Does wall paper help with reverb mitigation

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all...

This post might be the after effects of too much snake oil soup for supper.

Iam considering getting a wall paper on the wall behind my listening couch. I really don't know if iam having too much reverb in my room. But was wondering if anyone experienced a change in their sound after using a wall paper.

Iam planning on going for the thickest wall paper I can lay my hands on. But almost all of them are close to the same thickness.

Any advise would be most welcome...or atleast have a laugh :D

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Instead of wallpaper, you might try hanging up something like a tapestry or contemporary fabric wall hanging. I’ve found that even closing the curtains can make a difference to how a room sounds.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
it's the thickness that matters needs to be about an inch think to start having any real effect.

You can get nice looking panels these days that can be made to look decorative.

You can simply test your reverb clap your hands and see how long until the sound is gone

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
it's the thickness that matters needs to be about an inch think to start having any real effect.

You can simply test your reverb clap your hands and see how long until the sound is gone

The clap does seem to take a while to dissipate. But again iam not too sure, as it's not exactly a echo :)

A inch thick is quite a lot. Will see what I can find. Because covering a full 17 feet living room wall with panels is asking for divorce :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I should think cork wallpaper would have some effect. There are also various lining papers you can add such as: https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-wallrock-fibreliner-wallpaper-white-1000mm-x-20m/1506P?tc=TT7&ds_kid=92700022647639377

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
ellisdj said:

The clap does seem to take a while to dissipate. But again iam not too sure, as it's not exactly a echo :)

A inch thick is quite a lot. Will see what I can find. Because covering a full 17 feet living room wall with panels is asking for divorce :)

Flutter echo ( reverb ) is horrible and destroys imaging and soundstage , also can make the music sound harsh, rough and tiring to listen to .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=699K_u1SZqw

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
If living in a normal Home................ never mind about the wallpaper chosen....... listen to The Sound Output ?

THEN if needed, ajust.*drinks*

Maybe use sound panels......... Most 'Normal' ajusted people,,,,, do NOT need to use accustic panels or any such thing...... Go and Enjoy, The Movie

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
acoustic treatment is one of those things you might listen to HiFi for 50 years without it 1 day with and your never going back to without.

I will be making a video about it soon but I don't have all the video and sound for it yet. It will be an extreme case but one that demonstrates the situation :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
acoustic treatment is one of those things you might listen to HiFi for 50 years without it 1 day with and your never going back to without.

I will be making a video about it soon but I don't have all the video and sound for it yet. It will be an extreme case but one that demonstrates the situation :)

I remember both you and insider9 mentioning the upgrade room treatments give. Since, iam in a living room, I can probably only do something on my rear wall, as long as it doesn't look like a acoustic treatment in the first place :)

Secondly I will have to depend on electronics to mitigate the room to the extent possible. Maybe dirac can help me here, but I don't know by how much.

Iam already trying to find any companies selling the fancy looking acoustic panels that are available in uk now.

Will look forward to your video :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
eq helps with freq response but not decay with the exception of bass

some rooms will be luckier than others depending on construction but not 100% on that.
The differences between wood and glass have been tested and there is supposed to be no difference there but people I think hear a difference which is interesting in itself.

Sometimes a little can have a big effect on imaging but not on bass however you are looking at that separately with room eq.

GIK just launched an app where you use alternative reality to put their panel up to see how they will look. To me that's as cool as it gets. I made a video about it at Munich and will get it up soon as I can. swamped atm in a good way :)

http://www.gikacoustics.com/room-acoustics-visualizer/#training

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
ellisdj said:

Yes. It usually requires a couple of weeks and some fairly punchy antibiotics. *smile*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all...

I've found this online shop selling some modern art. A 5x5 feet of modern oil paint over canvas. I just asked for the canvas without the frame. I have carpenters around to frame it to my liking. With the intention of stuffing some acoustic treatment in the back. A read on available acoustic materials has given me too many options. Pyramid shaped diffusers, sound absorption panels and glass wool panels too. I can make the entire Mount around 2 to 4 inches thick. Should I wait till my umik-1 arrives to decide which material to use. And will having a 5x5 panel right behind my ears give me the results I want. Or should I add two panels to cover 10x5 feet.

Iam presently in a 11x17ft room with the pmc twenty 26 firing across the shorter width of the room. The same system used to sound splendid in my dining room of 11x22 ft. I maintained the same equilateral triangle there of 8 ft, as in my present living room. But in the dining the back wall was almost 13ft away, but now its only about one feet. And I can say without measuring that in my present room, the sound just sucks. Iam so dejected at the moment, for having spent so much for such terrible sound. In fact I had some cousins over yesterday, and asked me to play some music on my system. I was so embarrassed, I lied that my amp had died. Please suggest what can I do with minimum intervention in my living room's aesthetics to get the magic back. Thanks in advance....

insider9

Depends on how everything is setup. Your listening from more than 2 channels ads complexity when it comes to treatment. You'll have many more reflection points. I'd say wait for UMIK than take measurements, if you want to post your room how it's setup that would help. Diagram would be all we need.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Depends on how everything is setup. Your listening from more than 2 channels ads complexity when it comes to treatment. You'll have many more reflection points. I'd say wait for UMIK than take measurements, if you want to post your room how it's setup that would help. Diagram would be all we need.

Will wait till the umik-1 arrives. Just one of these things..where I need a reassurance that all will be okay. I've focused on audio more than anything in the last 4 years, and just a change of location buggering everything up is upsetting me now.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
It's the best time to do it. You've got a new place and UMIK on the way. Then you can figure out what needs doing and it what order of importance.

Iam banking on you and ellisdj to bail me out :)

Otherwise iam just pecking for fights outside :D

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
you can't just use any old material as a cover for an acoustic panel - it needs to be open weave - if you can easily breathe through it it's ok.

If you can't it's not much different to the bear wall at mid to high freqs

Thicker is to try and lower the freq the panel will work to.

the rear wall is normally an ok place for a thicker panel but ideally you want 4inch with a 2 inch air gap - then you need to buy the right density of insulation.

Don't expect miracles from just one panel but you will notice a difference for sure.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
you can't just use any old material as a cover for an acoustic panel - it needs to be open weave - if you can easily breathe through it it's ok.

If you can't it's not much different to the bear wall at mid to high freqs

Thicker is to try and lower the freq the panel will work to.

the rear wall is normally an ok place for a thicker panel but ideally you want 4inch with a 2 inch air gap - then you need to buy the right density of insulation.

Don't expect miracles from just one panel but you will notice a difference for sure.

Will check out the painting when it arrives. Though iam quiet certain that it will not be breathable with the oil paint on top. Anyways will wait till they arrive. The umik-1 should be here by the 16th. Can't wait to see what's buggering my sound :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Newlash GIK are running a special offer for their new art panels.
With the art panels you can put any picture you want on them.

Pretty sure it's 25% off atm so a great time to buy

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Newlash GIK are running a special offer for their new art panels.
With the art panels you can put any picture you want on them.

Pretty sure it's 25% off atm so a great time to buy

That's great news indeed. Also found that gik also have their distributor in India. Will send him off an email now. Thanks a lot :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts