Down the Rabbit Hole...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadders

Perhaps he is worried about getting a rubbish review... :)
Hi,
Not really. There is no magic in Hifi engineering as some manufacturers will have you think. There is a limit to the supposedly continuous improvement.

I recall the DIY speaker design by Dave Berriman in Hifi News in the 1990's. There was no discernible difference to those speakers engineered or produced commercially.

I would say, that the subjective review which placed the speaker less favourably than an equivalent commercial speaker, was expected. DIY speakers give you an exceedigly high performance when compared to a commercial offering for the same money spent. Better cabinet, drivers and crossover components.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Hi,
Not really. There is no magic in Hifi engineering as some manufacturers will gave you think. There is a limit to the supposedly continuous improvement.

I recall the DIY speaker design by Dave Berriman in Hifi News in the 1990's. There was no discernible difference to those speakers engineered or produced commercially.

I would say, that the subjective review which placed the speaker less favourably than an equivalent commercial speaker, was expected. DIY speakers give you an exceedigly high performance when compared to a commercial offering for the same money spent. Better cabinet, drivers and crossover components.

Regards,
Shadders.
This is very true. I have been tempted by some DIY speaker kits which offer tremendous value.
Plus my power amp is based on a John Linsley Hood design published in Wireless World in 1969...and sounds superb!

Reactions: shadders

manicm

All I can recommend is buying one that doesn't have to be returned to China for repairs...... Dacmagic 200M it is then.... :)

Oh you think so? My recent experience tells me that no matter the location of distributorship, the service can still be disastrous.

And if parts - read boards, as nobody even highly skilled technicians will do soldering - need to be replaced they'll still have to come from point of manufacture.

I've experienced absolutely inane, yes inane, levels of service. One from the appointed repairer of the world's biggest gaming laptop manufacturer, the other from the appointed distributor of Denon and others.

Luckily, in both cases, I just wanted said equipment checked, but they're fine.

manicm

Do you have otherwise?
Perhaps it would be an idea to start a new thread if you feel the need to do so as this one is pretty ancient.

You're being disingenuous, especially since you brought the topic up here. That's a pretty big accusation to level against WHF. They admit they mostly review equipment that companies agree to hand over for review, and occasionally purchase themselves.

But do all of them make the best of list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts