occurence, I'm considering opening it up as I've read that this could be due to loose screw that causes misalignment of the laser.

audiventory

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
SACD use 2.8 MHz sample rate. I don't stumbled 5.6 MHz for it.

2.8 MHz's quality by noise level may be almost same PCM 24 bit.

Media files (DSF, DFF) may use sample rates 5.6, 11.2, 22.5 and above MHz.

5.6 MHz placed approximatelly between PCM 24 and 32 bit.

11.2 and above MHz's noise level about limits of float point formats of PCM.

Of course, these results depend on modulator, demodulator and method of measurements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts