Driving made easy - a speaker query.

Hopefully not a daft question but which of the two speaker specifications listed below would be the easiest drive for a lowish power valve amp.

Speaker 1. Listed as Sensitivity 91dB / Impedence 4 ohm
Speaker 2. Listed as Sensitivity 88dB / Impedence 8 ohm

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as sensitivity is concerned, speaker one will sound twice as loud as speaker 2 for the same given volume. With the impedance, speaker 1 needs a more stable amplifier. It's not all cut and dried though, as there's many variables.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Buy some ARTs they thrive on low power single enders ;) . A must have on the amp are 4 and 8 ohm taps *. Then you can play around. BTW i dont do tecky talk so dont go there mate.

* and damn good transformers.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The lower the ohm reading, the greater the power but the amp will start to sweat! Don't forget 0 ohms is a straight short circuit.

Higher quality amps will be able to run 4 ohm loads without stressing too much. Go for a cheap amp which isn't designed for such heavy work, you could theoretically melt the solder off the PCB.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Al ring Jordan Accoustics on monday and speak with Paul. Have a chat , tell him what you are after, budget whathaveyou and he will no doubt send a dem pair down if he has them in the shop. If not i suspect Ramsey at ART will have that particular speaker in the workshop. Where are you based Al ?.

floyd droid said:
Al ring Jordan Accoustics on monday and speak with Paul. Have a chat , tell him what you are after, budget whathaveyou and he will no doubt send a dem pair down if he has them in the shop. If not i suspect Ramsey at ART will have that particular speaker in the workshop. Where are you based Al ?.

Based in sunny South Wales!.............with few good dealers around unfortunately.

Ah! You are in a hi-fi wasteland as well eh? Will speak to Paul when I get back home (working away to earn a crust at the moment). Tell me do you think ART speakers would work OK fairly close to a wall? Its a smallish room I'm currently using at present and cannot find info regards porting on these speakers.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Yip Arts work fine close up to a wall. They are pretty much chuck em down with minimal toe in and slap a slab on your deck, then sit back and listen. You will find it a long trawl finding info on tinterweb regarding ARTs. Derek and Ramsay dont do mag reviews on their speakers, no need to, they sell by reputation/ word of mouth etc etc. Unlikely that you will find a bad word said about them.

Hi-fi wasteland eh. You betcha,i'm way down the road from you, over a bridge and into 6 finger territory, me luvver.

Tah! I'm originally from Plymouth myself so i know what you mean. Been this side of the water for 15 years.
I notice ART are in Ayrshire...not a million miles from where i am at present funnily enough!
Will give them a call and see which speaker they would recommend to suit my system / room.
I quite like the look of / description of the Modern 8's actually.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Yip indeedy they are at Troon, just around the corner from my cousin which sucks !!. Mate of mine got the 8s a few weeks ago, he loves em. Ive got the 10s had them a while now , serious air shifters and sound lovely,although on saying that im having them tweaked soon with a different crossover and the top o the range Seas Crescendo tweeter and the dedicated mid from the Deco 20s. Interim wallet crunching while i sell a kidney for the Deco 20 sigs. Man they are a bit special to say the least. Shame you aint still over the bridge as you could have come down armed with a bag of nappies for a listen. :grin:

Pretty sure we still have some nappies stuffed away somwhere! Wouldn't take me long to get down. Let me know what the mods sound like when they are done.
Were the tweaks suggested by them or something you thought to do?
Looked at the 10's and thought they may be a tad too big for my listening area but will talk to the boys first.
Lurve the Deco 20's......probably worth that kidney!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Will do regs the mods when i get around to it,im laying out some serious moolah on the hoose at the min, that sucks anaw. The 10s are big boys in the flesh thats for sure but my room swallows them no probs.

The 20s are deffo worth a kidney and a digit or two. Ive spent a fair few hrs in the company of those babies drying my hair.

Have you got your eyes on a valve amp then ?.

Yes indeed. When I can get enough cash together. I am fortunate to live pretty close to Tom Evans Audio (next valley over and down a bit). He probuces some serious products and I'm after one of his Linear A amps to complete an all Tom Evans system. Try a quick google if you have not heard of them. He has recently converted an amp to power amp for me (see sig.) to use in the meantime. Current speakers should be OK with it but am tempted to get some suitable floorstanders instead at some stage this year hence my initial post as had my eye on a speaker with the 91dB spec.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Im aware of Tom Evans and his microgroove / mastergroove stuff but havn't treated my lugs to any of it. Great gear by all accounts mind. His Linear A @25wpc is a mahoosive output ;) More than double my 300b se , lol. Nice that you can pop down to see him and no doubt save some hard earned by going direct. Good stuff mate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts