Down to Earth WiiM Amp review

Tinman1952

I think his speaker choices were a bit odd....not really the market for this product! Small bookshelves and probably nearfield listening...not his cavernous room. Plus messing about with PEQ can easily cause clipping when turned up to 11.....🙄 One comment asked if he may have got a faulty unit....and got a right snotty reply from his missus! That wonky HDMI port suggests it may have been a pre-production unit to me.....

Reactions: Gray and DougK1

podknocker

Looks terrible with the wonky HDMI port and the coaxials are not labelled. The production versions do have L and R but are the wrong way round. L is always white and R is always red, but not on this amp. Very strange.

I always look for neat and tidy ports/sockets etc. It is a reliable measure of production methods. If things are not lined up properly, it shows a lack of QC and it always puts me off a brand if they don't correct things like this.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I think his speaker choices were a bit odd....not really the market for this product! Small bookshelves and probably nearfield listening...not his cavernous room. Plus messing about with PEQ can easily cause clipping when turned up to 11.....🙄 One comment asked if he may have got a faulty unit....and got a right snotty reply from his missus! That wonky HDMI port suggests it may have been a pre-production unit to me.....
I think the point being, he was using the most efficient speakers he had at his disposal and the amp was still struggling with dynamics. Bearing in mind that the 102DB speaker had a supposed 60w on tap, they can be driven with a 5 watt headphone amp, to truly antisocial levels with headroom to spare. Doesn't bode well for tiny inefficient "budget" standmounts which seem to be the likely pairing. I think you can understand his view point,

He seems well versed with EQing, it seems to be his background. But yeah can cause many problems if not done correctly.

The missus is the moderator on the comments section and with such a hyped product has probably had a skin full from the brand loyalists.

At the end of the day it's a tiny box with a tiny power supply built by the cheapest bidder. It probably costs more in shipping and packaging than it does to make the dam thing. Im not really surprised

But thoroughly understand your point.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’ve sold my brother on this with some little speakers like Q 3010i to upgrade from Bluetooth turntable & Sonos speaker.

Super excited to get him listening to music how it’s meant to be heard, and for less than £500.

daytona600

This amp + pair of small speakers , All the system 99% of the planet needs for 300quid
Try buying one , factory cant make enough of them
Used one for a few months
For the 1% If they added a high spec power stage 100/200wpc Class D or AB for $500/1500
would scare the pants of Traditional Hifi companies from a company no one had heard of 6months ago

Last edited:

manicm

This reviewer tests in a much more real-world (more UK realistic) environment.

Yes, but he also states caveats that imply by spending more you get more:

'It’s important to put a little bit of context into the overall level of performance here because I don’t wish to oversell it but I do need to try and contextualise it. If you connect a Pro+ to a Rega Io and use that combination into the same speakers, the performance is better. Despite being down on power, the Rega has better bass and it does a better job of creating a soundstage around the recording. It also keeps its composure better at higher volume, staying civilised at the point where the Wiim Amp is hardening up slightly.'

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Agreed that for £300 you can't go (too far) wrong.

Rumour has it that a higher WPC WiiM Amp will be released this year ... although may be an installer only product. Per the WiiM forum.
for 300 quid id take NAD 316bee (preowned can be found for a 100 quid) and add Wim mini for an extra 100 and have a far far more capable system that can grow with you and will drive pretty much any speaker at pretty much any level you wish.

The Wim just doesnt offer value in my eyes if the reviewer is to believed.

podknocker

On paper, the Wiim amp spec is very appealing, considering the £299 price, but I still feel uneasy about the quality control and the lack of attention to detail. Even the production models seem to be labelled incorrectly and I think they rushed this product and many have found it lacking. Some reviews mention misaligned sockets, there is some inconsistency with the coaxial socket designations and I've also read this thing makes enough noise to be annoying and distracting. I think we need a 2nd revision of this model, just to tidy it up a bit. If this happens and it proves to be reliable, then I think it will take a huge slice of the streaming amp pie. It makes you wonder why big names can't do this for a similar cost.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
On paper, the Wiim amp spec is very appealing, considering the £299 price, but I still feel uneasy about the quality control and the lack of attention to detail. Even the production models seem to be labelled incorrectly and I think they rushed this product and many have found it lacking. Some reviews mention misaligned sockets, there is some inconsistency with the coaxial socket designations and I've also read this thing makes enough noise to be annoying and distracting. I think we need a 2nd revision of this model, just to tidy it up a bit. If this happens and it proves to be reliable, then I think it will take a huge slice of the streaming amp pie. It makes you wonder why big names can't do this for a similar cost.
one word, marketing

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
It makes you wonder why big names can't do this for a similar cost.
It's a classic example of Disruptive Innovation.

Hold tight and please read on for a brilliant example of being mansplained...

Thanks to classic Economics, pretty much every business is focused on increasing two things: spend per customer, and profit margin. Selling more products to existing customers isn't always feasible (how many pairs of hifi speakers does one household need?), and more importantly it's not improving the margin. So the natural step is to introduce more expensive products with better margins and get your customer to upgrade. (There is of course another option of reducing operating costs, but that's usually an outcome of the disruption, rather than a strategy - except in the last two decades where it was trendy to hire an accountant as your CEO.)

All eyes in the company are on those juicy margins - happy boardroom/shareholders, and probably better bonuses all round. You'd be crazy to look at your entry level offerings, there lies no bonus.

While no one is watching, a new company enters the market with a similar entry level product that's cheaper to produce (small company, low overheads, or tech advances leading to lower production costs). They eat up all of those entry level customers that the incumbent has been ignoring because they aren't going to buy your daughter the pony she wants.

Small company gets bigger. And the cycle continues.

Reactions: Gray and DougK1

Gray

It's a classic example of Disruptive Innovation.

Hold tight and please read on for a brilliant example of being mansplained...

Thanks to classic Economics, pretty much every business is focused on increasing two things: spend per customer, and profit margin. Selling more products to existing customers isn't always feasible (how many pairs of hifi speakers does one household need?), and more importantly it's not improving the margin. So the natural step is to introduce more expensive products with better margins and get your customer to upgrade. (There is of course another option of reducing operating costs, but that's usually an outcome of the disruption, rather than a strategy - except in the last two decades where it was trendy to hire an accountant as your CEO.)

All eyes in the company are on those juicy margins - happy boardroom/shareholders, and probably better bonuses all round. You'd be crazy to look at your entry level offerings, there lies no bonus.

While no one is watching, a new company enters the market with a similar entry level product that's cheaper to produce (small company, low overheads, or tech advances leading to lower production costs). They eat up all of those entry level customers that the incumbent has been ignoring because they aren't going to buy your daughter the pony she wants.

Small company gets bigger. And the cycle continues.
Does your daughter like her pony Revo?

DCarmi

All eyes in the company are on those juicy margins
Indeed. Google almost had both Disruptive Innovation and First Mover Advantage with their CCA. Sold well but big Google could not work out how to turn the product into a money-spinner, despite having its own music platform.

Amazon did manage it with the Kindle because they built a platform in their eBook market. The device itself is fairly inconsequential. Az are happy for people to use the free app for phone or PC etc, just as long as you buy books. The Kindle device just drives book sales.

Wiim are slightly different, in that they started with a cheap and marketable device where there was a gap and then released upgraded devices for the discerning customer. Their problem is what next? The amp takes them into territory where there already is considerable competition.

For a little bit more I could get a Denon N11, with radio, cd and streaming or just get a good amp and plug in a Wiim mini.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts